Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2022, 06:14 PM   #1

Black Water Tank plumbing...

Long story I'll try to keep short.

Sunnybrook Raven 3300CK 5th wheel 2014 (or 13 depending on what document I use).

I pulled the underbelly liner to see about putting in a flush on my black water tank (also because I flooded the underbelly liner by accident and had to open it to dry it out).

I found a 1/2 hose already connected to the black water tank. Traced it to the basement area, it's looped up about a foot or so, then exited the floor to the exterior. At the end it had a crimp clamp which held in a plastic piece about 3 inches long that most of it is slotted, except the end which was solid. So fairly water/air tight but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

So my thought was this is a back flush system and all I need to do is connect a hose to it (with a back flow preventer).

I'm assuming it was built this way so the dealer could up charge a small fortune to add in a flush system when all they needed to do was install a connection.

But I hate assuming. But I can't seem to come up with any other explanation for this.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

(also to confuse the matter there is another similar hose that isn't connected to anything on one end but the fresh water tank on the other end, which has three other connections! two for pressure fill and a vent. Possibly a gravity feed line as another option for the dealer to up charge on.)
Dschlieder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2022, 08:24 PM   #2

Not sure from your description what that is on Black Tank

RV Flush System requires an Anti-siphon Vacuum Breaker install higher then toilet bowl before going down to nozzle in the black tank
*factory or aftermarket

Hose on Fresh water tank.....sounds like an Overflow line
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 12:09 PM   #3

Old-Biscuit,

Thanks! Much appreciate the information! I would have hooked it up wrong without this input!

So to give a better explanation of my plumbing situation I have a couple pictures. The first one shows the 1/2 hose connected to the tank. I have to assume it's for a flush. I can't imagine any other use for it.

The next picture is the plastic fitting that was in the end of that hose. The bottom end was inserted first. I can't figure out what the purpose of that fitting is. Wouldn't easily let either liquid or gas pass. The end is solid.

So that hose, from the black water tank, went up through the floorboards with all the other lines, wires, etc. It looped up about 2' and then back down through the floor outside the frame to the exterior.

Last picture is my control panel. The black colored water connection, labeled potable water only, is a secondary way of filling my fresh water tank. I've traced this line and it goes up under the bathroom sink to a atmospheric vacuum breaker check valve, above the toilet rim. I never use this as I use the 4 way valve fill position for this purpose. The only time I used it was when I thought it was a flush connection and was confused when my fresh water tank eventually overflowed!

So now onto my 4 lines to the fresh water tank.

One line goes to the 4 way valve for filling. Another is the clear plastic vent line connected to the vent hole in the panel (which wasn't connected and caused me to flood the basement when it was new). A third goes to the black fresh water connection via the AVBCV as I described earlier. The forth line from the tank comes up through the floorboards with everything else. Loops up about 2' and exits with the other line, from the black water tank, outside the frame.

So here's my plan. Repurpose the black colored fresh water connection from a secondary fresh water fill to a black water flush. Take the line from the atmospheric vacuum breaker/check valve and connect it with a union to the line to the black water tank. Remove the potable water label and label is as a black water flush connection. Cap off and seal the remainder of the line from the fresh water tank.

This leaves me with only one way to fill my fresh water tank but I really don't need two. If I do I could always hook up one of the now 2 unused lines to a gravity feed fill.

This make sense?

Thanks,

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BWF.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	378368   Click image for larger version

Name:	BWFCap.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	378369  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Panel.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	378370  
Old 10-10-2022, 02:38 PM   #4

1st picture..........I would assume that is going to nozzle in tank

2nd pitcure.......Have absolutely no idea WHAT that is or was nor use

3rd picture.......BLACK Knob SHOULD be black tank flush connection
The line that loops p into bathroom sink cabinet/anti-siphon SHOULD go to black tank nozzle and be supplied water via that Black Knob hose connection

PER Sunnybrook
The Convenience Package features black tank flush

***suspect 'floor jockey' got confused/didn't have a clue so they hooked up lines here/there
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 05:29 PM   #5

Old-Biscuit,

Thanks again for your input!

Sunnybrook sold out to Winnebago - and quality I understand suffered. Mine was the last year of production.

I've had many issues with the plumbing. ABS not glued up. ABS fittings cracked due to misalignment. As I mentioned fresh water vent hose not connected flooding my basement. Kitchen sink drain not tightened and leaked underneath.

Seal on top of one of the slides - all the screws fell out. Haven't been able to replace all of then. I'll need to remove all interior trim on that slide so I can run it out for access.

Of course most of these discovered after extended warranty. Or had to fix it on the road. Or cost more to tow it in than it was worth.

Just very frustrating.

Have a great day!

Dave

Tags
plumbing, tank, water