Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2018, 09:54 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Battery connections and shunt

My WBGO Adventurer has 4-12v AGM batteries. Wired in parallel the neg terminals are connected together and so are the positive terminals.
However... not totally.

The batteries are installed in the battery bay like this - two in front and two behind:
Rear of the battery bay : 3-4
Front of the battery bay: 2-1

On the negative side one cable goes to the chassis ground stud (from what I would call battery No. 3 in illustration above). But there is an equal size (01 gauge) battery wire on the negative side of battery No. 4 that runs directly to the inverter ground. I hope that makes sense.

I'm installing a shunt for a magnum inverter battery monitor kit and I know I need to take ALL load side negs and put them on the load side of the shunt. BUT now the question arises, do I need to run two cables from the feed side of the shunt back to the batteries - as in one cable to battery #4 and one cable to battery #3?

It seems that after connecting all the load side negatives to the shunt I would then connect only one feed side neg back to the battery bank. And that the shunt would act like a bus-bar and running multiple cables on the feed side would be unnecessary.

Any battery advice here would be appreciated.

Here's the official wiring diagram of my batteries:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 11.08.12 AM.png
Views:	82
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	218096  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2018, 10:14 AM   #2

All of the neg cables go to the shunt.

Then run new cables to the neg of all of the batteries from the other side of the shunt. No chassis grounds from batteries.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
All of the neg cables go to the shunt.

Then run new cables to the neg of all of the batteries from the other side of the shunt. No chassis grounds from batteries.
You said "cables" plural - so I should run two neg feed side cables from the feed side of the shunt to the each of the two rear batteries in the parallel chain? Mimic the OEM "pre-shunt" setup?
Old 09-08-2018, 11:38 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All wires going to any negative terminals need to now go to the shunt. Then just one wire from the shunt to the battery bank negative.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:16 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
All wires going to any negative terminals need to now go to the shunt. Then just one wire from the shunt to the battery bank negative.
This is the essence of my question. Is vsheetz correct or is twinboat correct (as I understand what he's saying.)

I know full well that all negative cables removed between the battery and the coach loads go to the load side of the shunt.

But I don't know why WBGO ran two separate neg cables from two separate batteries to two separate loads: the inverter and the chassis.

A friend on the WBGO forum says I need to run two cables from the shunt to the batteries.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:47 PM   #6

There should be a neg jumper between the battery neg posts along with the inverter neg and chassis neg.

If its there, use 1 new cable. If its not, run two new cables.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:47 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Either way would be ok. I'd simplify and make just the one point for current draw on the bank.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:30 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm pretty sure there is NOT a neg cable between the post where the inverter neg cable connects to battery #3 and the neg post on battery #4. I agree there should be one. I wonder what possessed them to do it this way?

There is not one showing in the diagram - and I don't remember seeing one on the battery bank.

I was 1/2 way through this install and it's started raining. So, I'll have to wait and see.

I may correct this and just run a cable from #3 neg to #4 neg and just run one cable from the feed/battery side of the shunt to the the #4 bat neg post.

Thanks for the help. You guys have confirmed all my assumptions about what's needed.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:43 PM   #9

If you follow the blue lines, I see cables and jumpers connected to all 4 battery negatives.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2018-09-08-16-41-22.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	218133
Old 09-08-2018, 05:38 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Since I removed both the chassis and the inverter neg cables to relocate them to the load side of the shunt I added a new cable from that 3rd battery to the fourth battery. Then I ran one cable from the battery side of the shunt to the neg terminal on the 4th battery.

Without that inverter neg connection on the 3rd battery there was no neg parallel neg connection all the way around otherwise.

In the end, space and the inflexibility of .01 cables pretty much forced the issue.

According to the Magnum ARC50 remote it's working as it should. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:51 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
On second thought... what I posted above was incorrect. I did not need to tie the #3 battery back to the #4 battery as I said I had done. It took a while but Twinboat's post (#9) finally sunk in after 12 hours and I corrected the wiring by removing the new cable I had added yesterday.

The Battery Monitor Kit is working well and I really like being able to know more about the condition of the batteries rather than the usual Full-2/3rds-1/3rd-Empty reading on my One Place monitor.

Thanks all for the help.

Tags
battery