RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #57

Here Im cutting out the flooring for the new access to the plenom. Surprise
#1. The sub flooring in my Newmar is glued down to the plenom and it was a bare
to chip out. I ended up cutting into the plenom by accident because the flooring would
not come out when I had cut through it. I used the Jobmax which was the best tool
for the job.

Furnace removed and you can see where the flooring has been removed. OOPS
see the cut in the plenom. Nothing a little metal tape can't fix. When you do this
be careful the flooring is only 3/4. You will have to chip it out after cutting. As you can
see there is very little space to work in. Also the duct on the right goes to the
register under the sink. Im not sure what I am going to do here yet for now it is
just not connected.

Here you can see that I had to bend the right hand side lip for the new add on
cabinet to fit. I used a hammer and a 2x4 to support the side to make the flattening.

Add on cabinet installed. I pre-drilled the screw hole in the top to help hold the
unit together after the install. There is not enough room to put this in as one unit
so I had to put to furnace in and then the add on cabinet from the inside of the
couch. Surprise #2. No room to fit a screwdriver in to put to screws in to hold the
two units together. I use a hex screwdriver bit and a socket and socket wrench
to put the screws in from the top.
okiejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2012, 05:54 AM   #58
Commercial Member

Your install

okiejim

Looks like you have a lot less room than my camper. Keep up the good work you will in joy this unit. I will be going on a camping trip soon after my grandsons football games. I help my oldest son coach my grandson. Our games should be over in the middle of November. So for our record is two and o. We play one of the best team this week. I'm very happy for you and hope this system will give you many years of service.
Paw John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #59

iRV2 No Limits Club
Looking good, okiejim. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the installation.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #60
Commercial Member

Okiejim
Very good install and I'm very happy for you. You will in joy this system for a long time. Good luck in the future.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #61

This project is now officially on my 'gotta have it list' as the budget and time allow.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #62

Heres an update. It has started to cool down here and the furnace has had to work. It does. And the time it stays on compared to the gas is really short. It only cycles on and off for about 5 mins at a time I really have not timed it but it does seem short. When the electric bill comes in I will let you know. I am running 50 service from the house. That will be interesting but for my purpose of full timing in the MH it does not matter the main this is I am comfy in my MH and lovin it.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #63

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiejim View Post
Heres an update. It has started to cool down here and the furnace has had to work. It does. And the time it stays on compared to the gas is really short. It only cycles on and off for about 5 mins at a time I really have not timed it but it does seem short. When the electric bill comes in I will let you know. I am running 50 service from the house. That will be interesting but for my purpose of full timing in the MH it does not matter the main this is I am comfy in my MH and lovin it.
Thanks for the update.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #64

So the other night I heard a pop sound and fell back a sleep when I woke up the furnace fans were running. They kept running normally with the cheap heat they are only on for 3 to 4 mins. at a time. When I threw the covers off brrrrrrrr it was cold. I felt the register in the bedroom and no heat. Shoot I just installed this thing an its broke already? I called cheap hear and Mr. Larry was right there to help. We check for voltages and all was fine then he had me checked ohms on the coil. 11.5 ohms which is what it should be. We were both at a point where Mr. Larry said, have you tried it again since this morning? I said no and turned it on. Walla heat. He thinks I heard the thermal switch kick off the furnace and that was why the cheap heat controller would not put power to the heater element. He thinksI am very happy with this system. Safety first and that is important. I am happy to say I am warm and toasty again and Mr. Larry is a very concerned and customer orientated vendor.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #65

Well I finally got my system ordered. Look forward to installing. Mine is an Attwood 8500 series so it is s full replacement box, not an add on. Any words of experience for the install would be appreciated. Does not look that bad. I think pulling the romex for power will be the biggest job. As access to the factory wire chase along the floor would require removal of a great deal of cabinetry, I plan to go down to the underside and run along the frame like the chassis wiring to the breaker box in the rear.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #66

That was my hardest part. I ended up just running mine at the bottom of the cabinets to hide the wires. I still need to secure them just have not had time to. I may have to be moving soon so I have to get that done before. My advise is just take your time to do it the way you want it done. Make sure you think about where you want the control switch located in the couch. For me that was the hardest wiring part. Good luck and I know you will enjoy having this option. I'm thinking of a way to be able to switch mine from 50 amp to 30 amp easier because I can't run it now at 50 amp with my generator and may need to if I have to leave this location.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #67

Reporting back, I finally got the time to work on this. Install took me the better part of 3 days but I am very pleased with the results. Everything looks OEM and it works perfectly with the factory remote control thermostat.

For me the challenge was our Atwood 8500 removes from the outside and there was no way the CH new box was going back in the same way. The internal return air grill opening had to get bigger to accomodate the furnace install from the inside.

There was room in my breaker box for the 2 pole breaker. I installed using the 3750 taps as recommended for my size furnace (36k). It works very well and blows nice warm air through all the vents. I was also surprised how quiet the unit is. Seems much of the noise in the furnace is not the fan but the propane burner. Ileft the unit running non-stop for about an hour (stat set at 90) and nothing got too hot to touch, nothing shut off from overheat or cycled so it seems good to go.

Larry at CheapHeat was very helpful in suggesting what to do with my furnace install and took the time to help me plan the job right. Nice guy to work with and a very nice product! I look forward to using it for years to come.

I relished putting the space heaters away for the last time...never to be tripped over again and never to be worried about again.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #68

jc,
Sweet. I knew you could do it. I too had little parts that were hard to do. I have been using mine all winter now since I am full timing. It has not let me down. Even through the freezes it has kept my basement from having any troubles. Still not sure about the electric bills yet. But I have not had to get any propane so far this winter. Safe travels and warm winters.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #69
Commercial Member

I'm glad you completed your install. I think you will enjoy this heating unit for a long time. I see you also notice that this system is not as loud as when the gas unit is running. Good luck in the future. Happy Trails !!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #70

I'm guessing this is a campground consideration, not a concern for boondockers.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote