Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2019, 11:32 AM   #1

Black flush inlet floods

After I flush my black tank and start removing the water hose a whole lot of water comes pouring out and it seems to be under a lot of pressure. Do I have a problem with the anti-siphon vacuum breaker?
It's never too late to do the right thing!
larliebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2019, 11:42 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
It's hard to say without knowing how much is a "lot". Is it flushing OK?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:44 AM   #3

When you have water supply ON do you hear it running?
SHOULD hear it flowing thru hose and at vacuum breaker etc.
IF not.then anti-siphon vacuum breaker is not opening OR spray nozzle is clogged

If no flow then there would be trapped water under pressure

If there is flow.....only should be 'some' water (from inlet up to vacuum breaker) and very little pressure

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
When you have water supply ON do you hear it running?
SHOULD hear it flowing thru hose and at vacuum breaker etc.
IF not.then anti-siphon vacuum breaker is not opening OR spray nozzle is clogged

If no flow then there would be trapped water under pressure

If there is flow.....only should be 'some' water (from inlet up to vacuum breaker) and very little pressure

It seems to flush properly. I can hear it spraying and the tank will fill until I pull the valve handle. I will post a video of the pressure I experience and the amount of water that comes out the outlet the next time I flush. I would do it today, but it's nasty outside. I think the weather will be better tomorrow.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:42 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Mine has quite a bit of water coming back out when I disconnect the washout hose, but I don't think it's under pressure. It just seems to be the water in the standpipe flowing back out.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Mine has quite a bit of water coming back out when I disconnect the washout hose, but I don't think it's under pressure. It just seems to be the water in the standpipe flowing back out.

That would be normal.
Flush inlet does NOT have check valve so water from inlet connection to vacuum breaker can drain out when disconnecting supply hose
Old 05-01-2019, 01:20 PM   #7

Quote:
That would be normal.
Flush inlet does NOT have check valve so water from inlet connection to vacuum breaker can drain out when disconnecting supply hose
I'm having to put several rags under the outlet to catch the water. My last coach didn't have a black tank flush, so I don't have anything to gauge what's a normal amount of water and what is excessive. I'll post a video tomorrow when the weather is better.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:07 PM   #8

Why are you catching it vs just turn water off, disconnect hose and let it run out??
Old 05-01-2019, 02:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Why are you catching it vs just turn water off, disconnect hose and let it run out??
The water will just sit in the wet bay and there are several screws that will rust. The wet bay is sealed without any drainage which works well when you are trying to keep the cold out.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:24 PM   #10

I had a similar problem AND was not getting much water into the black water tank. I replace the inline check valve and vacuum breaker (both were available from AMZ). Now lots of water in the tank but there is some water - maybe a cup (about the volume of water from inlet to vacuum breaker) - that’s flows back into the wet compartment. I can deal with that.
texoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by larliebler View Post
The water will just sit in the wet bay and there are several screws that will rust. The wet bay is sealed without any drainage which works well when you are trying to keep the cold out.

Got the picture now.....
Old 05-01-2019, 10:34 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hi,

Have same issue - a 'certain' amount drains out whenever I disconnect from the inlet fitting. The manual actually says this will happen, nothing wrong - just what is in the inlet pipe and no, there is no vacuum breaker in this setup, again, according to the manual. I got around the dripping mess by buying a 3' hose and shutoff valve that I leave attached to the inlet. This way, I can drop it out of the basement along with my city water hose, connect my black water hose to the end with the shutoff valve, turn on the water, open the shutoff valve and flush! When I am done flushing, I close the black water tank valve, allow more water into the tank (maybe 3 gallons?) and shut off the short hose shutoff valve. Disconnect the hose from the short hose shutoff valve and you are done! no back draining, no mess, no dripping water and it is ready for the next time you need to flush. And a dangling 3' hose (permanently attached to the flush fitting) does not take up any space in the wet basement.
US Navy - Vietnam Swiftboat Vet - PCF 102, PCF-62
Steve43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve43 View Post
Hi,

Have same issue - a 'certain' amount drains out whenever I disconnect from the inlet fitting. The manual actually says this will happen, nothing wrong - just what is in the inlet pipe and no, there is no vacuum breaker in this setup, again, according to the manual. I got around the dripping mess by buying a 3' hose and shutoff valve that I leave attached to the inlet. This way, I can drop it out of the basement along with my city water hose, connect my black water hose to the end with the shutoff valve, turn on the water, open the shutoff valve and flush! When I am done flushing, I close the black water tank valve, allow more water into the tank (maybe 3 gallons?) and shut off the short hose shutoff valve. Disconnect the hose from the short hose shutoff valve and you are done! no back draining, no mess, no dripping water and it is ready for the next time you need to flush. And a dangling 3' hose (permanently attached to the flush fitting) does not take up any space in the wet basement.

Factory installed flush system WILL have the anti-siphon vacuum breaker device........unless previous owner removed it and hard piped where it was. Typically in a sink cabinet...but RV MFGs have put them behind shower walls, inside closets etc.

The permanently attached short hose and garden hose shutoff valve is a great idea for those with wet bays
Old 05-02-2019, 06:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve43 View Post
Hi,

I like what you're doing and I'll do the same when I'm out of Colorado, but right now I still have to be concerned with freezing. Currently it's 32 degrees in Denver.