Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2021, 03:18 PM   #1

Question Battery and Inverter Install

The last part of my inverter install came today. Three new SOK Batteries. I have the batteries, a new Magnum Energy MS2812-L-U inverter charger, and a Magnum ME-RC50-L Remote Control with the battery monitor shunt. What I'm looking for are the additional little things I might need to order before starting. Battery shut off switches, fuses, do-hickies, and anything else that might make this go smoother once I get started. I'm not planning on doing solar at the moment. But if adding something now might make things easier later, I'm all for it. I've seen some really clean installs on here. Most of them include solar.

What other goodies do I need to order to help make this install a success?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SOK.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	333193  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2021, 05:19 PM   #2

Can-o-worms...

Make a good wiring diagram. Think of future things and make accommodations for expansion of the system, such as 4 post bus bars instead of 1-2 post versions. Layout the setup for additional breakers, etc. My diagram is 98% implemented as shown. Only moved some cutoffs around in actual install. The image I attached is when I was about 80% complete with my install

For me, I have a 3000W inverter charger, 400Ah of batteries, 400W of solar with a 40A MPPT controller and a 40A DC-DC charger. Plus a few other small things wired up. I did it in phases but the design was for everything I wanted to do.

I have a 300A t-fuse from GoPower and 300A marine battery cutoff between the batteries and the inverter charger so I can be 100% sure the inverter does not get powered on when not needed. A 75A cutoff between the batteries and the original house 12V (but still have constant power to brakes and LP/CO sensors. 40A breakers for solar and DC-DC.

I spend over $600 just in wire of various sizes but all high quality, all copper crimp terminals, two sizes of crimping tools, multiple sizes of heat shrink, bus bars, terminal posts, a ton of wire loom of various sizes, expanding foam/sealant, waterproof AC conduit, zip ties, waterproof junction box, and other little things.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wiring_overview.PNG
Views:	22
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	333213   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210213_102812.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	333214  

Old 06-25-2021, 12:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelSolo View Post
Think of future things and make accommodations for expansion of the system, such as 4 post bus bars instead of 1-2 post versions.
I'm curious, it it acceptable to have two bus bars on the same wire run? eg Can I have a 2/0 going from each battery to a bus bar and 4/0 going that bus bar to a battery cut off switch? Then a 4/0 going from the battery cut off switch to another bus bar for the other connections?

Quote:
I have a 300A t-fuse from GoPower
Is there a benefit or reason for using a fuse vs a circuit breaker?
Quote:
two sizes of crimping tools
I'm looking at buying a "Hydraulic Cable Lug Crimper" Is there something else you'd recommend or perhaps might work better?
Quote:
I spend over $600 just in wire of various sizes but all high quality, all copper crimp terminals, two sizes of crimping tools, multiple sizes of heat shrink, bus bars, terminal posts, a ton of wire loom of various sizes, expanding foam/sealant, waterproof AC conduit, zip ties, waterproof junction box, and other little things.
I can see how this quickly adds up. I prefer to use non amazon stores when possible. Is there someplace you recommend for these things?
Old 06-25-2021, 03:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1361 View Post
I'm curious, it it acceptable to have two bus bars on the same wire run? eg Can I have a 2/0 going from each battery to a bus bar and 4/0 going that bus bar to a battery cut off switch? Then a 4/0 going from the battery cut off switch to another bus bar for the other connections?
As long as the bus bar and wiring can handle the amps then sure. I do always get lost when it comes to DC flow issues. Once the batteries are all parallel the amps add up but across the terminals and flowing through that 2/0 is the part I get lost at. I just made up 4/0 jumpers to connect the batteries, see the attached image. No bus bar needed then.
Quote:
Is there a benefit or reason for using a fuse vs a circuit breaker?
I stand a better chance of finding a 300A glass t-fuse than a 300A CB. Only reason, well that and I trust a fuse more than any 300A CB I want to spend money on.
Quote:
I'm looking at buying a "Hydraulic Cable Lug Crimper" Is there something else you'd recommend or perhaps might work better?
That should work fine. I did buy two crimpers, one for larger and one for smaller, and both combined were half the price of that one. Cheap foreign made stuff, but I don't expect to have to really use them again.
Quote:
I can see how this quickly adds up. I prefer to use non amazon stores when possible. Is there someplace you recommend for these things?
Sorry, I sold my soul to Bezos on my upgrades. Batteries were direct from mfg, solar kit was from Rich, but everything else was Amazon because they could often deliver same or next day when I realized I needed it. And it was often cheaper via the mfg "store" on Amazon than it was direct from mfg
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210130_140457.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	309.0 KB
ID:	333595  
Old 06-26-2021, 11:42 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am doing a similar upgrade to my Entegra coach. I will be using the SOK batteries, (3X-200AH) I am also going to use the Victron Energy Lynx distribution bus system. Very robust and makes for a professional & clean install.
It seems a bit expensive until you start adding up all the bits and pieces for a quality bus bar system. Only downside is that its a bit large in size.
Check it out.

https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-distribution-systems
Bob
2015 Entegra Anthem.
RVWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 10:56 AM   #6

This is a nice looking unit, but it uses Mega fuses. Victron says it's OK with Mega fuses. Magnum Energy recommends the Class T fuses. I'd feel better going with Class T fuses to preserve my warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVWheeler View Post
I am doing a similar upgrade to my Entegra coach. I will be using the SOK batteries, (3X-200AH) I am also going to use the Victron Energy Lynx distribution bus system. Very robust and makes for a professional & clean install.
It seems a bit expensive until you start adding up all the bits and pieces for a quality bus bar system. Only downside is that its a bit large in size.
Check it out.

https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-distribution-systems
Bob
2015 Entegra Anthem.
Old 06-28-2021, 11:17 AM   #7

On a side note, would there be any benefit or danger using a 400 amp class t fuse ratter than a 300 amp? the batteries are rated for 100 amp draw on each for 300 total. My inverter can handle a 5 sec surge of up to 3900 watts. That would be roughly 325 amps at 12 volts. I'm not sure how my batteries would react to that surge. I'll likely never see that kind of usage. However, I want to set up my system with proper protections. Would I be better off sticking to the 300 amp fuse, or use the 400 amp fuse? My understanding is it's more for dead short protection rather than protecting from heavy use.

Does anyone have any input in this regard?
Old 06-28-2021, 12:01 PM   #8

Quote:
On a side note, would there be any benefit or danger using a 400 amp class t fuse ratter than a 300 amp? the batteries are rated for 100 amp draw on each for 300 total. My inverter can handle a 5 sec surge of up to 3900 watts. That would be roughly 325 amps at 12 volts. I'm not sure how my batteries would react to that surge. I'll likely never see that kind of usage. However, I want to set up my system with proper protections. Would I be better off sticking to the 300 amp fuse, or use the 400 amp fuse? My understanding is it's more for dead short protection rather than protecting from heavy use.

Does anyone have any input in this regard?
As long as the cables can handle 400 amps, your good. Most inverter cables can handle that and more.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:00 PM   #9

I had to modify the slide stops for the back of the drawers. But I managed to get the batteries dry fit into their spot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Batt1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	334369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Batt2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	334370  

Tags
inverter, battery, install