Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #1

Circuit Board for Atwood Water Heater

Our '94 motorhome has an Atwood water heater, model GCH10-2E. It is a direct ignition model that works on propane, electric, and engine heat exchange.

I believe that the control board doesn't have enough umph to ignite the burner any more. I've cleaned all the connectors and ground wires, and adjusted the gap on the spark probe , but there is little or no spark. The thermal fuse is still good, and I can light the burner manually with a match... and once the spark probe is hot it will spark enough to relight, but as soon as it cools down for a minute, it will not spark.

Would you agree that the control board probably needs replaced?

I have been looking for a replacement board, but the original part number doesn't seem to be available. The manual shows the part number for the control board as 93867. Does anyone have any information as to an adequate replacement for this board... ie, part number and vendor?

thanks in advance.

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It might be a crack in the ignitor ceramic that dries out after it gets hot.
There are instructions in the service manual for trouble shooting that.

http://www.bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/a...aterheater.pdf

You might Google dinosaur boards. They make replacements for most of the Atwood boards and have a good reputation.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
It might be a crack in the ignitor ceramic that dries out after it gets hot.
The ceramic around the spark probe appears to be in good condition. Everything is clean. Continuity across the spark probe and the wire connected to it looks good also. Voltage feeding the board also good @ 13.3v.

I've been messing with this thing all day... and now it won't spark at all... regardless of the gap size. I think I need to track down another board. I will check into the dinosaur boards you spoke of.

-cheers
Old 01-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #4

By the way... the part number on the board itself differs from what is in the manual... Part number on the board is:

Atwood P/N AVM93256

Can't find this part number either, though it looks to cross reference with a new number... 93865? Can anyone confirm this?

cheers
Old 01-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #5

Just bought a UIB-L Dinosaur board off ebay for about $70. Hope this is right... I'll post back after it gets shipped and I have a chance to install it.

cheers
Old 01-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Alas, at this point I'd not agree but I'd clearly suspect. As others have said it might be a cracked ceramic insulator, it might be a bad connection upline from the heater (on the 12 volt side) it might be low batteries, and yes it might be a bad control board.

IF you decide it is a control board, visit the Dinosaurboards web site and see if they have one that fits your heater.

I put a Dino board in my Attwood furnace.. Less than half the price, More than twice the quality in my trained and not at all humble opinion.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #7

UPDATE:

The new Dinosaur board arrived today... took all of a couple minutes to install, and voila... fire in the hole. Works perfect.

cheers
Old 01-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't you love Dino boards,, Way less expensive, And did you notice how well they are bult.. Seriously well built. Even the design is better for that matter, at least on the furnace board I have.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Don't you love Dino boards,, Way less expensive, And did you notice how well they are bult.. Seriously well built. Even the design is better for that matter, at least on the furnace board I have.
They are definitely less expensive... as far as how well built they are, I'll have to take your word for it. I know very little about electronics.

One thing I am sure of is that I was happy to hear the "woosh" of the water heater igniting on the first touch of the on button. sweet.

cheers
Old 01-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
UPDATE:

The new Dinosaur board arrived today... took all of a couple minutes to install, and voila... fire in the hole. Works perfect.

cheers
Good deal !!
Thanks for the update.

Tags
atwood, heater, water