Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2022, 07:17 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Can't draw antifreeze for winterizing

I was trying to winterize our Vision with the antifreeze method yesterday, but couldn't get the antifreeze to draw up and out of the jug into the plumbing lines. As far as I know, I followed all the steps properly up to that point. Frustrated, I got online to see if there was an updated user manual from the paper one provided with the RV for the Nautilus P3 water management system.

What I found was contradictory. My panel has the legend shown on the first pic.

The paper (pic 2) and online manuals (pic 3) show the handles with the red tab turned sideways instead of facing up.

According to the manuals the red handle will bypass the hot water heater in the sideways position and go to the hot water heater in the up position. I have the Girard tankless HWH.

So, a couple questions:
1) Which position should the red handle be in? I think I need a little antifreeze in the tankless HWH, so that leads me to believe my legend on my water management system is correct, and the other direction would be to bypass a standard HWH with a tank (where you don't want any antifreeze).
2) Either way, why won't the pump draw the antifreeze up into the system? I have this little memory of someone once mentioning that the little screen filter in the city water connection had to be turned around in the spring, so maybe I need to reverse it again to winterize? This is our first year winterizing this MH, so I am stumped
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3 panel.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	378535   Click image for larger version

Name:	manual.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	407.1 KB
ID:	378536  

Click image for larger version

Name:	online manual.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	378537  
The Ward Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2022, 08:59 AM   #2

First make sure you open a faucet, an RV water pump does not prime against air pressure.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:22 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
First make sure you open a faucet, an RV water pump does not prime against air pressure.

I had tried that. With all inside faucets and the shower head (both hot and cold). One that I didn't try was the outside shower attachment yet. I will give that one a go tonight and see if it can start the flow.
Old 10-12-2022, 05:34 PM   #4

You may need to use a longer hose to draw the antifreeze out if the jug. Lift up the jug to the level where the bottom is about the same as the pump intake.

Before I use antifreeze, I bypass the water heater and blow out all the lines with about 40-50psi compressed air. Remove freeze plug in water heater and open safety valve to drain. Using a small tube on the end of my garden hose, I flush out the bottom of the water heater.

My pump is low on the side wall of the water bay. I connect about 3 foot of tubing to the intake of the pump. The other end of the tube has a V notch cut in it. Drop it in the gallon jug. The V allows the antifreeze into tub even it is bottomed out in the jug. My RV uses two gallons. I actually pour two gallons in a bucket for the process.

I would not have all the faucets open. I use the outside shower to monitor flow and close it. Next the water line to the ice maker on refrigerator. I have a valve in the vent area behind refrigerator where I can disconnect the line that goes up to the ice maker. I use about a 1 foot piece of tubing to run outside until I have antifreeze then shut valve. Go inside RV and open one valve at a time. Hot and cold separately. Don’t forget to flush toilet and if there is a hand sprayer open it also. If you have a clothes washer, cycle it just long enough to get antifreeze in. Some will not stop quickly. I have to open 120v breaker to stop it. At each location use enough flow to put about a cup of antifreeze in trap.

This process has served me well. One time we left central Indiana and drove to Arizona. High temp 14*F and low of 11*F, and we didn’t have any water problems when got to our campground in the Phoenix area.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 09:08 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Update

So, after trying numerous combinations of everything, I gave up and called the experts. Took it into the dealership to finish it off. The tech said that the pumps on this model often don't have enough sucking power, so he ends up using a portable pump to draw the antifreeze out of the jug and then directly into the city water connection.

Tags
antifreeze, free, winter, winterizing