Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #1

Chassis batteries drain fast

Three years ago when I bought my Itasca Suncruiser I complained that the chassis batteries drained very fast; dead in 3 to 4 days. The dealer “checked it out” and said everything was “fine”, that I just needed to use the disconnect switch. I thought that was a stupid design, but it was not the first stupidity in design I had found by then.

I’ve batted about 89% in remembering to throw the disconnect relay if the unit was going to sit for more than a couple of days. Consequently I quickly killed the batteries and they needed to be replaced.

While replacing the chassis batteries the sparking was tremendous, so I measured the resulting current and it pegged my 10 amp meter. Now I realize I can prevent the sparks by using the disconnect relay to switch into the 10+ amp draw but that seems awfully excessive.

Does anybody believe there should be a 10+ amp draw on the chassis batteries when nothing is on (ignition switch off and radio off)? That is, was the dealer right and I just need to be more diligent in using the disconnect switch if the unit will sit for more than two days?

I've learned which of the 4 wires, connected to the disconnect switch, that carries most of the load. But it will take a ton of work find out where it goes and what it is for. There are more wires connected to the disconnect switch than indicated in Winnebago's drawing. I do not want to do that work, if it is supposed to carry that much load when everything is off.
pokgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2015, 08:39 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You should not have that much drain on your chassis batteries. Did you buy it new? If not it's possible a previous owner added something that's causing the draw. If you can, trace the extra wires to see where they go. Or you could disconnect the extra wires one at a time and see if something stops working. It's normal to have a small draw but 10 amps is excessive.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
You should not have that much drain on your chassis batteries. Did you buy it new? If not it's possible a previous owner added something that's causing the draw. If you can, trace the extra wires to see where they go. Or you could disconnect the extra wires one at a time and see if something stops working. It's normal to have a small draw but 10 amps is excessive.
I agree. My brother-in-law had the same problem and it turned out to be a backup camera/monitor that was wired hot full time. Reconnected it to an ignition-on hot and had no more problems.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:34 PM   #4

Also figure anything plugged into the accessory socket or wired in like brake light controllers and brake controllers. Assuming you find the culprit you will still be looking at a couple of weeks not months for the battery to run down. Too many computers in the newer chassis. Many seem to need at least some keep alive power.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:09 AM   #5

Had the same problem so I also use the disconnect even while camping. I suspected that the entry step was the cause of the drain. The step was sticking and therefore not fully retracting and perhaps leaving a live current to draw down the batteries.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:55 AM   #6

to all:
Thanks it would seem that the consensus is the 10 plus amps is too much. So now I get to chase wires. There are three things that really make me made about this,

1) Yes I bought it new, I will bet anything that the dealer did not even checked the amp draw. Just assumed that it was ok since all new vehicles have much more draw than the old.

2) Winnebago does not produce wiring diagrams for my 2010 unit. They tell me to use the 2009 version, as it it "pretty" close to correct. But besides the fact they are extremely poor drawings they are not correct, for what ever I am looking at.

3) Among the many stupid design issues it always takes hours to find, get to the problem and then put it all back together; for every minute it takes to actually fix problem.

If I was 20 years younger I would seriously consider starting a well designed RV company. As I would have gladly paid 20-30 percent more to buy one and I suspect I am far from alone. I think the engineers that they currently hire are ones that nobody else will hire.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokgunner View Post
to all:
Thanks it would seem that the consensus is the 10 plus amps is too much. So now I get to chase wires. There are three things that really make me made about this,

1) Yes I bought it new, I will bet anything that the dealer did not even checked the amp draw. Just assumed that it was ok since all new vehicles have much more draw than the old.

2) Winnebago does not produce wiring diagrams for my 2010 unit. They tell me to use the 2009 version, as it it "pretty" close to correct. But besides the fact they are extremely poor drawings they are not correct, for what ever I am looking at.

3) Among the many stupid design issues it always takes hours to find, get to the problem and then put it all back together; for every minute it takes to actually fix problem.

If I was 20 years younger I would seriously consider starting a well designed RV company. As I would have gladly paid 20-30 percent more to buy one and I suspect I am far from alone. I think the engineers that they currently hire are ones that nobody else will hire.
Are you downloading the wiring diagrams from Winnebago's website? Which Suncruiser do you have?

