Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2021, 09:18 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Carefree BT12 Install Failure

New Product: Carefree Wireless Awning Control Systemhttps://www.irv2.com/forums/f256/new...em-497989.html

Has anyone tried upgrading their Carefree awning with one of these BT12 kits?
I bought the kit some time ago and finally decided to install it. I've attached the page from the installation manual showing how it's all supposed to be wired. On my MH, my Eclipse awning was wired to a switch with 4 wires - two to the motor and two power wires. The awning was interlocked with the ignition so that it was disabled when the key was "ON". I connected the original +12v lead to the the two red 12v+ wires connecting one to the ON/OFF switch and the other to control module +12v wire. I connected the black ground wire to the original ground wire. I connected the blue & white leads to the awning motor as shown in the diagram. I connected the Gray, Yellow and Brown wires to the "Extend/Retract" switch as shown.I left the green wire from the control module unconnected that was supposed to come from the vehicle PCM.
I left all the wires for the LED light unconnected.
I never tried pairing the control with any Blue Tooth devices.
When I tried switching on the power and extending the awning, it all went fine - one short press of the Extend button and the awning started rolling out. The problem came when after when after fully extending, it kept turning wrapping the awning up inside out! At that point, I tried reversing it without any luck and pulled the power lead to stop it.
Then I pulled the BT12 completely out and put my old simple trusty switch back in so I could put the awning away and come in to write this reply.
My question is: how does the control module know when to stop as the awning extends? Is it an adjustable setting? Nothing is mentioned in the instructions about how to match the control module with your awning. There has to be more to it than the instructions cover.
So back to my original question - has anyone used the BT12 to upgrade their awning and rely on it to automatically retract their awning when the wind comes up as it's designed to do according to the sales hype?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BT12 Wiring Diagram.pdf (325.5 KB, 7 views)
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2021, 10:06 PM   #2

The BT12 uses current sensing to determine when the awning is fully extended/retracted. It will go about 1/2 a turn past full extension and then backup and stop. The connections you made appear to be correct (if no modules are still wired into the system) and it should operate as designed.

The two motor wires on the BT12 must go directly to the motor, no other components can be between the BT12 and motor.

What to look for:
Does your original setup have more than one switch.
Does it have a wind sensor.
Is there a possibility that a relay or control module was originally used. If so it will need to be removed/bypassed.

You stated there was an ignition interlock how is this wired into the original system. Again if a module or relay it will need to be removed/bypassed.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:38 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
The current sensing didn't appear to work at all. It went right past full extension and began wrapping the awning around the tube inside out as it retracted - that's when I pulled the power leads apart. The sounds coming from the motor were awful.

The two motor wires go directly to the motor. There is nothing else connected in between.

The original had only one switch marked extend & retract.

There was no wind sensor.

I recently had problems with the awning not working when it was raining. That caused me to check the wiring from end to end to see what the problem was. I never found anything but I did trace the wires from end to end. I took the bulkhead connector apart and made sure there wasn't any moisture causing corrosion. I didn't find any and I used some dielectric grease to reassemble it. While I had the bulkhead connector off, I resealed it against the sidewall. The wires from the motor run in a channel in the awning arms to the bulkhead connector and then go directly to the switch.

I'm not sure about the ignition interlock except to know there is no power to the switch with the engine running. I have to put the awning away before starting the engine when breaking camp.

The control module wiring calls for +12v to go to the switch and to the module. The controls for my inverter, tank level indicators and water heater controls are right next to the awning switch. I could find another source of +12v there so that only the power from the ignition interlock is interrupted when the key is on. I'm not sure that would stop the motor properly at the end of its travel.

I've got the key fob but haven't tried pairing it, the motion sensor or my phone to the control module yet. Just stuck the whole thing back in the box it came in.

I guess I could connect it back up tomorrow in the daylight to see it operate better but I don't believe the control ever killed the power to the motor after the awning was fully extended. I panicked when it seemed to be under stress and rolling up inside out.

Thanks Steve for the prompt reply!
Old 11-10-2021, 05:25 AM   #4

Definitely sounds as you did the wiring correct. A different 12 volt source will not make a difference. The main thing is that the motor wires are direct connect, that you have positivity verified.

