Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2021, 07:46 PM   #1

Black Water Tank Sensors

I will be replacing the sensors in my black water tank. Suggestions on the best way to remove the underbelly covering and how to replace it? At least I am guessing that is where my black water tank is located in my Crossroads fifth wheel...

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2021, 07:50 PM   #2

Following.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:46 AM   #3

Most RVs I have seen you don't need to remove underbody anything. The sensors are on the side of the tank. And, most of the time it's not the sensors, it's crud in the tank that is causing misreadings.

Might want to first really clean the tank (including powerwashing the interior with a jetter hose if really bad shape). Then take a look in your baggage compartments to locate the tank in question and the side (usually outboard side) to find the sensors and electrical connections.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:36 AM   #4

I have filled and cleaned the tank with the built in flush system 3 times, even used a tide laundry pod the last time. The panel shows all the E, 1/3 and 2/3's lights on when button pushed no matter if empty of full. I am assuming something happened on the way down to Texas from Missouri as they weren't on when I left home. Either something broke in the connections or ? Planned on getting a cleaning wand for the tank, but was advised that's it most likely a short or bad sensor...

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
Old 01-15-2021, 11:44 AM   #5

I'd save the money, you can remember when you last dumped the tanks an filled with water. Every rv I've owned has had this problem, no mater how well I'd clean them.
01blueox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:51 PM   #6

Install SeaLevel sensor system which mounts outside the tank and uses the current wiring. Does take some time to install, but I have done it on 3 motor homes. Last time it took about 2 hours.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:58 PM   #7

My sensors are useless. I just keep the gray valve closed. When my shower won’t drain I know it’s time to dump. I always dump the black at the same time, dumping the black first then the gray second to rinse out the stinky slinky.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:21 PM   #8

After an inspection to see if I could figure a way into the black tank area, and not finding any access panels or any way in other than the under belly material. I sent Crossroads RV an email asking for information on location of sensors, etc. Got an email back, stating that the original Crossroads Rv was sold to another company and all records of previous built rigs was no longer available, do to being disposed of. So, guess I will wait until I get back home, and see what I can find with it parked there. I will partially fill the tank with clean water and soap before departing and then drain it at the first campground we stop at going home and see if it had any results. Thanks for the info and suggestions...

Old 01-18-2021, 01:11 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As others have said, black water sensors rarely work properly Nature of the Beast unless your rig came with esoteric sensors. I'd also question putting any effort into making them accurate because the gray always fills much faster than the black. If you empty the black when the gray gets emptied you are fine. Most black tanks show you their level rather graphically when the toilet valve is open. Your black tank will also outlast your fresh water too.

On most modern rigs the tanks are visible when you remove the wet bay's cover plate. Most rigs...
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:02 PM   #10

Well, I broke down and bought one of the wands that go down the toilet, used it this morning for about 10 minutes after I emptied the tank. It helped now I only have the E and 1/3 sensor lights on. So maybe after this tank fills, I will do it again and see if I can get all the gunk off the sensors.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:22 AM   #11

Personally I have never had sensors that work worth a darn. I just dump the black tank every Saturday. I leave the gray open. When we move I drop a laundry pod in the black tank. Maybe do it a couple moves in a row.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:05 PM   #12

Some RVs have a sensor adjustment. Mine are above each button. Perhaps yours are out of adjustment.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Some RVs have a sensor adjustment. Mine are above each button. Perhaps yours are out of adjustment.
No adjustment, just a panel with a bunch of lights and the fresh water pump switch...

Joe

Old 01-23-2021, 09:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pddgm View Post
I have filled and cleaned the tank with the built in flush system 3 times, even used a tide laundry pod the last time. The panel shows all the E, 1/3 and 2/3's lights on when button pushed no matter if empty of full. I am assuming something happened on the way down to Texas from Missouri as they weren't on when I left home. Either something broke in the connections or ? Planned on getting a cleaning wand for the tank, but was advised that's it most likely a short or bad sensor...

Literally same boat except mine are practically new. Reading E when I left, but now reading up to 2/3. All before running any water or using any facilities.

I did drive through some heavy mud right before arriving at the campsite and it coated the outside and I’m assuming underbelly. Could mud on the outside of the tank cause misreadings?
WandrinChild is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water