Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2007, 06:41 PM   #1

Last week, we camped in a very cold site in So. Cal. There were no hook ups so we ran off of the batteries all night.Both heaters clicked on and of all night as they should have. At around 2:30 AM, the alarm went off for carbon monoxide. We opened all the windows and bundled up for a cold night. About an hour later, the alarm went off again and the heaters had not been running. My question is this: will these detectors go into alarm if the batteries are running low on amps? I have not been able to duplicate this same condition since then.Coach is a 36' A class with dual heaters.
Thanks.
Jeff
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2007, 06:41 PM   #2

Last week, we camped in a very cold site in So. Cal. There were no hook ups so we ran off of the batteries all night.Both heaters clicked on and of all night as they should have. At around 2:30 AM, the alarm went off for carbon monoxide. We opened all the windows and bundled up for a cold night. About an hour later, the alarm went off again and the heaters had not been running. My question is this: will these detectors go into alarm if the batteries are running low on amps? I have not been able to duplicate this same condition since then.Coach is a 36' A class with dual heaters.
Thanks.
Jeff
Old 03-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">will these detectors go into alarm if the batteries are running low on amps? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good question and one I don't know the answer to, but, we had the same thing happen to us with our previous MH and we did not have heaters running, in fact we had a/c running. Had it checked out and could find nothing wrong with system. Never happened again.
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:08 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Mine went off on a trip heading to Kentucky. It happened twice on that trip. Before returning to California I replaced the unit. Never had a problem again. This was the latter part of 05. I have heard from assorted people that these units can go bad after just a year. Some say to replace them every two to three years. All I can say is after replacing mine I still have not had a problem. Mine is hardwired by the way.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:01 PM   #5
paz

Jeff, was it your CO alarm that went off or your LP alarm? Our coach has a standard household CO alarm which has its own batteries (AA). The alarm will chirp every few minutes if the batteries are low.

Our LP alarm, on the other hand, is hard-wired into the coach's 12V system. I have never experienced this, but I have heard low house batteries will cause the LP alarm to sound. Our dog used to sleep next to our LP alarm, which is near the floor in the bedroom, and cause it go off.

It's possible if your CO alarm is wired directly into your coach's 12V system that low house batteries would cause it to go off similar to the LP alarm.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #6

Better to have a false alarm than a missed alarm I guess, but a pain anyway. Glad for the info on the detectors needing replaced. I will do that soon.

We were camping last night and I woke up at about 4am with a headache and nausea. I immediately thought about CO. I got up, checked the kiddos, cracked open a window, and turned the furnace off. Luckily I had brought an electric "just in case". DH's first comment was "are you pregnant". I think it was just indigestion (had a huge burger for dinner).

Anyway, not wanting to hijack this post or anything, just glad for the info on the detectors.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote