Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2021, 11:01 AM   #1

Battery Issues

I unplugged my shore power today to power wash my 2004 Bounder - after about 4 hours I went to start MH the engine battery was dead. I know a couple of the same lights were on from the night before but the house batteries should have lasted longer than 4 hours? Right?

Now I plugged shore power in to MH.

Does the shore power automatically charge engine battery?

Do house batteries need replaced if the died after 4 hours and only 2 small lights on?

And where do I find the house batteries under the steps?

Need help appreciate any helpful responses.

I am still not completely sure how to post correctly on this site ...
Merriottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2021, 11:33 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriottr View Post
I unplugged my shore power today to power wash my 2004 Bounder - after about 4 hours I went to start MH the engine battery was dead. I know a couple of the same lights were on from the night before but the house batteries should have lasted longer than 4 hours? Right?

Now I plugged shore power in to MH.

Does the shore power automatically charge engine battery?

Do house batteries need replaced if the died after 4 hours and only 2 small lights on?

And where do I find the house batteries under the steps?

Need help appreciate any helpful responses.

I am still not completely sure how to post correctly on this site ...

so like most coaches you have a parasitic power drainage somewhere. Mine is usually the radio, so I have to double ck everything before I put my rig in storage mode. Not that all that should matter, guess I'm just OCD. But Storage mode for me is cutting off Engine batteries and house batteries. Which should cut off everything. All works fine, have only changed engine batteries 2x in 9 yrs.
As for starting the rig when the Engine batteries are drained...I don't know the Bounder, I know it's a nice rig, but that's it. Anyway, my rig has a Booster switch, which means that when I switch it on it takes power from the House batteries to Boost the Engine batteries and the rig should jump right on. Do you have said button/switch?
Also, how old are your batteries? maybe it's time for replacement.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:02 PM   #3

Still learning we got this in 2019 - and with 2020 being 2020 - we did not travel - it stayed plugged in to shore power - and I started the engine every so often - to keep thing working. Disengaged shore power and ran generator same time until fuel (gasoline) drop below the magic level where it won’t start generator.

Not quite sure what the draw could be - I pulled the old refrigerator out and put in a residential unit. I don’t think it would draw power from batteries not sure about.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:30 PM   #4

Find the house batteries and check the water.

Low water levels can cause 4 hour life and damage the batteries. If they have caps, you should have been checking them every 2 months or so.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 01:26 PM   #5

Yes finding the batteries is the key looking today...
Old 05-23-2021, 04:23 PM   #6

Found house batteries under steps 2 each in line connected but they are both 12volt batteries ever start deep cycle part number 24dc & value power BP 78?

I am completely confused now?
Old 05-23-2021, 04:26 PM   #7

Checking the charge on these to batteries now - both are around 10.8 and charging

My engine chassis battery completely dead won’t charge gives an code have service or replace ...
Old 05-23-2021, 05:16 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Checking the charge on these to batteries now - both are around 10.8 and charging

My engine chassis battery completely dead won’t charge gives an code have service or replace ...
So if you have a battery charger, that you plug in the wall and then connect the charger cables to the battery, you can put it on trickle over night for 6 hrs. If it doesn't fire up after that, you may have a dead cell in the battery. if it's under warranty, they'll give you a new one at no cost. But yeah if it's your battery, don't mess with that, get new ones, especially if they're over 3 yrs old.
Old 05-23-2021, 05:22 PM   #9

We have a 2008 tiffin phaeton and we are getting a message saying low voltage batteries. We have replaced all of the batteries in April 2021 and we are still getting this message. Also the main computer on the dash was replaced last fall. Does anybody have any idea why we would still be getting this message?
Motoryacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:15 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoryacht View Post
We have a 2008 tiffin phaeton and we are getting a message saying low voltage batteries. We have replaced all of the batteries in April 2021 and we are still getting this message. Also the main computer on the dash was replaced last fall. Does anybody have any idea why we would still be getting this message?
I don't know if this can help. But in my Chevy 300 i had a yr old battery. Car wouldn't start. I hooked it up to the charger after 6 hrs the needle wouldn't budge. I almost threw the charger away because i thought it was a cheap piece of junk. But I decided to take the battery back to the dealer. He got the same reading. he looked into the battery and found a defective cell, so he gave me a new battery. I too thought, how the Heck, it's a new battery only a yr old, but low and behold it was defective. Taking your rig in to have it ck'd cost a lot of $$. Have your batteries ck out 1, it's the cheaper of the 2 options. maybe your dash is telling the truth.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Found house batteries under steps 2 each in line connected but they are both 12volt batteries ever start deep cycle part number 24dc & value power BP 78?

I am completely confused now?
So you found 4 batteries ?

24DC are house batteries.

78 battery may be the start battery.

Check the water yet ?
Old 05-24-2021, 12:20 AM   #12

2 batteries (house) only 1 has water vents the other was maintenance free type no caps -
The one was low on water filled and put charger for the night - the other one
Maintenance free wont charge code says bad cell
Old 05-24-2021, 05:03 AM   #13

Quote:
2 batteries (house) only 1 has water vents the other was maintenance free type no caps -
The one was low on water filled and put charger for the night - the other one
Maintenance free wont charge code says bad cell
Someone changed one, at some time, and probably installed a start battery.

If the original deep cycle battery failed, the one you have left is due to die.

Since you now may have a bad battery and a wrong battery, its time to get a matched set of deep cycle batteries.

What to get, depends on how much off grid camping you want to do.

I use 2 GP31 Deep Cycle batteries from Sam's. The 6 volt batteries are too tall for my step.

You can also use 2 GP, GC2, 6 volt batteries if they fit. Best deep cycle battery for the buck.

If you don't want to check water, get Maintance Free, or AGM, depending on your budget.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:54 AM   #14

Good advice from Twinboat. If you decide to go with the 6V battery route for the house batteries here are the dimensions for the GC 2 batteries:
Height - 10.875"
Length - 10.250"
Width - 7.125"
The GC 2 batteries are deep cycle and probably the best bang for your buck if they will fit your compartment. You should get 4 - 5 years of normal use from these batteries if you keep the water level where it needs to be and keep them charged. You can step up to maintenance free or AGM depending upon how much you want to spend and how long you intend to own your camper.
The chassis battery, I would replace with a good quality maintenance free battery.

Tags
battery