Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2015, 04:35 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
How to check how quickly your preferred toilet paper will dissolve....

Take a glass jar with a lid, fill it 3/4 full of water, add a few sheets of your brand and SHAKE.

Your paper should start to come apart pretty much immediately. Within a few minutes it should be an amorphous blob; if it floats around unchanged in the jar, it will do the same in your black tank.

Angel Soft and regular 1000 sheet Scott will always work fine if you don't have another preference.

Scott tissue in water

Scott tissue after 10 seconds of shaking

HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2015, 05:13 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
OK, I just KNOW I'm going to regret asking this question, but...If you don't flush the paper down the toilet, what the hell are you doing with it?
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:26 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Your Bath sink is likely draining into the black tank. Pretty common arrangement now if you have a newer coach. Also if anything clings to the sensor it can cause a read error, thus another reason for a cleaning solution be it a wand or tank installed cleaner. After only 9 days the paper and waste should still be moist so a good filling up with water and repeated flushing should get you back in business.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:33 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
How to check how quickly your preferred toilet paper will dissolve....

Take a glass jar with a lid, fill it 3/4 full of water, add a few sheets of your brand and SHAKE.

Your paper should start to come apart pretty much immediately. Within a few minutes it should be an amorphous blob; if it floats around unchanged in the jar, it will do the same in your black tank.

Angel Soft and regular 1000 sheet Scott will always work fine if you don't have another preference.

Scott tissue in water

Scott tissue after 10 seconds of shaking

We have used scott angle soft for 15+ years and never an issue ...with the tissue lol
Old 05-20-2015, 12:01 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Black water tank clogged....won't drain

X2 on Honeybadger. It's all well and good to conserve water, but your RV toilet is NOT the place to do it. You'll get this clog cleared-- it's only been nine days or so-- and afterward remember that water is your friend.

Use your regular TP-- no need for special. Use the foot pedal, and add water to the bowl before you flush it down. Each flush ( particularly of solids) should have at least 1.5 to 2 gal of water with it.

Fulltiming since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:23 AM   #20

Success!

Well, I just learned that my grey water tank level indicator doesn't work. When my shower flooded, I figured it out.

So I decided to try to dump the black tank and then the grey and both dumped perfectly fine.

I sincerely appreciate all the replies and now I can check off this box on my steep newbie learning curve!

:-)
RonInFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:37 AM   #21

If you're going to be using your RV a lot or living in it full time, it might be worth the investment to put in some digital tank gauges. The sensors attach to the outside of the tank and read the level through the tank wall. The gauges will give you an exact % full reading that I have found to be pretty accurate. To me, it's worth it to have the peace of mind of knowing exactly where you stand with your tanks. I've had 2 different brands in different RV's I've had, and I found both to be really good.

Here are links if you're interested:
Integrity Tank Monitor System 2 x 16 LCD Kit - RV Wholesalers Parts Store

See LeveL II Tank Monitor 709 - RV Wholesalers Parts Store
RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:44 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jeff,

Do you know if these units can use the existing cable runs between the tanks and panels?
That would make installation very easy.

Dan
Old 05-22-2015, 07:48 AM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
OK, I just KNOW I'm going to regret asking this question, but...If you don't flush the paper down the toilet, what the hell are you doing with it?
Ziploc bags.

I'm serious.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:11 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Jeff,

Do you know if these units can use the existing cable runs between the tanks and panels?

Dan
Unfortunately, on my previous RV (a Forest River Berkshire) the existing cables couldn't be used. Because it involved running new wires, I had it professionally installed. The installation ended up costing way more than the actual gauge, but I still felt it was worth it. If you're handy enough to do it yourself, it's really not a very expensive upgrade.

Of the links I attached, the first one is the one I had installed on my Forest River. My current rig came from the factory with the SeeLevel system. It's nice because it has a readout panel outside in the wet bay as well as at the inside control panel.

I found both systems work very well and would recommend either of them.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:15 AM   #25

Quote:
Jeff,

Dan
Also, if you can reach your tanks fairly easily and you have room in your wet bay or another storage compartment to install the readout panel, it would probably be a fairly easy install. For me, it was having the wires run to the inside of the coach at the control panel that made it too complicated for me to attempt myself.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:28 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider93 View Post
Also, if you can reach your tanks fairly easily and you have room in your wet bay or another storage compartment to install the readout panel, it would probably be a fairly easy install. For me, it was having the wires run to the inside of the coach at the control panel that made it too complicated for me to attempt myself.
Thanks Jeff, good info. Yes running wires is a pain, I just went through this while installing a roof antenna for a cell phone booster. The builders don't make it easy.

Do you know what kind of sensors you had? In seeing some videos, it looks like each tank would have three wires plus a common. The See Level looked like it only needed three wires per tank.
Did you confirm you needed different wires or just went by the dealers word?

Dan
Old 05-22-2015, 08:54 AM   #27

Quote:
Thanks Jeff, good info. Yes running wires is a pain, I just went through this while installing a roof antenna for a cell phone booster. The builders don't make it easy.

Do you know what kind of sensors you had? In seeing some videos, it looks like each tank would have three wires plus a common. The See Level looked like it only needed three wires per tank.
Did you confirm you needed different wires or just went by the dealers word?

Dan
Before I had the new gauges installed, I had the standard meters that showed "empty, 1/3, 2/3, and full". To be honest, I didn't confirm the wiring myself, but went by what the dealer said. I was a total newbie at the time and was pretty intimidated to try it myself. Now that I'm an experienced RV veteran with a whole year under my belt (LOL), I would probably now try it myself.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:01 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider93 View Post
Before I had the new gauges installed, I had the standard meters that showed "empty, 1/3, 2/3, and full". To be honest, I didn't confirm the wiring myself, but went by what the dealer said. I was a total newbie at the time and was pretty intimidated to try it myself. Now that I'm an experienced RV veteran with a whole year under my belt (LOL), I would probably now try it myself.
Check out this video, you may not want to trust the dealer any more....
Seelevel Install

Oops. ...I just noticed you got the Integrity.

Dan

Tags
tank, water