RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2014, 08:04 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Black tank flush stopped working

Have a 2001 Holiday Rambler Scepter that for some reason the black tank flush suddenly stopped working. I can turn on the hose to the flush but all I hear is the pressure against it and then nothing. I was going to take a look behind the hose attachment but that shows me nothing but another hose connection. What could possibly stop water from flowing into the tank? Can the anti-siphon device fail and stop water from getting into the tank? To further disassemble is a large proposition and not one to be done in a campground as the cover appears to be over the whole wet bay. Any ideas what I can do? I do have an air attachment I use to blow out airlines but I have no desire to blow off a hose when I am still almost 1,000 miles from home.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2014, 08:11 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Can you easily get to the hose connection on the other side? It may have a screen trap attached to the washer that could be stopped up. Hopefully it could be that simple. But like you, not sure I would want to try and start repairs in the campground. Good luck and I hope it is a simple fix.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
Can you easily get to the hose connection on the other side? It may have a screen trap attached to the washer that could be stopped up. Hopefully it could be that simple. But like you, not sure I would want to try and start repairs in the campground. Good luck and I hope it is a simple fix.
No I can't. The screen is on the outside and easily accessible but that is all I can see. There is very large cover that sits behind all the water valves, controls, fill points and flush valve that all of the previous stuff would need to be removed to access it. Looks like a daunting task to me. Maybe not when parked at home but home is still somewhat cool! Lol! I have just never run into this problem on any of my campers before so it is perplexing.

Alan
Old 03-28-2014, 08:21 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
In mine there is a check valve to keep the water flush from running backwards. If the valve is stuck in the closed position that would explain it. I had to replace mine that was the only fix. Hope you get yours fixed easily.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wilson View Post
Have a 2001 Holiday Rambler Scepter that for some reason the black tank flush suddenly stopped working. I can turn on the hose to the flush but all I hear is the pressure against it and then nothing. I was going to take a look behind the hose attachment but that shows me nothing but another hose connection. What could possibly stop water from flowing into the tank? Can the anti-siphon device fail and stop water from getting into the tank? To further disassemble is a large proposition and not one to be done in a campground as the cover appears to be over the whole wet bay. Any ideas what I can do? I do have an air attachment I use to blow out airlines but I have no desire to blow off a hose when I am still almost 1,000 miles from home.
There is a vacuum break up in the bathroom sink cabinet up close to the bottom of the counter top. It can fail. The more likely problem is that the very small holes in the sprayer head are blocked. On the curb side just in front of the drive axle is a panel that is fixed on the bottom by a couple of fasteners. If you remove those the panel will hinge up. The sprayer head is mounted on the tank there. You can remove the head and clean in up. If you want to insure it doesn't reoccur, drill the holes out with a 1/8 or 3/32 drill bit. Still works great & is much less likely to block.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #6

If you empty the tank when its 3/4 full it will empty fully. This is the second Moho I've had with black tank flush and I've come to the conclusion you don't need it. Just a marketing gimic. I don't need my black tank clean enough to eat off.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
There is a vacuum break up in the bathroom sink cabinet up close to the bottom of the counter top. It can fail. The more likely problem is that the very small holes in the sprayer head are blocked. On the curb side just in front of the drive axle is a panel that is fixed on the bottom by a couple of fasteners. If you remove those the panel will hinge up. The sprayer head is mounted on the tank there. You can remove the head and clean in up. If you want to insure it doesn't reoccur, drill the holes out with a 1/8 or 3/32 drill bit. Still works great & is much less likely to block.
Steve, unfortunately mine does not go to the bottom of the bay and it doesn't hinge. There are a multitude screws and openings with attachments that appear to need to be removed. You did give me an idea as I might be able to access it from just below the panel if I can just get this big old arm up in there. Going to take a mirror out there to see what I can see. My DW doesn't need to know I am borrowing hers.

Alan
Old 03-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #8

My flush system stopped working recently. Fortunately it was under warranty. They replaced both the back-flow prevent-er and the spray nozzles. After seeing what comes out of the tank when I flush it, I wouldn't want to have an RV without a flush system. Without flushing, the inside of the tank is going to get a build up of nasty stuff. Eventually it's going to cause problems. Also, I can also keep the tank level lights working by flushing. While I was waiting to get the flush system repaired I used a garden hose down the toilet to flush when I dumped the tank. That looked like it worked as well as the built in flush system, it's just not as convenient.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same problem. Below is my solution.

FOUND MY PROBLEM!

I opened the tank compartment door on the passenger side that is secured with the straps underneath. There was the hose connected to the nozzle going into the side of the black tank near the top. I unscrewed the connector from the nozzle and turned on the hose connected to the flush input in the wet bay. No water! I knew then that the problem had to be the in-line check valve (under the lavatory in the bathroom) or the hose connector had to be clogged. I had a spare PEX repair coupling so I cut the PEX tubing about 8 inches from the connector. I then turned the water on and had a full stream of water out the end of the hose! I knew then that the connector was clogged. I used a long flat-blade screwdriver to run up into the tubing and clean it out. It was full of a jelly-like gook, NOT poop out of the tank! It then hit me what had happened. I went back to the wet bay flush inlet and there was no protective screen inside the inlet like I thought there was! I guess at some time I had connected to a CG water spigot that had a lot of crud in it. I'm just thankful the problem was not the check valve since a local RV shop told me they were $61 plus tax!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #10

I agree with the black tank flush. There is no way to get all the solids off the bottom even with the flush working. I don't see any way to see my tank on the passenger side. I will look further and see if there is any access point in any of the bay's close to the BW tank. Not looking forward to removing the panel covering it in the wet bay.

Thanks for all the suggestions and helping me zero in on the issue. I have never run into this problem or talked to anyone that has had this problem until now.

Alan
Old 03-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #11

Quote:
I agree with the black tank flush. There is no way to get all the solids off the bottom even with the flush working. I don't see any way to see my tank on the passenger side. I will look further and see if there is any access point in any of the bay's close to the BW tank. Not looking forward to removing the panel covering it in the wet bay. Thanks for all the suggestions and helping me zero in on the issue. I have never run into this problem or talked to anyone that has had this problem until now. Alan
Might be worth a call to Monaco tech support & see if they can be of help.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Might be worth a call to Monaco tech support & see if they can be of help.
Steve, do you think they would help on a MH of this age?
Old 03-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Steve, do you think they would help on a MH of this age?
Oh yes, no question. Just call and give them your coach number. They can and will have all kinds of useful info. Ask them to email you a coach data card (use to be call a build sheet). It will have a detailed listing of equipment on your coach complete with model numbers and serial numbers. They should be able to tell you where the black tank sprayer head is and if there is any easy way to access it. The Tech support number is: 877-466-6226.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Oh yes, no question. Just call and give them your coach number. They can and will have all kinds of useful info. Ask them to email you a coach data card (use to be call a build sheet). It will have a detailed listing of equipment on your coach complete with model numbers and serial numbers. They should be able to tell you where the black tank sprayer head is and if there is any easy way to access it. The Tech support number is: 877-466-6226.
That is awesome information to have! Thanks! I didn't know they would do that on an older coach. I did find the vent under the sink (another new one on me) and it appears to be just fine. I tried it again this afternoon and I hear water rushing and then a solid sound like it hit something and then nothing. I am convinced it is the anti siphon valve that is defective.

Alan