Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Update, the buss bar was damaged due to the heat of the wires getting hot. We will have to replace the box.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #16

You might want to check Amazon theY had one for a hundred twentY two and change
Old 08-17-2013, 05:58 AM   #17

I just have a couple questions I'd like to ask about your transfer box. Was the main one Wire that melted White neutral Wire. Also have you been running you're both air conditioners on 30 amp service. Have you a way of monitoring your voltage whether you had low voltage or not coming into the motorhome. I'm just trying to pinpoint what made the transfer box get so hot. It would seem that there has to be some reason why those wIres melted as all my lugs were tight.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Billy, We have a basement air conditioner and an EMS that controls what can be powered if we are using 30 amp power.
I don't monitor shore line voltage but I probably should.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magumba View Post
Our Onan 5500 stopped powering the camper yesterday but still ran ok. I opened the transfer switch today and found the neutral and aux wires from the generator badly burned and broken off at the buss bar.
Yikes, thank God we didn't have a fire. The wires look pretty light compared to the shore line wires.
Had the same thing happen to me and when checking found all the screws loose.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Usually when screws are loose on a loaded conductor wire it will arc until it usually welds together causing some heat between wire and screw end right at the screw tie in , and not 2 inches back from screw connection , when wire coating and copper are melted so far back from connection you could have an overloaded circuit coming off that leg, you might want to amp load that circuit with everything on including both air conditioners on and see what it is pulling for your wire size.

Your automatic transfer switch has a step transformer inside of it that also could be the cause of the burnt/melted wire.

Safe Travels,

James
Jimooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #21

One thing I did see was the set screw that hOld the wire fOr the neutral line was actually galled on the threads to the aluminum block where the wires are tied together. I had to chase the threads to clean them up.