Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2021, 06:22 PM   #1

Black Tank

Used for first time and black tank indicators showed empty but after several uses it was full.(Visually checked thru toilet). Went to dump station and it emptied fine but next day it seemed to fill again after very few uses. When I left campground I emptied again that day. Again visually it was full. This is on class c 2010 forest river sunseeker. Any ideas. Its almost like it only has a 10 gallon tank.
jayhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2021, 06:37 PM   #2

Is the coach new to you? Black tank should be bigger than that. I would fill it with an enzyme cleaner. Let it sit for 24 hours and drain it.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:38 PM   #3

did you buy the RV new or used? in either case it sounds like you have the dreaded black pyramid in your black tank. a black pyramid is the result of improper emptying of the tank. most likely leaving the black tank open which allows the water to drain leaving the solids behind.

this link may help you understand what's happening and how to fix it.

https://uniquecampingmarine.com/blog...g-an-rv-toilet

or you can hire someone to power flush the tank...
https://kleentank.com
Old 02-01-2021, 06:48 PM   #4

Some RVs dump the bathroom sink into the black tank.

If your running a lot of water in that, it will help fill your black tank.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:14 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When you drain the black, is it showing a steady, brisk flow? It should. Since most RV black systems use the same 3 inch drain pipe, you can approximate the tank size from the drain time. When my black is full it’s holding about 40-42 gallons and it takes 32-35 seconds to drain. So as a general rule of thumb, every 10 seconds indicates about 12 gallons or so of tank capacity.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:37 PM   #6

Your RV has 40 gal fresh water tank, 30 gal grey water tank and 30 gal black water tank

Is the RV Level/tilted towards the Waste dump line when draining
OR
Is RV tilted away from drain line....hence not fully draining
?????

Otherwise that 2010 FR Sunseeker 3170 has a clogged up black tank
Could be Poop Pyramid, could be Vent line obstructed, could be Cutout disc blocking tank outlet

SO........
Describe the Draining
Good Solid Flow
Stop/Go Flow
Flow goes in gulps
Drains but has low flow
ETC

We can't see it so you have to be descriptive
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:54 AM   #7

I purchased used > I understand the coning problem but this I dont think it is. When I visually saw it appeared full as toilet paper was at floor level I took a stick thru toilet to see if it was clogged. Only 2-3" below floor line I hit bottom of tank. Its almost like tank is bent up in middle. It doesnt appear anything has hit it from underside. It takes about 10 second to empty with hard flow
Old 02-02-2021, 10:37 AM   #8

RV Waste tanks are shallow...long/wide but not real deep

If it flows hard when draining and takes 10 seconds then it is NOT draining full 40 gals out (that would be like 240 gals a minute!)

You have a clog at the outlet or tank has a build build up of dried on stuff across the bottom of tank

Buy some 'Digester' ....let tank sit for couple days then fill/drain
https://uniquedrainseptic.com/collec...v-tank-cleaner
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:07 PM   #9

Thanks a bunch for info. I will try that and let you know. I tend to think it may be dried up
Old 02-03-2021, 07:19 AM   #10

Did you buy it from a dealer or individual? Sounds like a tank full of dried poop concrete to me..

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:58 AM   #11

Black tank

Y’all were correct. Concrete poop in tank that was fossilized.😁. 24 hours of enzymes and a good flush seems to have done the trick. You guy’s rock!

Tags
black tank, tank