Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2019, 04:27 PM   #1

Charging AGM house battery with '81 Chevy alternator

This may have been asked and answered before but I can't find a scenario close to what I need. I'm new to the RV world.

I have an '81 Chevy (Mobile Traveler). I just bought it. I tested the existing house battery and it's dead as a door nail. I'm going to buy a 12v Renogy AGM 100 Ah battery as a replacement. (Is this a good battery?)

My question is this. It appears that when the engine is running, the house battery is receiving voltage from the alternator. Is this okay for an AGM? Is there something in line that would protect the AGM and how do I identify it? Would I need to do an amp test on the new battery to see what the amps are? And if so, what level am I looking for? And lastly, If I do need some sort of protection device, what would you recommend?

I know that's a lot of questions but they all pertain to the main question. Answer all if possible, please.

Thanks!
SiriusGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2019, 05:07 PM   #2

It will be fine. Almost all MHs have house battery charging while running the engine.

Many have flooded acid starting batteries and AGM house batteries.

The alternator has a voltage regulator that will keep the voltages within range of your AGM.

As far as batteries, as a newbe to living on 12 volts, I would get a cheap, deep cycle, maintance free battery.

Run that for a few years, while you figure out how to not kill it, before you invest in expensive batteries.

Sam's Club sells a GP31 deep cycle battery for around $100. It has 105 AH capacity and will do what the AGM will at 1/2 the cost.

You may want to check on your onboard converter/charger. Back in the early years they were not AGM or any battery friendly.

If at a site with shore power, where you may be plugged in for days or months, it may overcharge what ever battery you install.

Since you will be on shore power for longer periods then driving, you may want to look into a 3 or 4 stage smart charger.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Sam's Club sells a GP31 deep cycle battery for around $100. It has 105 AH capacity and will do what the AGM will at 1/2 the cost.
Thanks for the response!

Don't you have to have a Sam's Club membership to shop there?
Old 12-05-2019, 07:15 PM   #4

Yes you do.

Here is another place to pick one up.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter.../bci-group-31mClick image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-12-05-21-13-40.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	268730
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusGD View Post
I'm going to buy a 12v Renogy AGM 100 Ah battery as a replacement. (Is this a good battery?)
IMHO, not the BEST. Reneolgy is NOT a battery company. They do not manufacture that battery themselves. If you have the space, buy 2 golf cart batteries at Sams or Costco. They will store more than twice the amount of energy as that one. If you want AGM, it will cost you, but Trojan makes AGM golf cart batteries, T105-AGM. If you only have room for one battery, Trojan makes a 12V AGM golf cart battery, T1275-AGM (these are rated at 140Ah). Trojan batteries can be purchased at a solar energy store or most places that service golf carts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusGD View Post
My question is this. It appears that when the engine is running, the house battery is receiving voltage from the alternator. [B]Is this okay for an AGM? Is there something in line that would protect the AGM and how do I identify it?
The BEST solution for charging any house battery from the chassis electrical system is a DC-DC charger. Ctek, Redarc and others make them. They will "do the right thing" (prevent overcharging) and can be adjusted for different battery chemistries.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:57 PM   #6

Thanks guys! I think I'll look into buying a Sam's Club membership. Looks like I'll get my money back real quick. And I'll look into that DC - DC charging.

Tags
alternator, battery, charging, chevy