Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #1

Boiler antifreeze addition

My HydroHot fluid level is half way between hot and cold, not sure if the hot and cold relate to weather or unit. Unit has been running off and on for several day. Do I add or not? If so do you get boiler antifreeze from AquaHot (which is more ebillxpensive than others) or from CW, Amazon etc who usually carry Camco?
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2014, 04:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck454 View Post
My HydroHot fluid level is half way between hot and cold, not sure if the hot and cold relate to weather or unit. Unit has been running off and on for several day. Do I add or not? If so do you get boiler antifreeze from AquaHot (which is more ebillxpensive than others) or from CW, Amazon etc who usually carry Camco?
The Hot/Cold marks relate to the unit. If the unit is turned off then boiler fluid will be sucked into the unit as the unit cools and the level in the overflow tank will go down. The reverse happens when the unit is up to normal temp which relates to the "hot" mark.

You should be ok at a point mid way when hot. You just don't want to run short and suck air into the unit if you turn it off. It's important to keep the unit completely full of coolant.

The coolant you need depends on the age of your HH. Since you identify as HydroHot then yours must be several years old. You can call AquaHot with your model and series # and they will tell you what's in your unit.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The Hot/Cold marks relate to the unit. If the unit is turned off then boiler fluid will be sucked into the unit as the unit cools and the level in the overflow tank will go down. The reverse happens when the unit is up to normal temp which relates to the "hot" mark.

You should be ok at a point mid way when hot. You just don't want to run short and suck air into the unit if you turn it off. It's important to keep the unit completely full of coolant.

The coolant you need depends on the age of your HH. Since you identify as HydroHot then yours must be several years old. You can call AquaHot with your model and series # and they will tell you what's in your unit.
Thanks Steve...yes unit is 2006 model. I will get model number and order appriately. I believe the last time I obtained some fluid it was directly from AquaHot.

Bill
Old 01-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck454 View Post
Thanks Steve...yes unit is 2006 model. I will get model number and order appriately. I believe the last time I obtained some fluid it was directly from AquaHot. Bill
I'm sure yours use boiler fluid. Some Camping Worlds have the Camco brand which is good. Also Roger Burke can sell To you and will be cheaper than AH.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #5

Steve's explanation is right on, but I will share a personal experience. We landed up having to store our coach for the past few months, before we parked it I filled the boiler reservoir to the max level. As the weather hit the mid 20's (the coach still parked) and the boiler fluid inched up last mss fill by an inch or so. I guess as the weather cooled the components contracted enough to displace a pint our so of liquid.

So with your reservoir level being between the marks I think you should be fine!

Another Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #6

As I understand this then, by morning, with temperature well above freezing, my tank level should be closer to the cold mark?

Thanks. b
Old 01-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #7

I would say yes (fully unqualified :-))

As the temps here in Houston are approaching mid 60s now my boiler fluid level is back to where it was

Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:01 AM   #8

Rigt on the cold mark this morning. B