Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2018, 10:31 AM   #1

Bidet Installation -- Read before you buy

There have been a couple of threads talking about bidets. They seem to start with an innocent question followed by the typical thigh-slapping, "golly, why don ya jus' git a garden hose an' a sprayer nozzle?! Hell, do it outside and make it a show for your neighbors!" While we all love high-quality potty humor, the signal-to-noise ratio was a little bit high, and there wasn't a lot of useful, actionable information.

I've installed one, the Bio Bidet A8 Serenity, and wanted to provide some information and pictures that might be helpful. Note that bidets are also called Washlets. Also, note that you have to search on both to get a complete view from Amazon.

You will have two issues. You will need to remove the front of the hump on the back of your toilet. You will need an outlet near your toilet.

Research - I called every manufacturer of bidets in the country. Don't be impressed, there are five, maybe six. I even called a guy who imports them. I also called the only two suppliers of toilets, Dometic and Thetford. (Yes, there are a couple of esoteric toilet suppliers that start at $5,000 for just the toilet. I omit them for self-evident reasons)

Ordering - Came from Amazon via prime. Simple and quick, though expensive. If I ever total my rig, I'll be sifting the ashes for my laptop and my bidet. (Hey, you are the one reading this so lets just agree to not judge each other)

Issue - All bidets *require* at least 1.5 inches from the center of the toilet seat holes to the front of the tank. RV toilets don't have 'tanks', but most of them have humps that cause the same problem. Neither Dometic nor Thetford has a decent toilet that does not have a hump. One of them does have a low-profile (shorty) plastic toilet that they make for the tiniest spaces, but that won't work for us. If you don’t have that clearance, or find a way to make it, there isn't an electric (read: "heated water") bidet anywhere that will work for you. Yes, they have some clip-on hose bidets, but then you would be back to the 'garden hose' conversation.

Installation gets to be either tricky or impossible, depending on your abilities. Here is what I did.

Installation - wear gloves
Remove toilet
  1. Turn off the water to the toilet and drain the toilet
  2. Remove the water line in the back of the toilet. I have a Dometic 320 and the sprayer hose did not need to be removed separately
  3. Remove the caps covering the bolts, and remove the nuts
  4. Remove the toilet and bring it outside
  5. Remove the toilet seat and set it aside. This is done by popping the caps on the back of the toilet and unscrewing the plastic bolts with a phillips head screwdriver. You will need to reach way under the toilet and grab the nuts at the bottom. You should be able to use your hands, they are not that tight.
Cut away hump - This was the tricky part. Mine was porcelain. I did not fully remove it; I just cut away about a 1/2 inch of the front. Note that while this is ugly, the washlet will cover it, so nobody sees it at all. Mine looks fine.
  1. Tools - I rented an angle grinder for $15/half-day and I purchased a diamond bit wheel for $14.
  2. Protection - I heavily duct taped the toilet to prevent accidentally scarring it. I also used the tape line to act as a visual guide for the cutting. I also wore my glasses.
  3. I made a shallow cut along the lines that I needed to cut away. I then made repeated cuts to deepen them until a solid <thunk> broke it free.
  4. I used the grinder to carefully smooth out and level anything that I missed
  5. I then wiped down the toilet to remove the dust created by the grinder
    I then re-installed the toilet, but did not re-connect the water. Some instructions say to replace the rubber seal. My toilet is less than a year old and did not need that. Yours may.
Bidet Installation - Following the instructions, I installed the bidet. It took 20 minutes and only because I was going slowly and carefully.
  1. Unpacked the bidet
  2. It comes with a 'mounting plate' that you bolt to the toilet using the holes that the old toilet seat used. Mine had a couple different holes, and the bolts were a little odd shaped - this allowed for some variability in the location of the bolt holes.
  3. After mounting the plate, the bidet seat just clicks into place.
  4. The water connection instructions expects you to have a tank and tanked toilets have a few more connections, and the package came with an assortment of parts to fit most scenarios. I didn't need all of those pieces - I just needed the T-connector to get water to the bidet. Just take a look and see which you need.
  5. Plug it in.

