Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2022, 01:43 PM   #1

BCC Issue

2014 bounder 35k. Doesn't charge consistently off shore power.
Been in same location for a couple months, so I start engine monthly. This month it wouldn't start, and aux start didn't help.
Battery monitoring gauge on dash showed chassis battery discharged and coach battery fully charged.
Started generator chassis and coach showed charged and engine started.
This has been going on a week or so, some days chassis battery is charging some days not.
With engine running and shore power off coach battery is charging from alternator.
I'm confused, I checked all connections and grounds, all tight and clean
Larry35k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2022, 02:12 PM   #2

If the BCC main relay is closed it will be very warm. An occasional walk by and check will reveal if it’s closed. Next time it’s not work backwards from there.

Safe travels.
radar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 02:46 PM   #3

The isolation solenoid can act up, not always connecting, even if it's powered up and warm.

The internal contacts can get burnt and pitted causing intermittent operation.

Test by measuring voltage on each large terminal when there is voltage on one of the small ones and your not seeing chassis battery charging.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 01:01 PM   #4

Thanks, I will test that the next time a catch it not charging.
Old 03-19-2022, 10:25 AM   #5

Ok, found chassis battery not charging again, down to 12.5. Was still on shore power, and coach battery was at 13.3.
Test results, had 13.3 at large lug on coach side of solenoid and 12.5 on lathe lug on the chassis side. No voltage to either of the small lugs.
So question what upstream is not signalling solenoid.
Still want to test in other direction, and see if alternator charges coach consistently. But can't unplug shore power that long, its 90 degrees here everyday.
Old 03-19-2022, 10:41 AM   #6

This document says that 13.3 volts output from the charging system to the coach batteries should trigger the system to activate the interconnect solenoid and start charging the chassis battery .

Note : I don't know the age of this document ,it's possible more up to date info is available at the BCC manufacturers web site.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BCC Mini Gas.pdf (634.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-19-2022, 02:02 PM   #7

Find and unplug inverter/chargers battery temp plug. It's marked BTS and it may bring up the voltage to 13.4 or more to see if the solenoid engages.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 12:50 PM   #8

Unplugged BTS no change.
Disconnected shore power one morning, both batteries at 13.3. Wanted to test if alternator would close solenoid. Waited 3 hours chassis battery dropped to 12.3, coach to 12.7.
Tried to start motor, just clicks. Hook shore power back up. Motor started right up.
Pulled chassis battery and had it load tested, and it was bad. Wasn't thinking battery since it was only 30 month old interstate.
Installed new chassis battery and all seems good for now.
Thanks for all the help, I was post again if anything changes.
Old 09-26-2022, 02:41 AM   #9

Intellitec BCC

I just resolved an issue where the coach output at the battery control center was losing a connection. It turned out that the copper bracket tang was not inserted into the wire lug. It was in behind instead. Seems it may have always been that way and I had to disassemble the BCC to get at the lug, the plastic chassis mount and the copper bracket which bridges the big boy solenoid and the other solenoid and insert the copper bracket tang back into the lug and remount it.

[IMG]https://photos.app.goo.gl/9nsJ9ohD3fjLBCsU9[IMG]

[IMG]https://photos.app.goo.gl/R1PG6bLsDcKCFMTv7[IMG]

JoeXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 05:29 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
video

Watch this video. This is a great video. I was having the same issue as yourself. I fixed mine by replacing solenoid. Video is long but very helpful.
Ledawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bcc