Wiring Diagrams
Old 03-07-2015, 08:55 AM   #8

I would remove all the connections to the battery with exception of the "Starter", then I would check the draw of the "Starter hook up with out starting the engine... see what Kind of draw, then as you connect each cable monitor the draw, my bet is you can at least trace it easier that way.. mark each cable that is going to the battery as to what it is. If you disconnect all the accessory cables and stuff and still have a draw then that's something for "Ford?" to look at... You need to remove every thing from the path... Your right, you should not be seeing sparking..

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find...
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:43 AM   #9

First check back with dealer as most states require warranty to stay valid until fixed...if you have service paperwork with complaint and date and that it was in warranty you may be able to still have them fix it since they failed to do so.

That may require a call to your state consumer affairs office.

For diy process locate every fuse box and relay clusters.

Also get an ir thermometer.

Place a charger on the unit to keep batteries charged and simply pull fuses until drain stops.

If the wire that has most drain is not factory look for non factory stuff.

Ir thermometer?

In the morning when everything should be cold use it to look for anything warmer than what is next to it...drawing current to generate heat.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:46 AM   #10

Thanks again to all:
As for downloading the wire diagram form Winnebago, I can only download the 2009 print as they did not make one for 2010. The drawings are very poorly made and three times now what is installed is not what is built. In this case there are 4 wires going to one side of the disconnect relay and the drawing shows 3.

As for the other ways to find the problem. I was aware of them, except for the IR means. I just did not want to do the work, if 10+ amps was indeed the design the problem. I will start looking in more detail tomorrow. But I have initially found out that the problem is a 1/0 wire. The other three combined draw 3 amps (which still seems high but marginally so). I suspect it starts the generator, for I can not think of what else would need 1/0. When I find the problem I will let you all know.

As for taking it back to the dealer, that is a 6 hour drive and if I got them to agree to fix; every time I took it to them they held on to it for over a week. More to the point I would rather fix it myself. or pay someone than to ever have to go to that dealer again.

As for the other ways to find the problem. I was aware of them except for the IR means. I will start looking in more detail tomorrow. But I have I initially found out hve noted that am supect tf the problem is not at the de
Old 03-08-2015, 09:49 AM   #11

When you lift that wire what goes dead?

That is either a large load or charging source.

It may go to a distribution panel or an inverter or charger.

Good luck!
Old 03-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #12

2010 Wiring Diagrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokgunner View Post
Thanks again to all:
As for downloading the wire diagram form Winnebago, I can only download the 2009 print as they did not make one for 2010. The drawings are very poorly made and three times now what is installed is not what is built. In this case there are 4 wires going to one side of the disconnect relay and the drawing shows 3.

As for the other ways to find the problem. I was aware of them, except for the IR means. I just did not want to do the work, if 10+ amps was indeed the design the problem. I will start looking in more detail tomorrow. But I have initially found out that the problem is a 1/0 wire. The other three combined draw 3 amps (which still seems high but marginally so). I suspect it starts the generator, for I can not think of what else would need 1/0. When I find the problem I will let you all know.

As for taking it back to the dealer, that is a 6 hour drive and if I got them to agree to fix; every time I took it to them they held on to it for over a week. More to the point I would rather fix it myself. or pay someone than to ever have to go to that dealer again.

As for the other ways to find the problem. I was aware of them except for the IR means. I will start looking in more detail tomorrow. But I have I initially found out hve noted that am supect tf the problem is not at the de
If you click on my link below, and then click on 2010 on the left, all Winnebagos/Itascas will be listed. Click on the model of your Suncruiser and all of the wiring diagrams will be listed in black letters. Click on the diagram that you want and it will download in Adobe. At least that's the way it is working for me.

Wiring Diagrams
Old 03-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #13

What i would do is take a battery charger with an amp gauge on it and hook it up to the wire that's drawing 10 amps. Have someone watch the charger and start pulling fuses. When the needle drops on the charger, you've found your culprit.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:58 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A ten amp parasitic drain is way too much. Should be in the range of 0.100 to 0.150 amps. Mine runs about 0.140.
It sounds like something like compartment bay lights are on all the time. There aren't many things that draw ten amps that can be on and you not be aware of it.

Tags
batteries, chassis