RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #1

Black tank additive

What do folks use as a deodorant/chemical additive in the black tank. I have been using a "off the shelf" additive but one of my friends told me I would be better off using plain old dish soap with a good smell. Any thoughts? :-- )
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #2

I use a liquid water softener , calgon I believe , that I can get from the local big box . I think it helps to break solids loose and also keep any build up from forming.
jim81147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #3

I just use those little bottles of TST from Walmart.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:17 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We too use Calgon water softener added to the black tank as well as a capful of Dawn dish washing detergent. I always make sure that we have at least 1/4 of the tank filled with water when adding these two things.
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:06 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
For 12 years all I used (along with a whole lot of other folks) was water. Works great.
The waste system is sealed except for the roof vents and unless you get odor from there or have a vent fan on when you flush you should have no odor unless you have a problem that needs to be fixed.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by model a guy View Post
What do folks use as a deodorant/chemical additive in the black tank. I have been using a "off the shelf" additive but one of my friends told me I would be better off using plain old dish soap with a good smell. Any thoughts? :-- )
model a guy
I've used Rid-X, (and only Rid-X), in both waste tanks for over 14 years.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
we use happy campers - works very well for both black and grey
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:11 PM   #8

Switched to Happy Camper this year and have been very happy with it.
BradWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
For 12 years all I used (along with a whole lot of other folks) was water. Works great.
The waste system is sealed except for the roof vents and unless you get odor from there or have a vent fan on when you flush you should have no odor unless you have a problem that needs to be fixed.

17 years of water only RVing and no smells unless there was a problem that needed to be fixed. Before throwing your $$$$ down the crapper why fix any problems you have and try using lots of water.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:25 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
It isn't completely about odor. Tank additives help with the break down of solid wastes. True, if you keep the right amount of water in there you aren't likely to have a problem but on those occasions where the house guest who has a fetish for using reams of TP, I could see them being of some assistance.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:27 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
None. Start at the 8 minute mark.

A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
We too use Calgon water softener added to the black tank as well as a capful of Dawn dish washing detergent. I always make sure that we have at least 1/4 of the tank filled with water when adding these two things.
I do the same. I dumped my black tank this weekend the filled and dumped two more times. The third dump was clear. I know many just use water but I found my gauges were not working (usually showing full even with empty tanks) so I started adding the calgon and dawn and the gauges are now usually accurate - usually...
Old 10-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We have been using the calgon and dawn detergent method (search for the GEO method) this year, and are surprised how well it has worked so far. Not very expensive, and it breaks down the stuff in the black tank, which now flushes clean (using the clear elbow adapter) after dumping and rinsing several times. There are probably many ways to achieve the same results.
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradWorld View Post
Switched to Happy Camper this year and have been very happy with it.
X2 on the Happy Campers. It is by far the best and most cost effective product I have tried. As advertised, we use Ordinary 2 Ply Toilet Paper and in three years have not had any issues. I use the Extreme Product once a year or so to give both tanks a thorough cleaning. The regular stuff also works great to clean the tub on the washer both in the coach and at home.
The large tub will last us for at least two years or more when used as directed.

Amazon.com : Happy Campers Organic RV Holding Tank Treatment - extra large 130oz tub (130-treatments) : Boating Waste Treatment Products : Sports & Outdoors

Tags
tank