RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2016, 10:15 PM   #1

Best way to dry camp w/CPAP machine?

We have recently purchased a new RV. (Keystone 248RKS) Wife and I would like to do some dry camping, but we have some questions about what would be the best way to run the wifes cpap machine at night. I have been looking into making a 12V generator with an inverter to run the machine. I just recently came to realize that my RV already has an inverter in it and wondered if anyone could tell me if I use my already installed battery (120ah) would put out the needed ac voltage to my outlets in the trailer that would run the cpap machine. I realize I may have to install a second battery (another 120ah) in order to have enough life to run it all night long.

brenda and dave n ga
Using 2012 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L Keystone 248RKS

badnGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2016, 10:23 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've always run my CPAP off the built in inverters, even the MSW one worked fine for the CPAP, but we had far more battery amps than you have even after adding a second battery. The previous rig had 4 232 amp hour (20 hr rate) 6 volt batteries. Present rig has 4 235 amp hour 8D 12 volt batteries.
Some CPAP's will run directly off 12 volts and you can usually by the correct cables. However, since I always am either plugged in to shore power or have the inverter on I never tried it. Using 12V direct should be more efficient as the inverter loses some power when in use.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:29 PM   #3

You have a beautiful rig. You probably have a generator onboard, however I donot. Do you know if my battery will send ac through my inverter to the outlets in my trailer?
Old 11-30-2016, 10:36 PM   #4

cpap

Thanks for your help. I will look deeper into using my batteries.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:41 PM   #5

cpap

I have played around trying to power the dws cpap and my bipap I tried running them through an inverter first with soso results so I thought why not run them direct on 12v that did not work out seams the newer units use 24v I got the va to buy me the stepup adapter but that dosent help the dw those things are pricy. I have not had a chance to riley check it out my batterys got ruined over the summer (I was sick) and bought new ones on the trip and thay did not get fully charged I am using 2 6v golf cart batterys
hometool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:50 PM   #6

Hometool,
You are so right. I correct myself, the wifes machine is a bipap and the booklet does say that it takes 24vdc at 3.75a. I don't have that kind of set up in my trailer. As of right now I am at a lose. Will look into adding another 120ah battey to my existing, wired to increase the amps to 240a. Run through my onboard inverter and see what kind of results I get.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:22 PM   #7

bpap

when I was running off the inverter and my batterys were ok we could get at least 1 night and probably 2 off the grid so with just 1 machine you should do better I would not try to run the humidifier the heat for that uses a lot of power. is your rig at your house? could you try an off the grid in your driveway that way if it goes out you can plug into house or move inside lee
hometool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:10 AM   #8

They make DC to DC converters, both 12V to 12V and 12V to 24V, which can be used to power the machines. The only problem is putting them together if you don't have experence in basic electronics.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:19 AM   #9

They make them to power CPAP directly from 12 volts. Here is the model for ResMed machines.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1480594769.093086.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	145749
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:10 AM   #10

I run my CPAP off the inverter. I have two house batteries, it will drop from full charge to 2/3 charge in one night on my far from accurate gauge in the coach.
partskenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:29 AM   #11

What is the ah rateing of you batteries. 2/3's drop would be good for a couple of nites. I thought of using a small solar panel to help with the recharge, a 15w 1/2a panel would keep the battery from total discharge for a couple nites.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:52 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
This is something we've got to figure out too. I am on an ASV machine and DH is on an APAP. I tried going without my humidifier one time and it about froze my nose off. I use a nose pillow mask and have high pressure and it is the only mask that works for me. I've tried 9 of them. So far we've always been hooked up to electricity but would like the option of going without power for a night or two.

Happiness isn't the destination but the journey along the way!
geocacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:27 AM   #13

Geocoacher,
I am in the process of figuring this out. I have looked into making a solar generator, small enough to stow away in my rv that will provide enough juice for one nite and recharge during the day. I am also looking into having enough battery power installed in my rv with an inverter large enough to provide power to my ac outlets, so that I can just plug it in. I may concider doing both in order to spend more that one night dry camping. Such as, some state or natl parks do not have shore power.
If any one out there has this already figured out please give us some instruction. As of right now we are confined to places with hook ups.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:31 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by badnGA View Post
You have a beautiful rig. You probably have a generator onboard, however I donot. Do you know if my battery will send ac through my inverter to the outlets in my trailer?
That would depend on how your RV is wired.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote