Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2021, 03:22 PM   #1

Angry Burnt converter how do i get 110v back

plugged my 30 amp RV into 220 burnt the converter. Will I get the 110v back in the coach if I change the converter. or is the 110 separate??
I know I probably burnt out the tv, micro, and hope not the Air Conditioners as they were turned off.

Panama Jimmy Jumps
Jimmy Jumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2021, 04:45 PM   #2

Anything that the smoke came out of IS probably toast - and anything that still has the smoke inside of it is probably OK.

The only way to know for sure is to replace the convertor and do a thorough inspection of all the wiring up to any switches that were in the off position.

Good Luck! Keep us posted on how many boxes or pails of smoke you end up buying. ��
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:01 PM   #3

On every trailer I’ve seen, the AC power comes in and is distributed through the converter and panel. Hopefully, the converter took the main hit, though as stated, if that doesn’t fix things, you’ll have lots of wiring to check as well as switches and other appliances.

I assume you checked breakers before determining the converter was fried?
Old 09-14-2021, 07:02 PM   #4

The converter/charger takes 120 volts and changes it to 12 volts to power 12 volt stuff and charge the batteries.

Thats s it does, it is often just plugged in or hard wired to a circuit breaker.

It has nothing to do with any other 120 volt circuits or devices.

Changing it will not fix other 120 volt things. Unless your batteries are dead and the 120 volt devices needs a 12 volt signal.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The converter/charger takes 120 volts and changes it to 12 volts to power 12 volt stuff and charge the batteries.

Thats s it does, it is often just plugged in or hard wired to a circuit breaker.

It has nothing to do with any other 120 volt circuits or devices.

Changing it will not fix other 120 volt things. Unless your batteries are dead and the 120 volt devices needs a 12 volt signal.
Converter is probably burnt as it is energized WHEN you plugged into that 240V

Will need to change it

Should have 120VAC if you plug your RV cord into a 120VAC outlet
Just will not have those AC items that got hit with 240V
**Turn off ALL Circuit Breakers in your RV AC Panel
30A Main and any Individual CBs
Plug RV cord into a VERIFIED 120VA C outlet...then Close the 30A Main CB and then each individual CB
Stop if any CB trips and ID what is on that circuit
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter