Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2021, 02:21 PM   #1

Coach Batteries

Howdee,
I'm looking for info/advice on changing from two 6 volt batteries to one 12 volt lithium battery.
One battery supplier mentions something about a DC to DC charger component between the alternator & the battery.
Are there any electrical experts here to help out?
Any & all help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2021, 03:09 PM   #2

Without knowing the year, brand, and model of your RV, and the brand, model of inverter/charger we are in the dark for how to respond.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 03:37 PM   #3

2001 National Surfside 3311
inverter/charger unknown at this time.
(Which is part of the reason for looking for the expert, to advise where to locate & identify the inverter/charger)
That said, I was under the impression the changing of batteries was mostly generic & not really proprietary.
I think I just learned something new.
Thanks for your response, Ray.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
With that year I think you would have some work to do search the site for lithium swap you will find lots of info but the 3 major issues are.

1. Your inverter/charger needs to be able to charge lithium the charger profile is much different that lead.

2. If your alternator charges your house batteries due to the ability of lithium to draw amps very quickly they can burn up the alternator by pulling high amps for long time. So you must a amp limiter like a magnum SBC or a time limiter like the li225.

3. If using lead starter battery’s and a lithium house charger profile. You need a something that will limit the volts going to the lead chassis battery’s if your house inverter/charger charges the chassis battery’s also.

I swapped to AGM chassis battery’s the profile from lithium is close enough that the voltage limiting is not required with the use of the magnum SBC. I also had to update my inverter/charger to a lithium compatible unit.

Now there are on the market lithium “drop in” batteries I have not personally used any or know if there any good. I would recommend some you tube and research on said types. If you do not want to do the other work.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:40 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Coach Batteries

This has some good info using the dc/dc charge solution I did not go this way due to cost.

The other reason I did not do the dc/dc system is because it is a one way solution from alternator to house batteries it will not charge house to chassis for that you need a second unit.

https://www.altestore.com/blog/2020/.../#.YQ4cacpHaf0
Old 08-07-2021, 01:06 AM   #6

Thanks Biljol.
I appreciate your help on this!
Old 08-07-2021, 06:22 AM   #7

Lithium battery upgrades

https://battlebornbatteries.com/systems/rv/

Battle Born has a web page devoted to different chargers for use with their batteries.

Their battery charges best using a constant 14.4 volts. Most RV chargers use a lower voltage for part or all of the charging cycle. The batteries still work with lower voltage, but don't fully charge.

Motor homes have both chassis and house batteries. Some charge both banks using the house charger or when driving. AGM lead acid starting batteries may not do well with a constant 14.4 volts house batteries.

Large lithium battery banks can draw high currents while charging. Some motor homes don't have a high capacity engine alternator. It can get hot and possibly damage the alternator. One Battle Born battery is not likely to do this.

A battery to battery charger can adjust the voltage and limit the current between the two battery banks.

Specs for the batteries, charger, and alternator determine if a B to B charger is required.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZepZoSo-Rox View Post
Howdee,
I'm looking for info/advice on changing from two 6 volt batteries to one 12 volt lithium battery.
One battery supplier mentions something about a DC to DC charger component between the alternator & the battery.
Are there any electrical experts here to help out?
Any & all help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Just curious...what is your reasoning/motivation for making the change?

I assume your two 6v batteries are providing you with ~225AH of capacity. Are those batteries old/dying and need to be replaced? Are you thinking about adding one lithium 100AH battery or a 200AH lithium battery?

If you are (like most) using your RV for 10-30 days per year with mostly long weekend trips or maybe an occasional week long trip, and if most of your trips involve some days plugged in to shore power, then two 6v batteries with 225AH of capacity will likely work just fine for you. If they are old and no longer working, I would simply replace them with new 6v batteries and then with all the $$$ and time you save (vs going to lithium) go camping!

If you don't already have ~200w of solar, I'd add that to your RV/trailer and it will keep those 6v batteries charged 95% of the time and you don't need lithium.

Just my 2 cents. To each their own of course.

Happy Camping!
Chris
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries