Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2020, 03:41 PM   #29

Sorry about the above post. Iím to late to edit or delete it.

Talked to Randy at BestConverters and told him what I have and what I wanted and he advised me to go another direction than what I was thinking.

Looks like I have a new PD4655L Wildcat converter on the way and he says it will work fine with the 630ah battery bank and shouldnít take much more than 3 hours to get the bank up to 90%

Thank you everyone for your help
Ken
Zoomschwortz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2020, 10:25 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomschwortz View Post
Sorry about the above post. Iím to late to edit or delete it.

Talked to Randy at BestConverters and told him what I have and what I wanted and he advised me to go another direction than what I was thinking.

Looks like I have a new PD4655L Wildcat converter on the way and he says it will work fine with the 630ah battery bank and shouldnít take much more than 3 hours to get the bank up to 90%

Thank you everyone for your help
Ken

Randy is the man...so I did a experiment also, as I work at a dealer, I had a brand new trailer in my bay with a 8955 in it and also a grp 24 battery at 40 % SOC...i never saw more then 10 amps over several hours.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:01 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
he says it will work fine with the 630ah battery bank and shouldnít take much more than 3 hours to get the bank up to 90%
Maybe 3 hours to 90% from 70% SOC, not 50%. Per the original premise you were coming up from 50%. 50% to 90% is 40%, of 630Ah is 252Ah. You can't get there from here with a 55A converter in 3 hours. I noted in the "fine print" on the PD site "actual time will vary with battery size". So I get why they'd make that generalized statement based on a "typical" house battery but I'm surprised your expanded system capacity didn't enter in the conversation with a live person on the phone.

If you're still running 8ga from the original converter location to the battery it will only add charge time depending on the length of the run. 15 feet of 8ga (your run, I'm guessing) drops a volt at 50A so with dissipation alone you've lost 10% of your charge capacity and your battery is seeing a diminished terminal voltage. Nothing terrible, it will come up eventually but just trying to set the expectation you're looking at probably 5-6 hours 50% to 90%. I really like the manual mode feature of the PD units but it doesn't appear the voltages are adjustable. Next time you talk to Randy find out why their charge phase setpoints (bulk, absorb, equalize) are totally off from battery manufacturer data sheets (Trojan specifically). I tried contacting PD through their website about this and never got a reply.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:48 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
Maybe 3 hours to 90% from 70% SOC, not 50%. Per the original premise you were coming up from 50%. 50% to 90% is 40%, of 630Ah is 252Ah. You can't get there from here with a 55A converter in 3 hours. I noted in the "fine print" on the PD site "actual time will vary with battery size". So I get why they'd make that generalized statement based on a "typical" house battery but I'm surprised your expanded system capacity didn't enter in the conversation with a live person on the phone.

If you're still running 8ga from the original converter location to the battery it will only add charge time depending on the length of the run. 15 feet of 8ga (your run, I'm guessing) drops a volt at 50A so with dissipation alone you've lost 10% of your charge capacity and your battery is seeing a diminished terminal voltage. Nothing terrible, it will come up eventually but just trying to set the expectation you're looking at probably 5-6 hours 50% to 90%. I really like the manual mode feature of the PD units but it doesn't appear the voltages are adjustable. Next time you talk to Randy find out why their charge phase setpoints (bulk, absorb, equalize) are totally off from battery manufacturer data sheets (Trojan specifically). I tried contacting PD through their website about this and never got a reply.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
I did tell Randy that I have a 630ah battery bank and I also asked if I should replace the 8ga wire with a larger cable and Randy said that the 8ga will be fine.

I was a little surprised by what Randy had to say, but after playing around with the 8955pec and doing some investigation of the trailers breakers, 120ac and 12vdc I found that I would need to make a lot of changes to run an 80-90 amp charger.

I decided that since the PD4655L is much better than the converter/charger that I presently have and will be fast and easy to install, I will give it a try. If the PD4655L does not do what I want, as well as I want, it will still do the job better than what I already have.

PLAN B:
In the probable chance that the PD4655 takes too long to charge my batteries, I plan on buying another, larger converter/charger in the 80-90 amp range and make it a stand alone charging system. I will mount it in the forward hold, within 1 foot of my battery bank, requiring less than 5 foot of cable from charger to the batteries. I will then add a weather proof, 30amp plug on the hitch for my generator to connect to this standalone charging system.

Other than the added cost of adding another converter/charger, do you see any issues with Plan B?

Thanks
Ken
Old 05-01-2020, 09:24 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomschwortz View Post
Randy said that the 8ga will be fine.
It will work fine. That's all I'm running too but I'm not terribly concerned about recovery time. Just one of those variables that only you will know if it's worth the effort and expense to make an incremental improvement. Like anything else, the last 10% of performance is hard fought and expensive.

Quote:
the PD4655L is much better than the converter/charger that I presently have and will be fast and easy to install, I will give it a try.
it will still do the job better than what I already have.
On board with you there, don't let perfection be the enemy of good enough.

Quote:
PLAN B:another, larger converter/charger
Yep, that could work.

Quote:
add a weather proof, 30amp plug
You'd be OK with a 20A circuit for that but 30A wouldn't hurt. I like the idea of a dedicated input, then you're not mucking with the stock AC configuration.

