Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2008, 07:55 AM   #1

Got some discouraging things to report about my BIG BUDDY heater. I have said some nice things about it in the past, but now...

My Big Buddy is two years old. It suddenly will not stay on at any altitude for more than 15 minutes. Then will stay on for an increasingly shorter time with each relit. I've tried cleaning it every way from Sunday, with not help at all. I contacted one of Mr Heater's repair shop and in essence they said to throw it away a buy a new one. Checking around the Internet I see many other reports of such problems with units only a couple of years old.

A life span of two years, having used it a couple dozen times just to warm the coach in the early am, simply isn't good enough.

Oh, I wish Toyota made a nice, little propane heater....
BobCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2008, 07:55 AM   #2

Got some discouraging things to report about my BIG BUDDY heater. I have said some nice things about it in the past, but now...

My Big Buddy is two years old. It suddenly will not stay on at any altitude for more than 15 minutes. Then will stay on for an increasingly shorter time with each relit. I've tried cleaning it every way from Sunday, with not help at all. I contacted one of Mr Heater's repair shop and in essence they said to throw it away a buy a new one. Checking around the Internet I see many other reports of such problems with units only a couple of years old.

A life span of two years, having used it a couple dozen times just to warm the coach in the early am, simply isn't good enough.

Oh, I wish Toyota made a nice, little propane heater....
Old 11-06-2008, 05:03 PM   #3

I have a Big Buddy that I use to heat my garage/ workshop. It's 6 years old and still working great. I hook it up to a 20 lb tank outside the garage. One thought: when I bought my heater, I also bought and installed the optional propane filter. If you have one of these, you may need to replace it. If you don't have the filter, you probably need to clean or replace the burner orifice.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:55 AM   #4

All I've ever used is the bottles, never the larger tanks, which do require a filter.

I am wondering if your 6 year old unit may just be better made than the one I got two years ago? Wouldn't be the first time a good design was trimmed to save money?
Old 11-07-2008, 06:14 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for sharing your expierience with the Big Buddy heater Bob. I was contemplating purchasing one for the motorhome. Maybe I should do a little more research. I have the smaller version, and have had no problems with it, just wanted a bigger version.

Dieselclacker
Old 11-10-2008, 06:08 PM   #6

Don't misunderstand me totally. The Big Buddy is a very nice heater, but mine only lasted two years. I don't know, but I may just buy another one.

My quest continue to fix the old Big Buddy, but they sent me the wrong part and the things sure is hard to get my big hands into.

Think I'll just junk it and find a new one for say $70.00 or so....
Old 11-12-2008, 04:16 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is this Big Buddy Heater really a safe product to be used in such a confined space like a motorhome?

After a carbon monoxide scare with the generator exhaust coming in through a window, I do not even like the gas stove or oven very much.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:14 AM   #8

They say it is safe as it has a low oxygen shutoff device (which seems to work)and tip over switch. They also say you must have an opening to the outside like a window cracked, roof vent, etc.

That being said we just used ours to take the morning chill off inside our 23' trailer, which worked just fine, even down to 40*. Personally, I wouldn't run it over night or anytime when sleeping!

We boondock/camp mostly in NW Wyoming so it get cold.We use good sleeping bags so even below 32* we sleep warm w/o any heater.

Frankly, we love it - WHEN IT WORKS! I am just disappointed it lasted only two years. It appears to be well made and of tight construction, but for the price one ought to be able to take it to a proper repair place.

That being said I'll probably put this one in the dumpster and buy another.