Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Cleaning Blackwater tank sensors

Hello all, having problems with the readings on my blackwater tank. I have pulled the sensors and cleaned them and the level readings were OK for the first fill and empty. After that back to the problem of reading half to three quarters full when tank is empty. I think I understand the waste film as it's called building up on the tank walls and creating a path for the electrical connection. Is there a remedy for this.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
I have never done this but I have been told that if you put a cube of Cascade Dishwasher soap in you tank it will break down that film you are talking about.

Just drop it in during normal use and while you are going to be driving. Just a thought. Good luck.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:51 AM   #3

I empty my ice cubes in the toilet just before I drive away. The sloshing and the ice cubes will scrub off any debris and when you get home dump. All clean.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi Winnie, your gonna hate this. I just read about this the other day, but I can't remember which thread it was. It's here somewhere, but what they said was sludge built up on the walls will short across the probes and give false readings. They also talked about replacements that are foolproof. I have the same issues with my MH, and am probably going to replace mine at least on the black water tank. As soon as I come across that info I'll post, otherwise someone will have better recall than I do
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've used the Cascade dishwasher packets in my blackwater tank and it actually works! I filled the tank about 1/2 full and then went for a drive after dropping in 2 packets. The sloshing around helps to hit the whole tank. When I dumped the tank the sensors worked perfectly. I've also tried the ice cubes in a half filled tank but I've had problems with the toilet seal after releasing the foot pedal ever since. Perhaps the DW didn't understand that we didn't need to dump two ice bags into the bowl before flushing.......
Old 03-29-2011, 11:34 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ok, Horst miracle probes is the website . the black water probes make sense with the hooded portion as described. Anyway good luck!
Old 03-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #7

My gray tank recently began reading 2/3 to full, even when empty (15 years old).
I tried 7 1/2 cups (3/4 cup/gal) of TSP powder ($9.00) in 30 gal of water in my 40 gal tank. I drove 250 miles and dumped......No change. Time for a SeeLevel upgrade!
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #8

Seelevel

RV Tank Monitor System
ischua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have tried just about all of the many methods people say will clean the tank walls and have never found anything that works.
I even have a non-contact sensor system will sensors on the outside of the tanks and the black tank reads full all the time. The gray tank reads 2/3 full when empty.

A number of people have posted that they are having good luck with the Horst probes mentioned above. This is their site Horst Miracle Probes for Wastewater Tanks in Recreational Vehicles RVs
Old 04-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey everybody, just installed the Horst Miracle Probes in black and grey tanks. It took all of about 45 minutes to do. I Had to drill a 3/8 hole for each probe next to the original location, inserts the probe, tighten and put the wire on. Going out in a couple of weeks, will see how they work, check for leaks!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Y'all,

Is there any way to prevent gunk from building up in a new system?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #12

Some folks report success with tank/sensor cleaning using TSP (TriSodium Phosphate) heavy duty cleaner.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Hi Y'all,

Is there any way to prevent gunk from building up in a new system?
Yep. Get some water softener and dissolve a cup of the powder in hot water. Add the mix to the black tank along with a couple of gallons of water. Do not dump the tank until it is at least 3/4 full. If you can't wait that long, then fill the tank up with water, then dump.

You can also install a tank flusher on the other side of the tank from where the sensors are mounted. Use the flusher during every dump.

My coach is an '02 and my sensors have never given me a problem.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:05 PM   #14

The best remedy may be to just replace your existing sensor with a new one. One plausible option would be the SeeLevel sensor, as it is designed specifically for this problem, and is actually located on the outside of the tank, so it can't get grime to collect on it. The only complaints that I have ever heard about this unit is 1: the price, and 2: the system isn't waterproof. Any water that comes into contact with it supposedly destroys the sensor.

If you are concerned about the price or the water issue, you may want to consider this alternative Water Level Sensor. It is cheaper than the SeeLevel, and it supposedly is watertight.
JLodge is offline   Reply With Quote