Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #1

Batteries over charging

i have a 2001 monaco dynasty and when generator is running or if i am pluged into shore power the batteries charge all the time all the water in the coach batteries all boiled out anyone ever had this problem and what can i do to stop this from happining thankyou for any help please
alfredcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Sounds like a bad inverter/ converter.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredcycle View Post
i have a 2001 monaco dynasty and when generator is running or if i am pluged into shore power the batteries charge all the time all the water in the coach batteries all boiled out anyone ever had this problem and what can i do to stop this from happining thankyou for any help please
alfredcycle
See the Owner's Manual for your inverter/charger, then check and set, (or re-set), the "charging parameters".
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:41 PM   #4

You are in Florida so there may be nothing wrong with your charging system and you could just have old batteries that need replacing. What brand batteries are we talking about and how old are they? I have found that the Walmart EverStart deep cycle batteries last about 2 years in the Florida heat and then their done.

Even after upgrading to a Progressive charger/converter with the Charge Wizard the Walmart Batteries still would not last more than two years here in Tampa Bay Florida.

Check the battery voltage after they are charged and see if it stays around 12.8 for a hour or so with no load or just starts dropping down in short order to 11 or lower.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
You are in Florida so there may be nothing wrong with your charging system and you could just have old batteries that need replacing. What brand batteries are we talking about and how old are they? I have found that the Walmart EverStart deep cycle batteries last about 2 years in the Florida heat and then their done.
NeilV
If "the Walmart EverStart deep cycle batteries last about 2 years in the Florida heat and then their done",
IMO either:
1.) You don't have a 3 stage automatic charger in your inverter/charger.
2.) Your charge settings are wrong.
3.) Your inverter/charger is bad.
4.) Walmart batteries are no good in the 1st place.

In my coach, the original 4 Interstate deep cycle 12V house batteries lasted 11 years......
the second set of 4, (which are Northern Batteries), is 6 years old.

My coach always has shore power, (except when traveling or boondocking), therefore the 3 stage charger in my Freedom 20 inverter/charger is nearly constantly monitoring/maintaining my house batteries.

BTW, I check the electrolyte level every 3 months but I only need to add water every 6-9 months.

Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:15 AM   #6

Search here for battery troubleshooting chargers and maintenance.

Many do not like responses like this but batteries are very common threads and there is enough material on this forum to keep one reading for days.

Read up then apply what you learn to your situation and take notes.

Come back with questions if you have them but have good questions with data that we can use to help you.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My replacement batteries from Walmart lasted as long as the original Interstates, warm climate and all.
Blog at www.pjrider.com
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a solar panel? Does it have a charge controller? In our case it was not the inverter/charger that went bad and was letting the batteries over charge it was the solar controller that was not telling them to stop charging.
Not sure if it's true but the Interstate store guys when we bought new ones told us that since the controller was the original from 20 yrs ago that there was no "stopper" on it to tell it no more. We got a new one and no more problems.
Yes we did end up changng out the inverter/charger but that was 9 months later. And that was cause it was only a 1500 watt mod wave and the microwave/convection oven was wanting 1600 watts, ended up breaking both and needing to replace both.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Search here for battery troubleshooting chargers and maintenance.

Many do not like responses like this but batteries are very common threads and there is enough material on this forum to keep one reading for days.

Read up then apply what you learn to your situation and take notes.

Come back with questions if you have them but have good questions with data that we can use to help you.
You can count me in the group that doesn't like this kind of response.

Who gets to decide if a question is a "good question" or not?

Have a very special day.....
Old 01-22-2014, 04:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
NeilV
If "the Walmart EverStart deep cycle batteries last about 2 years in the Florida heat and then their done",
IMO either:
1.) You don't have a 3 stage automatic charger in your inverter/charger.
2.) Your charge settings are wrong.
3.) Your inverter/charger is bad.
4.) Walmart batteries are no good in the 1st place.

In my coach, the original 4 Interstate deep cycle 12V house batteries lasted 11 years......
the second set of 4, (which are Northern Batteries), is 6 years old.

My coach always has shore power, (except when traveling or boondocking), therefore the 3 stage charger in my Freedom 20 inverter/charger is nearly constantly monitoring/maintaining my house batteries.

BTW, I check the electrolyte level every 3 months but I only need to add water every 6-9 months.

Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
I have a PD9260C - 60 Amp RV Converter/Charger with the Charge Wizard Pendant:

PD9260C 60 Amp RV Power Converter Charger from Progressive Dynamics

Converter Status Remote Pendant

http://www.progressivedyn.com/prod_d...ndant_card.pdf

After 3 sets of Walmart batteries I agree that they are junk. I do not full time and the coach is not powered up in storage so I have to start it up monthly and run the generator or go plug in somewhere to keep the batteries going.

The original Interstate batteries lasted quite some time even on the old Magnum Charger/Converter however it was when I went over to the Walmart batteries and started having failures I was told obviously it was the Magnum units fault so I replaced it with the Progressive Charger/Converter. Now that the Walmart batteries are gone no more failures. Could be that the local Walmart supply chain is sub-par but...
Old 01-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #11

Right on TQ60. I also frequently get in trouble for being too direct. I've come to realize that many posters just want to talk, like around a campfire. Also, if everyone that really wanted information, and used the search method, the lower participation could lower the income of the forum overall.

IMHO

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #12

Bad question
Why are my batteries dead ?

Good question
We have a set of 2 year old batteries with a brand x converter the does not seem to charge the batteries. I have a voltmeter but need to know best process for confirming voltage and what range should it be.

One could search a little and know what the voltage should be but we should not expect everyone to have the skills to understand what the results of the search but they should be able to get enough understanding to ask a question that will focus on the issue instead of how to determine the issue before troubleshooting can begin.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #13
def

Send a message via Yahoo to def
Your batteries are dead because they are;

1- Damaged beyond repair.
2- Not being charged by the inverter charger.
3- Load exceeds the capacity of the inverter charger.

Check the following;

1- Plug the coach into shore power and confirm you have 120VAC at the inverter charger.
2- Insure that the inverter charger is in the battery charge mode.
3- Using a VOM, read battery voltage before powering and after powering the inverter charger. Note any difference.
4- If the inverter charger is operating properly and configured to charge batteries, you should read in the neighborhood of 14 VDC when charging.
5- Power off the inverter charger and apply a load to the 12 VDC system like lights or some other 12 volt appliance. Again, read the voltage at the batteries. You should see 12+ VDC at the batteries. If not, your batteries are worn out.

If the inverter charger is not charging, you'll need to replace it. Repairs are usually not economical.

I recently replaced the inverter charger in my coach with a used AIMS Power 2000 PSW (pure sine wave) inverter charger off their website, free shipping, full factory warranty and am very pleased with the performance as well as customer support. My house batteries have never been happier.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Bad question
Why are my batteries dead ?

Good question
We have a set of 2 year old batteries with a brand x converter the does not seem to charge the batteries. I have a voltmeter but need to know best process for confirming voltage and what range should it be.

One could search a little and know what the voltage should be but we should not expect everyone to have the skills to understand what the results of the search but they should be able to get enough understanding to ask a question that will focus on the issue instead of how to determine the issue before troubleshooting can begin.
I see. So, everyone should be required to pass an RVT (similar to an SAT) before asking a question on your forum? That way they won't waste your valuable time.

How about letting those who wish to try to help the obviously less informed or less capable RV beginners, go ahead and offer help, (or maybe ask the OP for the missing information), and you can just sit back and keep quiet? Would that work, you think?

Tags
batteries, charging