Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2021, 01:53 PM   #43

Sorry, another question.
The biggest gauged wires there, the ones on the DC side. (6ga?)
I presume that they go to the frame and battery?

That white one should run to the battery right? There are NO wires anywhere near that size, in or around the battery at all.
There is a little distribution block that wires lead into then off to the battery. (located just behind the battery box on the frame) All these wires are smaller in diameter, maybe 10-12ga?

Any idea where those white/black wires run to? (Some junction box somewhere?)
It's pouring rain out right now, so I'll take a peak after it dries up some.
Mogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2021, 02:38 PM   #44

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogal View Post
Sorry, another question.
The biggest gauged wires there, the ones on the DC side. (6ga?)
I presume that they go to the frame and battery?

That white one should run to the battery right? There are NO wires anywhere near that size, in or around the battery at all.
There is a little distribution block that wires lead into then off to the battery. (located just behind the battery box on the frame) All these wires are smaller in diameter, maybe 10-12ga?

Any idea where those white/black wires run to? (Some junction box somewhere?)
It's pouring rain out right now, so I'll take a peak after it dries up some.
The large gauge red and white wires disappear into a bundle of wires behind the power center but they run up front to a small compartment just behind the tongue where there are a number of buss bars and connections get consolidated to go to/from the battery.

As far as the other "white/black" wires - I'm assuming you are referring to the two wires in the slightly smaller lugs just below the large white wire on the 12V distribution board. If so, those bring the 12V from the converter/charger. You can see them come across the top left corner of the fan and then drop down to the converter board just to the left of where the Charge Wizard connection is shown.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:49 AM   #45

Use multi-strand copper wire only.

Aluminum has several "problems" when compared to copper wiring and requires special connectors and equipment connections to be correctly installed.

Stay with copper wire. It conducts better anyway so you won't have to go to a larger size wire for the same current capacity.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:04 PM   #46

Hi all, thanks for all the info!
I have completed the install of the new PD 4655V (Replacing the WF-8955)

I was playing with the wires upfront on the trailer with all the little distribution blocks.
I moved a couple wires around and cleaned all the contacts. This improved the volts/amps to the battery by a descent amount)

My portable solar panel (100watt) says its outputting 14.7v (at the controller) and 13.62v is reaching the battery. So a loss of 0.08 volts.
This also translates from 1.6amps from the panel to to 1.2 amps at the battery. (I figure around 0.35 amp loss) (Battery is almost full)
- Will a bigger cable (2awg) make much more of a difference?

I believe the charge cable is 6awg and is about 15-18 feet from the converter to the distribution block by the battery, then a 2awg gage wire running to the battery from the block. about 2 feet long.

How low does the battery have to be in order to get the charger to automatically drop into boost mode? I had the battery around 80% when the new controller was turned on and it went into 'normal mode' and was charging at 13.6v (my solar panel defaults to 14.7 charging - so I am actually getting a better charge from the solar panel) - I don't have the PD4655 manual pendent yet to manually change modes. Hope to have that by the end of the day.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:45 PM   #47

Huh, I got the charge wizard tonight. Fixed up the connecters as instructed, and nothing.
No lights show on the wizard, and the button doesn't seem to do anything.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:32 AM   #48

Can't edit posts, so a small update.
I found my issue, and it was a bad connection I made at the plug.
Redid my crimps and vola! I have a working pendant.

Thanks everyone.

Tags
batteries