Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2018, 05:32 PM   #1

Best water filtration system today

It looks like a lot of the discussion on water filtration systems are getting old. I'm looking for the new. Not interested in the little filter you plug inline to the hose. I know that. Here is what I want and why....

1)Not worried about the price, so I don't want to know what is the cheapest.
2) Would like to filter all of the water and be able to fill my tanks even with the filtered water
3) Don't want counter-top devices taking up the precious little space we have for storage and counter. Have room in the basement to install and even under the counter has a generous pocket.
4) Would like to filter for taste as well as bio and contaminants.

This past summer, I found myself twice in locations where the water for the RV hookups was not good. One place was in the central valley of California....farmlands. Too much Nitrates in the water. Smelled bad and not good for you. Second was down in Baja CA....well, it's Mexico. The place we were at had water hookups, but it was not safe to drink.

I know in other places I've been, their well water was not great for many different reasons.

Would love to know from someone who has been in these kinds of locations and has installed a clean water system and potentially one large enough to fill your fresh water tanks.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2018, 07:52 PM   #2

Got a good chuckle, there is no answer to your question, the best option. Whole Foods water in 5 gallon bottles with spouts. Everything else cleans dishes & flushes toilets.

Nothing is ingested from the rig. Even ice is made just from the bottle, but that is just me.

It is too much infracture to try and keep clean, from too many different sources in different plumbing. The answer is to go simple, bottle, top, glass, clean every time. 39 cents a gallon, or trade bottles when out of Whole Foods range.

Want to know how much energy it takes to reverse osmosis 1 gallon of water, more than 39 cents.

I take my water/ice tea mix into restaurants because I do not trust anybody else's water. There are no certifications on restaurant water. The only good "cert" I found was in a Coke a Cola fountain using microban patented tech, that was some good water. Look for the stamp on the side of the fountain/ice machine.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post
Got a good chuckle, there is no answer to your question, the best option. Whole Foods water in 5 gallon bottles with spouts. Everything else cleans dishes & flushes toilets.

Nothing is ingested from the rig. Even ice is made just from the bottle, but that is just me.

It is too much infracture to try and keep clean, from too many different sources in different plumbing. The answer is to go simple, bottle, top, glass, clean every time. 39 cents a gallon, or trade bottles when out of Whole Foods range.

Want to know how much energy it takes to reverse osmosis 1 gallon of water, more than 39 cents.

I take my water/ice tea mix into restaurants because I do not trust anybody else's water. There are no certifications on restaurant water. The only good "cert" I found was in a Coke a Cola fountain using microban patented tech, that was some good water. Look for the stamp on the side of the fountain/ice machine.
Ok. I'm not quite that worked up over the water and driving back and forth from more remote areas to get the water may work for you, but the cost of gas would exceed that of RO for me.

I'm not concerned about the cost of RO, if others have used it and found it to do the job. Just don't know all the options and what works outside of their sales pitch and claims
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
Old 09-12-2018, 08:54 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Spend some time at the Water Filter Store site. Everything you need to know. https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/
Old 09-13-2018, 06:54 AM   #5

What you are asking for is totally impractical. Do you really think you need purified water in the toilet? You need a RO with booster pump system. Before you buy get some advice or it will be a disaster. Best of luck.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post

X2

I try to keep my fresh water system clean - sanitize before every trip but only use a basic filter on the filler. Water tank for washing / flushing type uses only. All consumed water including doggie dish is bottled. We don't lilt it to Whole Foods though, just the standard drinking water refilling kiosks at just about every supermarket.
Sneelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:12 PM   #7

Impractical to some

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadej View Post
What you are asking for is totally impractical. Do you really think you need purified water in the toilet? You need a RO with booster pump system. Before you buy get some advice or it will be a disaster. Best of luck.
I get what you are saying. It is not what you want or would do. Some of the links provided by others in this thread show options that I think will work pretty well. Talk with David at the RV Water Filtration Store...that was a good recommendation earlier in this thread. They have a Super Delux RO system that not only will do everything I need, but it come with a booster pump (in case the water pressure is too low) and a water level switch that i can install in my fresh water tank. Plug this unit in and it will automatically run when needed to keep the tank full. In addition, they have some sort of mineral additive system for the RO to help it be less acidic. For those that don't want to be driving back and forth to a store or washing their dishes in the nearby stream, this appears to be a good solution for us.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:48 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We drink our water as well as make ice that we use too. We have a external portable water softener that has a canister filter (charcoal) pre filter, then our coach has dual canister filters, one high quality sediment and taste filter, then another charcoal filter. Our household refrigerator has a changeable filter built into it for the ice maker and cold water dispenser. So our water is filtered 4 times before we taste it. Works great for where we go. I imagine if we were somewhere as you mentioned that had bad water to start with nothing would help that.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:56 PM   #9

We only filter the water we use for drinking and cooking and rinsing pots/pans/utensils after they have been cleaned. The rest of the water (cleaning, shower, toilet) is whatever comes out of water bib. Although we do use a sediment filter for the city water hookup.

