Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #1

Carefree of Colorado one touch patio awning.

Got a problem I need to get a upper and lowerv carriage for my one touch 12v awning any suggestions where I can find one or what us the replacement awning for my 01 winnebago ultimate advantage
aecke4342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2016, 01:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some RV system makers have no direct retail sales...but worth a call:
Support Services Carefree RV - Carefree of Colorado

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:37 PM   #3

Carefree Onetouch Awning

I Have a similar problem with the same awning. The support info for Carefree lists dealers who can sell new awnings but they do not tend to have very many parts.

Does anyone know of someone who rebuilds these awnings? The awning itself is in very good shape, but the parts are starting to fail on a regular basis - gas springs, ribbon bobbin, etc. This thing needs to be gone through and although the owners manual is quite good and listed in the support section, we really need a repair manual that tells how to disassemble and reassemble the thing with new parts.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:38 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I have the same awning and the same issues. Last year I was doing the same search. Here is what I found: at Tampa RV show there was a Carefree rep that told me there were no known parts available for our awing. On Carefree website ther is a replacement system, but it is then newer style with scissor extensions. I have not been impressed with the newer systems and have read some bad reviews on the damage caused by wind. I like the old system and bumping my head occasionally has become lesser of an issue. I am repairing it the best I can until it dies completely and I have to do the upgrade. Maybe your at that point?
LookAtUSNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookAtUSNow View Post
I am repairing it the best I can until it dies completely and I have to do the upgrade. Maybe your at that point?
I am definitely at that point. The parts are not available so something has to be done. Either I take it apart myself and make the parts that are failing, or I replace it with the new Eclipse arms. Both of them big projects. The local dealer here suggested just replacing it with a manual awning but that is even more expensive. I don't really know what to do at this point.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:13 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Not sure where you are located, but search for an RV scrap yard and see if some of the old rigs have your parts. The few things I've priced seem reasonable. Most rigs were burnt up on the inside but you would still be buying old parts that may be at the end of their life as well. Doesn't hurt or cost to look.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:30 PM   #7

X's 2 on the RV Salvage route.

And opinion. If you end up having to replace this unit, why reward Carefree by buying another Carefree product.

I've been underwhelmed with the performance and design of our 2004 era Carefree motorized awnings. They can give you some shade protection, when the sun is high enough. But due to not being able to adjust able of the shade, two things take place: 1) The sun when is getting low angle wise, works it's way under the shade; 2) Rain is a problem, ours will collect water in the middle until it gets so heavy that the shade arms breakaway and bend enough to 'dump' a ton of water on anyone within it's splash range. So, the design of this specific Carefree product, is relatively limited in the intended functionality of being able to get shade, and rain protection.

Our coach also has the Omega II combo Slide Topper/Window awning as one unit. Without the awning part extended, the water again pools on both our bedroom and living room slide toppers - requiring a multiple step retraction of the slide. Even then, probably 20% of the time, the rear slide topper is still retaining enough pooled water, to dump in on the bedroom floor. (I usually will go out after a rain before closing the slides, pull the awning down enough to drain the topper part pool of water. And as luck would have it, many times that is when it is still raining, and the wife needs to be standing by and ready to bring the slide I just cleared the pool from the topper, pretty quickly so that it does not pool up again.

Final Omega 2 problem, and yes common with other toppers too - is that in anything above a 10MPH wind, the toppers make flapping noise enough to disturb (scare) our dog, and will wake us up at times. On nights I know it is going to be partially windy, but not so windy to bring the slides in, I toss a line over the top of the slide topper, and snub them down with bungie cord between the two ends. Keeping about a 2-3" deflection on the topper slides ends. This helps reduce the wind noise disturbance - also reduce the water pooling if it is raining too.

If we replace our Carefree main awning, I'll be taking a close look at the Girard product line.

$.02, and opinions will vary about awnings and toppers!

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:10 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Glad you chimed in smitty77, that supports my thoughts on what I've seen and read about the newer style awnings. We don't have those issues with our older style drop down awning. We are fulltime and ours stays open and teathered to ground withe no issues. I only bring it in for monsoon weather. When replacement time comes, I believe I will go with a manually operated awning with the same arm setup I currently have, it seems to be a better design and fewer problems.

Tags
awning, colorado