Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Can I add a fan to my roof vent?

Is there a kit I can buy to add a fan to my existing roof vent or must I buy the whole thing? Is it better to bring the 12 volt power from an interior ceiling light, or across the roof?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #2

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
Yes, many std. vents with fans simply add a small motor with a small fan to the bar bracing the crank handle, but they move very little air and would not be effective for moving enough air for comfort. Replace the vent with Fantastic Fan or similar vent with a large diameter fan blade and appropriate motor for best results.
Power from a ceiling light is OK, but own source is best. Be sure the ceiling light is not switched from a wall switch.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You may find that there is already 12 volt to the fan cut out, but as to how to bring it your choice.

If I were adding a fan to a roof vent rather than use the fairly cheap perment magnet electroniclly noisy fan that is standard in those smaller fan vents I'd go with 1,2,3 or 4 computer fans, 12 volt, brushless so they do not mess up tv or radio, fairly quiet and 4 4" fans will fit nicely.

As for what I did.. Well when the motors on my bathroom fans quit. I replaced them with computer fans.

You do need to "Stand them off" the screen a bit (I put them above the screen where the original fan was) Many ways to do that stand off, I used craft sticks and glue.

They just sit there, not bolted to anything.

Or you could put a Maxx Air cover over it.. Now that... is a whole lotta fan. And what's more it can be left open in the rain.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #4

Search high volume fan, we found surplus high volume, 120 cfm fans that draw less than 1/2 amp list at $70 for $4.95

Added 4 to the kitchen overhead with a switch, factory fan reversable, 7 plus amps, new ones blow air in for just fresh air in storage, 400 cfm for 2 amps and not too much noise
Old 01-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Muffin Fans

12v muffin fans come in all sizes. Generally bigger ones are quieter.

230mm computer fans are nearly silent and fairly cheap.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #6

We had a crank-type fan above the stove in the kitchen.(Now HOW do you open THAT often??)
We bought the comfort-aire fan with remote (and just anchored that to the wall,we liked the idea of no wires there).
The fan fits perfectly into the opening, and we just quick-connected into a wire running right thru the rafter there. It's workes just fine.
It's open when I want it open.
We have the rain sensor- but very glad we got the maxx-air cover, we had squirrels running around on top; while in Indiana last year. And even if the rain sensor lowers if it rains, it won't lower if you just plain forget it when you hit the road driving....it was not cheap, or very ingenius, but the quick-connect works.

Tags
fan, roof, vent