For filtering we use a Berkey filter .

https://www.berkeywater.com/find-your-system
Old 09-14-2018, 08:50 AM   #10

gsgriffin what are you using to determine that the water is bad?
Reason I ask is I went to this CG recently and I was told in advance by more than one person that the "water is horrible and tastes horrible". We usually stay out for 4-5 days and I can fill the 105 gal tank at home and have enough if we are attentive to how much we use. This last trip was going to be 7 days so I knew we'd have to fill up at the CG.

My biggest worry was clogging up the screens on my city water inlet and also all my faucets (when I bought the coach and looked at the screens I thought I had found Gold - totally clogged and for the fixtures, very hard to find replacements). We have a 20 micron sediment filter that I use inline (purchased from rvwaterfilterstore.com) from the hose bib. We have a 5 micron charcoal on the Kitchen sink line (purchased from rvwaterfilterstore.com and it has some additive in it to keep the filter from getting nasty inside, since we are not full timers) that goes to a water dispenser. The main faucet at the sink is not extra filtered. I also bought a softener that I could store in my bays, since my bays don't have the height of newer coaches - and it can easily soften enough water to fill my fresh tank, depending on the hardness of the water, at least once and only requires a 1/2 gal of water to clean, where-as some of the bigger ones require you to run water through it for 20 minutes during the cleaning AND more to flush out the saltiness after that - I didn't want to waste that much water. See RV Stick https://watersticks.com/

We always pull from our tank using the pump, we don't leave the city water connected - just how we roll.

Also for this trip and going forward, I bought a total dissolved solids (TDS) meter and also got a hardness test kit. Before I hooked up to the CG water I ran the water from the hose bib a bit to clear out any rust and lizards, etc. and then filled a cup to test from. I used the TDS meter and it showed that the water had a 70 for TDS (my home has a 170) and then I did a hardness test strip and it was 120. Since I had a tank full of water from my home I pulled some from the tap and tested it and it showed a hardness of 250. I then tasted the water from the CG and it tasted as good or better than my water at my home. So everyone was saying how bad the water was at this CG and it ended up being better than at my home and I am on City Water at my home.

That being said, I filled my tank using the sediment filter and nothing else.

For the future I am contemplating getting another 5 micron charcoal to attach before the softener, if the testing comes back as needing it.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:29 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Not sure if you are looking for parts or a system. If it helps, I installed two 10" filters between shore water and holding tank and two more between holding tank and house. Yes, all water in the coach is filtered and I use it for drinking/cooking.

The first of each set of filters is a sediment filter, the second is a carbon filter. There are MANY different types/qualities of carbon filter. I'm no expert so won't attempt to explain.

The only problem I've had is that the very fine carbon filter (.5 micron) caused my water pump to short cycle. It just couldn't push the water thru very well. So, I 'downgraded' to a 2 micron element (if memory serves).

Old 09-14-2018, 10:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
Not sure if you are looking for parts or a system. If it helps, I installed two 10" filters between shore water and holding tank and two more between holding tank and house. Yes, all water in the coach is filtered and I use it for drinking/cooking.

The first of each set of filters is a sediment filter, the second is a carbon filter. There are MANY different types/qualities of carbon filter. I'm no expert so won't attempt to explain.

The only problem I've had is that the very fine carbon filter (.5 micron) caused my water pump to short cycle. It just couldn't push the water thru very well. So, I 'downgraded' to a 2 micron element (if memory serves).

Thanks for showing. I was considering that, but to truly get everything, I was told that I would need RO in addition, but if I do RO, I really don't need the rest. Your option is the best for no/low power use. I will be plugged in most of the time. I just can't afford to drink microbes and want to reduce the bad taste as well. I'm now heading toward the Super Deluxe RO system at RV Water Filter Store and adding the Mineral Adder so the RO water tastes and is healthier. Will probably also put a filter in from of the RO as well. That should do it for Mexico
Old 09-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #13

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Spend some time at the Water Filter Store site. Everything you need to know. https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/
Thanks for reading my question and answering with something that helps get the solution instead of providing me your opinion as to what I should do differently. David has the answers at the store and will be able to do everything I want and even more.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:07 AM   #14

Curious, did Rv water state what the gpm is for this system?
The description is rather terse...
Thanks
63swc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water