Done. Let me know if you have any questions.

We now open up the floor and let the hilarity begin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180311_142531.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	381.7 KB
ID:	195606   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180311_142546.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	338.1 KB
ID:	195607  

Name:	20180315_114044.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	195608   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180315_114105.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	195609  

Paustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2018, 10:41 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Very nice installation. Can you post the Amazon link for the bidet you used.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
Very nice installation. Can you post the Amazon link for the bidet you used.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I believe that any bidet would cover up the modification you would need to make to the back of the toilet. They all seem high in the back for the water heating tank.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:14 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nice, but I can't think of any reason a widowed 71 year old guy would need one!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Nice, but I can't think of any reason a widowed 71 year old guy would need one!
I can think of at least one #2 reason why...

BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:37 PM   #6

Thank you for posting

Just wanted to say thank you for posting how you cut the toilet to install a bidet. I followed your instructions and just did our toilet (a Thetford Aqua Magic Style II with a smaller hump). Cut the whole hump off and will install the Bio Bidet BB-1000R when it arrives from Amazon.

Tpratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:57 AM   #7

Good luck. I left the rest of the hump on because I did not dry-fit the bidet first and didn't know if the pipes that the hump covered would be visible. Let us know how it goes?
Old 08-09-2018, 10:54 PM   #8

Pics of our bidet install

Pic after I cut the hump off with old toilet seat still on. Waiting for BioBidet to arrive from Amazon. I had to extend vacuum breaker a few inches to the rear to get the bidet seat to fit.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:58 PM   #9

Pics of our bidet install

Pic of the bidet seat installed. Still need to straighten the seat out. No cut-off can be seen. There is a slight rise where the hump was, but the seat mounting plate seemed to fit fine. Just know, that unlike your home toilet, the mounting plate won't set flush and there will be an open area under the mount where the hump was.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180809_152823.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	214545  
Old 08-09-2018, 11:10 PM   #10

Pic of hump cut off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180731_174000.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	214547  
Old 08-09-2018, 11:12 PM   #11
YC1

Although this one is not heated you can usually add some coils of hose so the temp is at least room temp and quite comfortable. We have been using devices like this for many years. In our sticks and bricks we had heated water and even a built in blow drier.

A dear friend just had surgery on her back so wiping was going to be near impossible while rehabbing at home. We installed one of these for her without her knowing. She almost cried after using it she was so thankful.

This one is so easy to install a blind person can install it. Seriously, my blind BIL bought this unit. He installed it himself.

Anyone with a bottom end issue will love the clean and fresh feeling.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:19 AM   #12

Biffy Bidet

More costly but we like the Biffy Bidet better and you do not have to make any modifications to the toilet. I would suggest getting the unit with the stainless steel arm as it is more durable. Mike Burger 05 American Tradition w/ Dometic Sea/Land toilet
firechiefm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:58 AM   #13

Not all RV toilets have a big hump in the back. My 2019 LTV Unity CB has what (I think) is a Dometic 300 series toilet. An el cheapo Amazon Bidet that costs $35 dropped right on with no toilet mods.

Having owned bidets for decades my preference is the cheap kind. The ones I have had with heaters and such (besides being expensive) were mold and mildew traps and hard to clean. And we really didn't think the heat, dryer, etc. really added anything of value but of course that was just our preference.

I posted pictures of the installation at: https://avoidpitfalls.com/rv-bidet/ if anybody is interested. The little Neo we purchased works great.
TampaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:17 AM   #14

Great post and topic. I have owned bidets for years. Natural course was to install one in the TH also. My install was very similar to yours. I ran my electrical in from under the toilet area. Luckily it was accessible. One warning: if you start using a bidet you will not want to go without. My son in law said it best - when you step in dog poop do you wipe it off or wash it off?
sgrol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install