Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2021, 02:59 PM   #1

Breaker replacement on generator

Yesterday I posted something about this but I had my information all wrong. My apologies.

I have a Onan Quiet Diesel 7500 generator. I'm having a problem with the 35 amp 2 pole AC Breaker. I believe it's weak. If I let the inside of the coach get too hot before starting the A/C the breaker keeps tripping until the inside cools down a bit. Then it has no problem. I know it's not the A/C because when I'm plugged into shore power, there is no problem.

I've searched the internet trying to find out how to change out the breaker and what kind to buy but haven't been able to find anything. I'm hoping someone on here can help. I can do simple things but if it's too involved, it's out of my wheelhouse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210502_125816.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	388.0 KB
ID:	327046  
Skipper Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2021, 03:17 PM   #2

I ask again, how may AC are you trying to run and what else is on ?
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:13 PM   #3

Two A/C units. Nothing else of any consequence. We've had this coach for 8 years and never had this problem before. It just started last summer. Of course I do live in AZ so the coach (if sitting in the full sun) can heat up pretty fast if the A/C isn't on.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:42 PM   #4

I would connect an amprobe meter on your load wires the breakers are feeding and see what kind of load is on your breakers. If they are kicking prematurely then you would need a new breaker. You also need to check your connections at the breakers and other connections. A loose connection or corroded connection will cause excessive heat and cause the breakers to kick.

So back to your question, there should be an access cover to get to the connections and think you need to start there. I’m thinking if your generator is similar to one of my generators I have owned you may have to remove part of the generator shroud to access the breaker for removal.

I do not know your particular generator so I am trying give the best thoughts from my previous experiences. Hopefully this gives you some where you start.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:59 PM   #5

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piros1 View Post
I would connect an amprobe meter on your load wires the breakers are feeding and see what kind of load is on your breakers. If they are kicking prematurely then you would need a new breaker. You also need to check your connections at the breakers and other connections. A loose connection or corroded connection will cause excessive heat and cause the breakers to kick.

So back to your question, there should be an access cover to get to the connections and think you need to start there. I’m thinking if your generator is similar to one of my generators I have owned you may have to remove part of the generator shroud to access the breaker for removal.

I do not know your particular generator so I am trying give the best thoughts from my previous experiences. Hopefully this gives you some where you start.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:16 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is a reference post. Follow advice from others first I would think. Good luck.QD 7500 Circuit Breaker

Tags
ace, breaker, generator, replace, replacement