I am at a loss other than contacting Carefree support, they know their stuff. I had an issue with the motion sensor that required a firmware update, they provided me the needed info to work through it. Not a simple task as the loader is a engineering tool with a convoluted interface and no instructions.

I would suggest pairing your phone/tablet to the system. There are a few hidden diagnostic pages that show exactly what is happening in real time. That may give you some insight as to what is going on.

Check your PM's for some additional info.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:35 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had some other problems I had to fix before I got back on the awning but when I did, I messed up when I went to swap the simple switch that was working great back out for the BT-12 and connected the ground wire to the motor and motor wire to ground. It tried pulling the awning in a couple of times but now it doesn't do anything. I need to try it again and try pairing it up to my phone to see if I can tell if it's still functioning at all. The red LED on the controller still lights. Right now the simple switch is back in place and working.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:15 AM   #6

getting ready to install one of these

Well crap... now I'm a little paranoid because I don't want to break anything else on the MH. 2008 Berkshire 21ft Travel'r awning. It came with the Carefree direct response 060574-002A and a remote control for a key fob... never got the fob, didn't know it was even there until the controller crapped out. My question is about where to connect IGN LOCK and weather or not I wire the extent retract wires as direct control or dry connectors. Thank Y'all, Randy Baker
RwBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 12:35 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Your "Carefree direct response 060574-002A" differs from the BT12 901604 control in that your control module is located in the "motor head" of the awning where as the BT12 module is inside near the extend-retract buttons. The wiring diagram is slightly different as you can see in the attachment for your system. Page 7 doesn't show a wire from the ignition interlock - just a +12 volt wire from the ON-OFF switch. The ON-OFF switch is fed with a +12 volt wire from the MH. On mine, that wire is already interlocked and has no power when the key is on. Several times I've tried to retract my awning after starting the engine while retracting the levelers only to have to turn the engine back off to put the awning away so I can get ready to pull out.

I hope the attachment helps you determine how yours should be wired. I found this PDF with a search for "Carefree direct response 060574-002A" Hope it's the right one for your system. If your control is like mine and mounts inside, mine worked without connecting the "violet" wire to the PCM ignition interlock.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 060574-002A_12V-Travelr-Direct-Response.pdf (1.39 MB, 9 views)
Old 12-20-2021, 06:40 PM   #8

BT12 install

Well guys I got yhe system installed and working properly. Even works off the app on my smart phone... happy about that. so now after reading a few reviews in the wind sensor many people complain about the battery life in the sensor. So I'm wondering if I wired to the supply 12v a dc-dc converter to 3v if I would have to pair the bluetooth wind sensor every time I wanted to use the system? Since the voltage wont be on the sensor draining the 2xAA batteries and/or refreshing the bluetooth memory. Let me know what you think y'all.
Thanks, Randy Baker
RwBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 06:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RwBaker View Post
Well guys I got yhe system installed and working properly. Even works off the app on my smart phone... happy about that. so now after reading a few reviews in the wind sensor many people complain about the battery life in the sensor. So I'm wondering if I wired to the supply 12v a dc-dc converter to 3v if I would have to pair the bluetooth wind sensor every time I wanted to use the system? Since the voltage wont be on the sensor draining the 2xAA batteries and/or refreshing the bluetooth memory. Let me know what you think y'all.
Thanks, Randy Baker
Battery life for me was 1 year .
You should not have an issue with the sensor retaining the BT link to the controller with no power to it, in the situation you describe. It stays paired through a battery change (short term) or when power is removed from the controller for an extended period of time (winter).
Old 01-18-2022, 02:16 PM   #10

new to this.....i have a 2011 Itasca Suncruiser 32H and just received the BT12 Kit (901605) to replace the old direct response controller that isn't putting any power out. When talking to Carefree, they made it sound like this was just a controller and new sensor that would work with my current switches (minus the wind sensor switch) since it is Bluetooth connected. When opening the new kit, there are also new in/out, on/off switches on a plate. Carefree is now saying i have to use the new switches and not use any existing wiring from the old set up for this to work. My question....can i use my existing in/out switch and on/off switch with this new controller and just tape off/bypass the wind sensor switch by butt splicing the new controller to the proper existing wires? I really do not want to have to mount new switches somewhere on my rv. Thanks for any help!
CGraham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free, install