Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2023, 07:03 PM   #1

City water leaks behind flange

Hi,

I just replaced a broken city water fitting. While doing a leak test, I noticed there is a little leak behind the flange (between the flamge and the RV wall) when I disconnect the hose from the RV at first (before disconnecting the end from the tap). Otherwise, if the hose is disconnected from the tap first, there is no leak at the RV end. It looks like the pressure needs to be released before disconnecting the hose from the RV to avoid that leak. I tried with 2 fittings and it does the same behavior. Is that normal?

Thanks!
xben is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2023, 03:55 AM   #2

Doesn't the hose leak at the tap end when you loosen it first? The pressurized water is going to escape wherever it can.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 05:06 AM   #3

Yes it does, but a small amount also leaks behind the flange. I can see it clearly as it is still hanging (not fixed to the RV yet). If the pressure is released from the tap end, no leak.
Old 05-23-2023, 06:03 AM   #4

RV city water connector should not leak before or when disconnected. Vacuum break connector may.

Post a picture for better advice.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 10:35 AM   #5

See the attached image.. It is a bit dark but we can see a lot of water dripping at the bottom of the flange. After a deeper analysis, it seems the water is passing through the flange by the swivel connector, even if there is an o-ring. It is probably not tight enough but I can't figure out how to make it more tight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230523_122642.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	393594  
Old 05-23-2023, 11:34 AM   #6

That is a lot of weight hanging on the hose side connection

If you can not get it tight enough now (not installed) you will never get it tight enough when you attach it to side of RV

I have a 90* brass elbow with shutoff valve connected to my city water inlet
It STAYS in place....so I tightened it using pliers
When using hose I connect it to the end
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 11:56 AM   #7

It only leaks when I disconnect the hose from the inlet. I disassembled it and without the flange, I clearly see the water goes between the check valve and the swivel nut. There is no washer there, so I suspect that when disconnecting the hose, the accumulated pressure wants to escape where it can, and this is one of the available spots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20230523_134907.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	393602   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230523_134326.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	393603  

Old 05-23-2023, 07:54 PM   #8

Buy another one........

Water leaking inside RV possibly between sidewall WILL destroy it
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 05:35 AM   #9

You can just replace the whole thing for less than $20.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 05-26-2023, 04:52 AM   #10

The check valve is cross threaded into the swivel nut.
Old 05-27-2023, 06:47 AM   #11

There is no thread between the check valve and the swivel nut.

Anyway, I replaced both parts by 2 new brass ones... Which also leaked following the same pattern. Replaced them again, leaked again... I did a demonstration to the store with 2 new ones (i.e. 7th & 8th parts) that also leaked. They were speechless. I'm pretty sure this is a design flaw, so you better check yours. Remember they only leaked following a specific sequence.
Old 05-27-2023, 10:44 AM   #12

There is thread on the check valve and it is cross threaded. Most likely it also needs a cone washer to seal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cross threaded.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	393908  
Old 05-28-2023, 06:59 AM   #13

This is not where it leaks, go back to top and read carefully
Old 05-28-2023, 07:45 AM   #14

Sounds to me like there is a vacuum breaker in those parts - and vacuum breakers will dump water, either when first pressurized and, when there is a higher pressure on the downstream side than the upstream side (it’s the whole intent of a vacuum breaker! - to prevent water backing up into the potable water source system).

Not an easy solution as the vacuum breaker really needs to be there, or somewhere where water hooks to the coach (some parks might not let you connect, or force you to disconnect if there is no means to prevent contamination of their water system from your coach in the event of a water system failure).

Best solution I can think of is to open a sink faucet IN the coach before turning off the water supply TO the coach - that allows the coach pressure to bleed down as system pressure bleeds off and the vacuum breaker won’t open to dump water.

Or, find pieces/parts to eliminate the vacuum breaker and use a vacuum breaker on the outside of the coach where the hose connects.

Tags
leak, leaks, water, water leak