Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2021, 11:29 AM   #1

Butyl Tape / Plumbers Putty / RV Putty

I'm installing my first city water inlet, and I'd like to know what I should use to seal it.

It looks like the unit I'm replacing used plumber's putty, but I've read online that many folks use butyl tape. Is this the same stuff I'm seeing at Home Depot for roofing?

I've also read that some use RV Putty. I've never heard of that, so when I searched for it on amazon, I was kind of surprised that nothing but butyl tape appeared from that search.

So, when confused, I turn to the group for some friendly advice. What would you use?
thatrvlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2021, 12:20 PM   #2

Butyl Tape / Plumbers Putty / RV Putty
One and the Same.

Butyl Tape in 'tape' form. More stretchy, doesn't dry out
Plumbers Putty in 'container' form. Can distort & dry out. Good for sealing plumbing connections
RV Putty....RV Name for butyl/plumbers putty so higher price can be charged

RV City Water Inlet/windows etc ---Butyl Tape

Sink/shower drains etc----plumbers putty
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:56 PM   #3

I've used a few different butyltapes and there are some very real differences. By far the best I have found and used can be found at Compass Marine and his How To articles are very well done.
https://marinehowto.com/bed-it-tape/
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:09 PM   #4

Butyl tape is readily available on Amazon, many choices and probably all manufactured in the same factory but labeled and packaged for different vendors.
Old 07-24-2021, 04:10 PM   #5

The butyl tape is easy to use and ensures a uniform thickness but as mentioned is basically the same product.
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rffowler55 View Post
The butyl tape is easy to use and ensures a uniform thickness but as mentioned is basically the same product.
Trust me I have used a few and they are NOT all the same. I'm happy to agree to disagree.
For marine use requirements are possibly more demanding but ive been disappointed with the RV stuff vs good marine bedding butyl.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:30 PM   #7

YES there are different 'levels' of butyl tape

What you buy from Home Depot/Lowes/ACE is perfectly fine to seal a new city water inlet assembly on an RV

If working on Boats....go for higher grade due to the Marine Environment
But unless you go 'surfing' with your RV ...not necessary
Old 07-24-2021, 06:39 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I get my tape at the local RV shop. My shop if all I need is a foot or two they give it to me. If I need enough to do a window they sell me a roll for a few dollars.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:51 PM   #9

Confused - are you speaking of the sealant that goes between the mounting base of the fixture and the RV exterior wall? Or of some water-tight in-line fitting?

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
Confused - are you speaking of the sealant that goes between the mounting base of the fixture and the RV exterior wall? Or of some water-tight in-line fitting?
Between the base and exterior wall to seal the hole in side of RV and seal the Inlet Assembly mounting screws
Old 07-25-2021, 12:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Between the base and exterior wall to seal the hole in side of RV and seal the Inlet Assembly mounting screws
Yep, that's it exactly! When I removed the original unit, I noticed that the previous owner had used plumber's putty to fill that gap. He has done a wonderful job maintaining this 15-year-old trailer, so I thought I might do the same.

But after reading other threads and watching a few videos on YouTube University (just my nickname....not a real thing!)--I noticed that everyone was mentioning butyl tape. So I found some at my local bigbox store, but haven't bought it yet because I happen to have some putty at home.

After reading all of your posts though, it sounds like butyl tape is easier to work and it also sounds like it might be the better material for this application (the water inlet).

**Related question -- do you think anything is needed under the base plate of a new bathroom faucet? Some come with that plastic gasket. Mine didn't, but it has a channel that runs around the border of the plate, so I thought I would fill that channel with plumber's putty or butyl tape.

Would a beed of silicone around the base overkill? I think I've only noticed silicone around the sink/counter border, but not the faucet. Then again, maybe I haven't been paying attention.

Thanks again for all the great input! This is an old trailer, so this old dog needs to learn a lot of new tricks and I greatly appreciate learning from the vast experience of this group : )
Old 07-25-2021, 01:12 PM   #12

NO SILICONE.....

Should you have to repair that sink drain you will not get anything to stick/seal
New silicone won't even stick to old silicone

Silicone is good for setting sink onto cabinet etc
BUT no where else on an RV...........

Plumbers putty is good for sink drain assemble
Butyl tape would also work
Your choice-----
Old 07-25-2021, 01:43 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's something that I tried and it worked very well. I needed some air fitings to seal in my air bags . I have teflon tape and plumbers putty but tried some Ford gasket maker. Ihad 1/2 of a tube remaining when I removed my RV's differential (DF) cover. Nobody makes a DF gasket for the DANA - 80.

On a whim I decided to try it for my air bag fittings and it worked very well. I see no reason for it not to work installing a water fitting against an RV wall or anywhere else for that matter. It's essentially the same as making a gaket for a DF cover.

I don't know if NAPA or other parts stores have as good a quality tube of gasket maker but I know the Ford stuff works very well. That has beome my thread sealer and gasket maker. Not once that I've used it has it failed.

Went into a hardware store years ago and noticed a turning rack with dozens of packages of silicone. Each blister pack just had silicone in it but each one was listed to seal just about every place one might use silicone and each package had silicone of a different color. The point is was all the same and just silicone. One tube with everything listed would have worke just as well. Just a sales gimmick.

Silicone is losing it's place as a go to product IMHO!! I used to reach for it first and that's changing. It has its place sealing together a 100 gallon aquariam and other places but t does have its limitations. There are better products out there depending on the situation.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
NO SILICONE.....

Should you have to repair that sink drain you will not get anything to stick/seal
New silicone won't even stick to old silicone
Hi Old-Biscuit, I think my last message may have been confusing. I'm not replacing the drain on this job, but I would like to recaulk the area around the sink/countertop. And while I have the faucet off, I thought I would re-caulk the countertop/backsplash gap.

When I went to my big box store tonight, they divided up the caulk based on application, like bath/kitchen, windows/exterior, interior painting.

All of the caulk in the bath/kitchen area was 100% silicone. They had one that was a silconized acrylic (but that one got really bad reviews).

Just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding--I think you were saying definitely don't use silicone to seal the sink drain. But silicone around the sink is OK, right?

Thanks for your help, as always!