RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #43

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newellri View Post
What is the price now?
Depends on the flavor. Check here for current prices. I don't know what the prices will be once Amazon.com puts them online.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #44

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljm2071 View Post
It is now available through amazon, when you go to there (RV Comfort Systems) "where to Buy" web page the "Buy It" takes you to the Amazon web site.
Ok, I missed that. Thanks for the info. I've been going directly to Amazon and trying to find it there. Curious.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #45

Operation cost

Attached is a copy of a Chart I found comparing LPG Heat to Electric Heat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chart_JPG.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	23661  
5_fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #46

Gas vs. Electric Efficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
All true, but while the theoretical efficiency of propane vs. electric is interesting the bottom line to the RVer is simply expense, and the most cost-efficient energy source can easily vary back and forth depending on the local cost of electricity vs. propane (or especially whether you pay for metered electric at all.)
Here is a posting I found on another Thread
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chart_JPG.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	23696  
travel5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #47

cheap heat

I am new here. Just found this thead. I just ordered a CheapHeat add-on Friday before I saw all of this. It will be here on Thursday. I paid $530 shipped for it. I will be doing my own install. I must also say this is my first motorhome and I am a full-timer. Just going through a separation and could no longer say in the house so this is my option plugged into the house electric. I ran 50amp service from the house. I just don't want to deal with gas bottles every week. I will also be getting the extend-a-stay using smaller bottles for cooking. I can't wait to get it all installed and learn how to live in this MH. Once there I can then start to think about seeing the continent. Thank you for this forum and all the information.
okiejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #48
Commercial Member

Okiejim

I think you will be very happy with the operation of this system. You will no longer use any gas to heat your RV, the only thing gas will be used for will be the stove. I love my Cheap Heat System and very happy I installed it into my camper. Good luck in your future. Remember there are a lot of people that are very happy with two portable heaters going all day and night. This system is very safe and efficient. This is a plus with this system, your outside heater vent will no longer be putting out heat and gas smell from it. My camper the heater vent is on the door side and would exhaust gas fumes and heat. Could not sit outside while the heater was on and you had to keep that area cleared.
Paw John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #49

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This will be our second winter using the cheap heat system and we are very pleased. We are fulltimers and have a home base in Arizona where we winter.
The total cost to install (DIY) was less than $700. and took about 14 hours to complete.
I wont attempt to argue efficiency, just suffice it to say that we no longer are loosing 20-30% of the heat out the exhaust of the gas furnace.
If I were looking for efficiency I would not have a motorhome that averages 7-8 mpg, I would have a Toyota Corola and a tent.
Anyone that believes that a motorhome or trailer is a good investment is missing the boat completely. We RV because we love the lifestyle and adventure, not because it is a cheap way to live.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #50

Thank you guys I feel even better now. Did you have to fish tape your wiring on your install?
Did you install the disconnect in the power compartment by the transfer switch or did you put it inside? I have a 2003 Kountry Star 38'. Hiding the wiring seems to be the biggest problem I will be running into for this install. Oh instructions say you have to take the furnace out of the enclosure to perform the install is this really true?
Old 09-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #51

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did not have to use a fishtape, everything was in a location where I had easy access. I did remove the furnace for easy access to instsall the new plenum and heating element, without having to disassemble the cabinetry. In my case there was no access to the screws on the bottom of the plenum.
The switch I installed inside the cabinet with the EMS.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:24 AM   #52
Commercial Member

Like az bound I did not need a fish tape. My gas heater compartment had enought room to make all the add on connections with out removing the unit. I installed my electric / gas switch next to the hot water switch. My controller box and 30 amp disconnect switch was mounted in the heater basement compartment. I had to add a angle iron bracket to attach them to. I ran the 30 amp service all the way to the rear of my camper inside the electric cord compartment and tied into the 50 amp receptical. Now that it is all installed and I have time to think about it I should have wired the 30 amp service for the disconnect to the in house 50 amp breaker box next to the heater unit. This would have saved me money on the installation. Also add an exrta 4'' duct to the under belly compartment where the water tanks and line are. This will keep the basement heated and also the floors. This upgrade will make you so happy and will give you many years of service. Good luck and happy trails.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #53

It's here one day early. I will try to document my install I was missing on blank plate just got off the phone with Mr. Larry and he is two daying the part to me.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:34 AM   #54
Commercial Member

I hope the install goes good and happy camping ahead.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #55

I'm up and running. I lost a few days on the install due to rain and work. Had some changes I had to do for my Kountry Star, but for the most part the install went fine. I took some pics and will try to post them later in the week. I like the way the heat was almost instant as soon as the fan started. Now can't wait till winter sets in. LOL
Old 09-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #56

Lets see if I can do the documentation first try. Please bear with me on this learning curve.
This install is on a 2003 Newmar Kountry Star 38'. My first couch.

The parts laid out in front of the furnace cabinet with the front cover removed.
I ended up not using the plentum duct adapter for my install there just was not
enough room. Be aware this is little room to work with here.

Here you see the lip on the furnace cabinet that needs to be bent back for the
Cheap Heat cabinet to fit over. I just had to bend the right side for it to fit.

This is the main breaker panel in the bedroom that I used to get my high
voltage to feed the CheapHeat controller. I had to buy the romex from Lowes.
I used the last breaker space on the lower right side. I bought the breaker
at Lowes also. A 30 amp double breaker.

Here I have the panel cover removed to see where the breaker will be installed.

The breaker is in place ready to wire up. I have to start another reply I can only
post five images at a time.