Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2015, 05:37 PM   #1

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Coleman Airxcel Mach 8 Low Profile

This post has 2 points to make. One is the exterior noise due the fan blade design and the other point being what I found that may be of importance to anyone with this model of a/c unit.
The Mach 8 is a very loud unit on the outside and I have read on other forums of neighboring RVers complaining to owners of these units.
I did a general search and found out that Airxcel had a redesigned fan blade that significantly reduces the exterior noise, improves efficiency, and even helps to quieten the unit inside.
I contacted Airxcel and they confirmed this and they offered to send the new fan blade. It's an easy exchange by simply removing a retaining screw and R/R the blade with the new one. They also include a "hat" that keeps the top of the a/c housing from deforming downward atop the turning fan blade.
Today, I climbed atop the 2014 LS36fw to replace the blade. Simple enough right? Of course not. Is anything ever that simple?
What I found is that 2 of the 3 motor mounting screws were literally broken and the motor was being held in place my one screw. The motor was not setting square into the area it should be so it was just a matter of time. Wouldn't that have been great if that other screw had broken while the unit was running?
In order to replace the screws in the manner in which the factory installed them the entire a/c unit has to be removed. The screws are installed from the bottom and then nuts are installed from inside the exterior cover. The screws go through the mounting holes and rubber dampers. The mounting area is not broken. The screw broke.
I have no plans of removing the a/c unit in order to get to these three screws. I can't tackle this now until I get home. I don't know yet if the screws are threaded through the mounting holes or not. That is going to determine how I replace it.
Those of you with these Mach 8 low profile units should check the fan mounting screws. I can't imagine how they broke unless they were so over torqued when installed. Who knows? Phillip
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2015, 12:29 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the info. I for one and a lot of others can benefit from your experience. Thanks.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:01 AM   #3

Loose screws on Coleman Mach 8 AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
This post has 2 points to make. One is the exterior noise due the fan blade design and the other point being what I found that may be of importance to anyone with this model of a/c unit.
Today, I climbed atop the 2014 LS36fw to replace the blade. Simple enough right? Of course not. Is anything ever that simple?
What I found is that 2 of the 3 motor mounting screws were literally broken and the motor was being held in place my one screw. The motor was not setting square into the area it should be so it was just a matter of time. Wouldn't that have been great if that other screw had broken while the unit was running?
In order to replace the screws in the manner in which the factory installed them the entire a/c unit has to be removed. The screws are installed from the bottom and then nuts are installed from inside the exterior cover. The screws go through the mounting holes and rubber dampers. The mounting area is not broken. The screw broke.
I have no plans of removing the a/c unit in order to get to these three screws. I can't tackle this now until I get home. I don't know yet if the screws are threaded through the mounting holes or not. That is going to determine how I replace it.
Those of you with these Mach 8 low profile units should check the fan mounting screws. I can't imagine how they broke unless they were so over torqued when installed. Who knows? Phillip
I have the same problem. All 3 screws were gone. One was loose on the roof. Had the unit only for a year. The motor was loose and the blades where hitting the structure that holds the cover. We live up North and seldom use the AC. I tested the unit today and heard a weird noise from outside.
Seems like a recurring problem. Bad design and cheap hardware. My up-fitter will have to reinstall the AC unit because the screws are only accessible from the bottom of the unit. Another great design in this miserable world of cheap RV equipment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	98460  
Giorgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:57 PM   #4

I have the same issues with two AC units on top of my 5th Wheel. Mine look just like the pictures you have posted. The mounts are broken and the fan blades are broke,. How did you end up fixing them? Airexcel is shipping parts but I am concerned about it happening again.
Don_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:34 PM   #5

I just traded in my old rig with those units and all I can say is good riddance. The exterior noise made me the loudest unit in most campgrounds. We'd be sitting outside talking or whatever and the ACs would come on and drown out the conversation.
And we haven't even discussed the cracked blade issue yet (lots of threads on that problem)