Quote:
do you see any issues with Plan B?
Not technically. You have an operational goal in mind for your setup and there are only so many ways to make that happen.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Old 05-01-2020, 10:29 AM   #34

Thanks Mark 👍
Old 04-07-2021, 10:35 AM   #35

This is a great thread! Lots of good info.
I too have the WF-8955 converter.
I have two GC2 batteries from Canadian Tire (230AH) About a year old now.

Below is the charge cycle of the batteries. Is this a normal cycle?
The batteries reported at 80% at the time the trailer was plugged in.
I too am looking for a faster charge time from the Genny (boondocking)
To me, this is still charging after 13 hours and hasn't entered the float stage yet?

I have purchased the PD4655V and awaiting delivery. Hoping for a decent improvement with the new charger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GC2x2-Charge Cycle.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	324174  
Mogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:39 PM   #36

You'll probably do a LOT better with the PD charger
See my post at #22 on this thread
No problems since I did the change. Just what I wanted.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:46 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Assuming here your monitor is logging battery terminal voltage.

It looks "normal" except it's not reaching absorb voltage. My first guess is that there might be some cable or terminal resistance between the charger and the batteries such that it's reaching absorb voltage at the charger and it "thinks" it's done, but by the time it reaches the batteries the voltage is diminished. That'd be the first thing I'd check anyway, easily enough by starting a charge cycle and comparing the voltages right at the battery, then right at the charger.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Old 04-08-2021, 09:37 AM   #38

This morning I received an email notice of activity on this thread and have just finished reading the entire thread. I am embarrassed and apologize for never finishing this thread with my final results.

First I want to thank everyone for taking the time to help me and for sharing their knowledge, you were a great help, Thank You.

2020 for me as a camping ear left a lot to be desired, due to all the Covid-19 restrictions.

I had a few chances for off grid use of the trailer including cold weather use where the furnace was used 24 hours a day for a couple days at a time.

So far, everything has met or exceeded my expectations and I am hoping that 2021 will allow greater opportunities for off grid camping.

I will try to add some pictures of the battery security box I made last year.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0CBE7A59-DC46-477E-90DC-464A9B01B84D.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	361.6 KB
ID:	324270   Click image for larger version

Name:	2F81CC48-7629-410E-BF22-365D6B544CE3.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	324271  

Old 04-08-2021, 09:40 AM   #39

More pictures

They certainly increased the tongue weight😉
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	012EC0E3-E5F0-480A-A457-F947464CCD8B.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	393.2 KB
ID:	324274   Click image for larger version

Name:	46100F87-E40A-47AC-BA5B-C0CC739EC3CA.jpg
Size:	386.0 KB
ID:	324275  

Name:	B6D27D14-E968-45F1-9CD4-49F9B73A3EB6.jpg
Size:	366.0 KB
ID:	324276  
Old 04-09-2021, 09:06 AM   #40

Thanks Cliffy and Mark. Good to know!
I got a little daughter board with the new PD4655V.
I wasn't planning to change it out, but I see that's where the charge wizard is located.
So I guess I'll replace it too as its that wizard I was wanting.

I'll be monitoring the system after the upgrade. If the charging still doesn't look right, I'll be upgrading the main wire to/from the battery... I'm guessing its about 20 feet or so after all the routing I have to do.
What is the max cable size that will fit in the PD4655V connectors?

Was looking at welding cables at 2awg, But looks like 4awg will be sufficient.
Any thoughts on that copper clad aluminum wire? or stick with pure copper?

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2021, 09:31 AM   #41

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogal View Post
Thanks Cliffy and Mark. Good to know!
I got a little daughter board with the new PD4655V.
I wasn't planning to change it out, but I see that's where the charge wizard is located.
So I guess I'll replace it too as its that wizard I was wanting.

I'll be monitoring the system after the upgrade. If the charging still doesn't look right, I'll be upgrading the main wire to/from the battery... I'm guessing its about 20 feet or so after all the routing I have to do.
What is the max cable size that will fit in the PD4655V connectors?

Was looking at welding cables at 2awg, But looks like 4awg will be sufficient.
Any thoughts on that copper clad aluminum wire? or stick with pure copper?

Thanks!
If you plan to use the Charge Wizard remote then you don't need to swap out the 12V distribution board. See the pic below of my PD4655 install. The remote will plug in where indicated instead of the jumper cable that routes to the 12V distribution board.

While I have the remote I didn't find an appropriate place to mount it within the distance allowed by its cable so I swapped the 12V distribution board and used the supplied jumper cable to wire the charge wizard to the push button on the 12V distribution board. The directions were not clear about this at all so I emailed Randy at bestconverter.com for clarification.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1952.jpeg
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	324389  
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:07 AM   #42

Thanks for confirming those hook-ups for me.
I don't have the pendant, and the one that I see on amazon states its for the 9200 series... Will this one work?
(Progressive Dynamics PD92201V Status Remote Pendant for Inteli-Power 9200 Series)
- Ah! Just found the PDF instructions to change out the connector!
I'll purchase the pendant and keep a back-up of the board.

Tags
batteries