Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2022, 10:11 AM   #1

Coleman AC1 low air volume.

I have a problem with my AC1 unit not putting out a high volume of air compared to AC2. AC1 starts fine, cools and runs fine, just not a high volume of air. Does the start/run capacitor affect the speed of the fan? Or, is there a capacitor dedicated to the fan that would affect its speed? The AC1 fan spins freely and I've lubed the shaft with silicon oil. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Paul

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2022, 11:26 AM   #2

The fan cap rarely has an affect on the fans speed. Usually when they are bad or failing, the motor won’t start - that is when the cap is most “tested”, when the motor tires to start.

Are you certain the fan is 2 speed?
Are you certain the thermostat was wired correctly to the control board in the rooftop unit?

I’m not real sure how well silicone lubricants mix with what was used in the motor by the OEM and what the long term effects will be. If it were me, I would relube with sufficient quantities of non-detergent lightweight machine oil.
Old 08-18-2022, 01:07 PM   #3

The fan is two speed however, when I turn on the AC I just set it to auto and it does what it does, I don't select fan speed. The thermostat is OEM the rig is 2006 Bounder so the thermostat is old.

Old 08-18-2022, 01:31 PM   #4

Does the stat have a Hi-Low fan switch? If so, do you get a speed change when you flip the switch?

Stat’s age doesn’t have much to do with it. People get overly excited about stat failures - doesn’t happen as often as we’re lead to believe.

Do you have a model number for your A/C unit?
Old 08-18-2022, 01:35 PM   #5

If the A/C is OEM and indeed 16 years old, the squirrel cage fan may be dirty. Over the years the "cup" shaped fan blades will fill in with lint, dirt and what-have-you and will change the cup shape into a more straight shape blade that will not move the same volume of air at the same rotational speed. It's an easy thing to check and with a small flexible shafted bristle brush, it's pretty easy to clean. I assume you have kept the foam filter clean as general maintenance.

Dan
Old 08-18-2022, 01:54 PM   #6

When I switch from low to high fan speed on AC1 nothing happens, it's like it's always in low. I'm not gonna mess with them now, too hot 101F predicting 108F. I'll work on them in the morning.

Thanks for your time.

Paul

Old 08-18-2022, 04:13 PM   #7

If there is no change in speed from low to high it is most likely the speed switch. That too is easily replaced.

Dan
Old 08-18-2022, 04:41 PM   #8

Is this speed switch on the fan motor or in/on the thermostat?

Old 08-18-2022, 05:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincup View Post
Is this speed switch on the fan motor or in/on the thermostat?
If its a Coleman stat - they make stats with, and without, a Hi-Low fan speed switch.

Without knowing your specific unit model - from what research Ive done - if you stat has the fan Hi-Low switch, then your problem is either a wiring problem between the stat and the control board, or the control board.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincup View Post
I have a problem with my AC1 unit not putting out a high volume of air compared to AC2. AC1 starts fine, cools and runs fine, just not a high volume of air. Does the start/run capacitor affect the speed of the fan? Or, is there a capacitor dedicated to the fan that would affect its speed? The AC1 fan spins freely and I've lubed the shaft with silicon oil. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Paul

I don't know if you have a ducting issue or a fan issue, but if you take the ceiling grille off, and the metal plate that covers the fan, it should blow max air into the cabin. If that helps, you might have a ducting issue. Either way, you will get a lot more cold air into the cabin in one straight blast.
Old 08-20-2022, 08:28 AM   #11

Thanks for the comment. I check the flow right at the grill before it gets to the duct work.

I replaced the thermostat with no affect, it looks like there is a problem on the circuit board on the roof, or whatever tells the fan motor to go slow or fast. I assume the stat is telling the motor to go slow or fast but whatever is on that roof circuit board aint't passing that on to the motor. :-)

Old 08-20-2022, 09:22 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The ducting in most RV is very badly designed and installed. Take down the inside panel and check that the inlet to outlet side of the unit is completely sealed and that the chase for the power wiring is sealed at the roof. Lots of air volume can be wasted here.

Finally, the difference between high and low fan is barely detectable on some units. You can use an amp meter to see if the fan draws more current on high fan.

Have you tried to reset the thermostat by removing the cover and pulling the glass fuse for a minute?

When was the last time the fan and evaporator were cleaned?

Just some starting points.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 01:59 PM   #13

From what I can tell, the control board for the fan, in fact for directing all thermostat functions - is accessed from inside the coach. It may be accessible thru the filter panel, or may require removal of the ceiling bezel.

It would really help you to get the manual and wiring diagram for your unit and identify to us what stat you have.

For the most part, everyone is guessing because you’ve not given adequate information.
Old 08-20-2022, 02:56 PM   #14

The stat part number is AK7808H, Date code 0501, RVP# 8330B335.
I am not an HVAC guy but my problem is nothing more than changing speed on a fan motor. The cooling part of the AC unit works fine, it's just not moving much cool air. When I remove the ceiling bezel all I can access is the squirl fan, no electronics.

Tags
air, coleman