Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2021, 11:20 AM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Can I add a small inverter directly to my 12 volt fuse panel?

I have a 600 watt pure sine wave inverter. I only want it for recharging phones or maybe a laptop or to watch a movie. Is there any reason I can’t hook it directly to the 12 volt fuse panel? I know it’s best to hook them closer to the batteries but will that matter much for my needs? I can’t find any examples/information on anyone doing this so if you know about any please send a link.

I have a 2000 Triple E Regal with no generator (I bought a portable 2000 watt inverter unit but want to avoid using it) and two 90 amp hour lead batteries.

Thanks in advance.
trud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2021, 11:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trud View Post
I have a 600 watt pure sine wave inverter. I only want it for recharging phones or maybe a laptop or to watch a movie. Is there any reason I can’t hook it directly to the 12 volt fuse panel? I know it’s best to hook them closer to the batteries but will that matter much for my needs? I can’t find any examples/information on anyone doing this so if you know about any please send a link.

I have a 2000 Triple E Regal with no generator (I bought a portable 2000 watt inverter unit but want to avoid using it) and two 90 amp hour lead batteries.

Thanks in advance.
I am going to say it is unlikely to be able to install it that way.

What gauge of wire is running to your 12v panel? What gauge of wire is required for your inverter (and over over what distance)?

My guess is that you inverter requires a higher gauge wire than what is supplied to your RV panel. If it does not, then you what you want to do should work fine.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:02 PM   #3

Try it.

If you start experiencing low voltage shutdowns or alarms, your drawing to much power.

The inverter has the potential of drawing close to 50 amps DC, but that's only if your drawing 600 watts ( 5 amps ) AC.

Most of what you want to run is less then 100 watts, less then 1 amp AC or 8 amps DC. The wiring can handle that.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:05 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
One of the less expensive ways to install an inverter that size is to mount it as close to the batteries as possible. That way you don't spend a fortune on battery cables. Then use the less expensive Romex to run an outlet to where you want. You can run it inside flexible pvc conduit. It's a lot cheaper/easier to run Romex and conduit where you need it, versus battery cables.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:21 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trud View Post

Thanks in advance.
My money says it will be just fine if you are only charging phones, or powering a TV and DVD player. Both are very low power draws. If you are drawing 150 watts, that's only around 14 amps, and most 12 volt cigarett outlets have a 15 amp fuse, and 14 gauge wire.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:45 PM   #6

Slightly different approach but my wife needed something to run small items like you mentioned up by her seat when we are on the road along with the German. I ran a 110 plug up behind her seat and plug her stuff up there to include some modules for her 12 volt stuff. I always drive with my Magnum on anyway or will be plugged in. I have a residential fridge
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:00 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Like Twinboat said, give it a try.
If it doesn't work then hardware it in near the batteries.
FWIW, we purchased this little 300w PSW unit that plugs in to the cig lighter and would suit your needs perfectly also. It travels well in the pickup...
https://www.amazon.com/Inverter-Scre...omotive&sr=1-5
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:02 PM   #8

600 watts output implies more then 600,/12=50amps(if output is 600 watts input is even more check the inverter specs),, Running off the fuse panel sounds like a bad idea to me. I would be concerned that you are putting more current through it then it was designed for, and if it overheats it could be dangerous and expensive.

As someone else said put the inverter as close to your batteries as practical and then look up what size cables are recommending for the the max inverter current amps going over that distance. The cables probably won't be all that expensive and then you won't have to worry about damaging your fuse block or inverter.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssl View Post

Running off the fuse panel sounds like a bad idea to me. I would be concerned that you are putting more current through it then it was designed for, and if it overheats it could be dangerous and expensive.

RV wiring is designed and built NOT to allow more current then designed.
That's what fuses and circuit breakers are for.

Having dangerious and expensive situations are less likely using existing wiring, rather then running new wiring without the knowledge of proper running and fusing the wiring.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:36 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
They make small inverters to plug into your lighter

They work really good for charging devices.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:37 PM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
Yes mine is identical and it comes with a cigarette adapter but then it runs off the chassis battery right? Does that risk draining it?
Old 01-03-2021, 08:46 PM   #12

Triple E Owners Club
More info

I should also add that my rv is sprayed with foam insulation underneath so I want to avoid making holes but I will if needed and then refoam.

My inverter also comes with a cigarette adapter but I don’t want it to run off the chassis battery. This is what I got.

https://www.amazon.ca/Beleeb-600Watt...tt+pure&sr=8-7
Old 01-03-2021, 09:15 PM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Try it.

If you start experiencing low voltage shutdowns or alarms, your drawing to much power.

The inverter has the potential of drawing close to 50 amps DC, but that's only if your drawing 600 watts ( 5 amps ) AC.

Most of what you want to run is less then 100 watts, less then 1 amp AC or 8 amps DC. The wiring can handle that.
Ok. So I’m going to look up some DYI videos of adding things to a 12v panel and try a 15 or 20 amp fuse? Sound reasonable?
Old 01-03-2021, 09:19 PM   #14

In a perfect world the inverter can should be mounted really close to the battery. The reason for that is to void VD.

Since this is not a perfect world it gets mounted where it can be mounted & used. What you can change if necessary is the size of the trunk wire from the battery to the back of your DC panel to reduce VD.

I have a 1500W PSW inverter. There is about a 10' run from battery to inverter by the time it is routed around this & that. The gage wire feeding it & grounding it is welding cable.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, fuse, inverter, panel