Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #1

Carbon Monoxide Alarm CoStar 9RV

Does anyone know if Quantum Group Inc. is still in business? It's time to replace our CoStar 9RV CO Alarm. I ordered one from the Quantum Group web site on 12/3/10, gotr no order confirmation email, credit card not charged (yet), no answer at the toll free #. Sent them an email today but will be surprised if I get an answer. Amazon does not have item any more.

So next question is, we need to find an acceptable replacement if these folks are kaput. Ideas?

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #2

I just replaced my smoke/fire alarm with a combined smoke/fire/CO alarm. My original CO alarm is 10 years old and I doubt it works. It is a CCI and they are no longer in business. The closest I can find is a Saf-t-alert and it will require cutting the mounting hole larger. I don't know if I'll replace the CCI alarm or just live with the combined alarm mentioned earlier.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post
I just replaced my smoke/fire alarm with a combined smoke/fire/CO alarm. My original CO alarm is 10 years old and I doubt it works. It is a CCI and they are no longer in business. The closest I can find is a Saf-t-alert and it will require cutting the mounting hole larger. I don't know if I'll replace the CCI alarm or just live with the combined alarm mentioned earlier.
Winnebago is using the MTI Industries Model 30-442 as a drop in replacement for the CCI unit. That is for the CCI unit that does NOT shut the propane off. I don't know if that one is the same size or not.
See it here:
https://www.mtiindustries.com/re1.htm
Old 12-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #4

Clay, the page you reference is the Saf-T-Alert page for propane alarms. I did just replace a CCI propane alarm with a Saf-T-Alert alarm that also controls the lp solenoid.

I thought this thread was for CO alarms. For what it is worth, the Saf-T-Alert propane alarm will not fit the CCI hole. I had to make the mounting hole about 3/8 to 1/2 inch wider to accommodate the Saf-T-Alert alarm.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:09 AM   #5

Thanks Pete for the refocus. Yes this thread is for CO Alarms.

Still no response from Quantum Group. I have given up on them. I noticed that Atwood Mobile Products has a CO Alarm about the same sizs as the CoStar 9RV. It is made for Atwood by Kidde. The Atwood version costs 2x the comparable Kidde version, but the specs are slightly different, due I think to the RV environment vs. a house. The investigation continues.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post
Clay, the page you reference is the Saf-T-Alert page for propane alarms. I did just replace a CCI propane alarm with a Saf-T-Alert alarm that also controls the lp solenoid.

I thought this thread was for CO alarms. For what it is worth, the Saf-T-Alert propane alarm will not fit the CCI hole. I had to make the mounting hole about 3/8 to 1/2 inch wider to accommodate the Saf-T-Alert alarm.
Sorry - my mistake. I somehow was thinking LP instead of CO.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #7

Just received a CoStar 9V from safehomeproducts.com Same model as Winnebago used in my 2006.
Kjet1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I had trouble finding a 12VDC CO Alarm and finaly settled for this one. So far it works fine. It's lower temp limit is 32 deg F but I just couldn't find another 12 VDC unit.
COSTAR 12/24VDC Dual Voltage CO Alarm for Security Systems 1224SIR

Dick
Old 12-11-2010, 06:44 AM   #9

Kjet1600 .. Did the 9RV Alarm you received have a recent manufacture date? What date was on the 'Replace By' sticker? I'm trying to determine how long these items have been sitting on retailer's shelves.

Dick ... I need the battery version. No 12VDC near my alarm location. Thanks for the post.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:09 AM   #10

Finally have closure on this. Never heard from anyone at Quantum Group regarding the order I placed. Bought a unit from SafeHome Products as someone else did. Unit was defective on arrival. SafeHome contacted Quantum, somebody from Quantum called me, confirmed unit was defective. Received authorization number, told to send defective unit to Quantum, would receive a replacement from Quantum. sent unit back, waited 2 weeks; no unit no conatct, nothing. Contacted SafeHome, lady was nice enough to send me a 2nd unit after I asked her to, let her get something back from Quantum.

In summary, do not even try to deal with Quantum Group in San Diego. SafeHomeProducts is good.