Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2021, 06:53 PM   #1

Blowing 15 amp DC Fuse

I have a hardwire 12-volt rear camera and a set of 12-volt ultrasonic mouse deterrent devices on one of the extra 12 volt fuses on the fuse panel. I have run a coax cable from the rear of the trailer to the kingpin and use a quick connect coax connecter to connect the video feed to the truck. These have been working fine for the past 6 months with no issues. Actually, the camera portion has been working this way for the past 3 years. I add the mouse deterrent devices 6 months ago. In the past two weeks, the 15 amp fuse is blowing after about 10 -15 minutes of turning on the rear camera and hooking it to the coax connecter which occurs on travel days. We leave the mouse devices on all the time. I have tried reading the amperage with my dc amp meter, but it only shows 1 amp. I could use some guidance on how to debut this one. My next step is to run new wiring from the main garage back to the top of the back tail lights where I installed the camera. The camera 12-volt wire is using 14 or 12 gauge spearker wire.
mscott4378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2021, 06:56 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
First, welcome to the forum.
Second, many experts testify that ultrasonic mouse deterrents don't work.
Third, try removing items from the circuit, one at a time until you find the one that is causing the short circuit, or the overload.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:45 PM   #3

I think you've answered your own question, the fuse only blows when you turn on the camera. There is a short to ground somewhere in the camera power circuit. Since you installed the camera I would think you can get to the power wire for the camera. Inspect the camera power wire and see where the short is. Most likely it's where it goes through a hole in the frame or some partition and has worn through the insulation. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse