Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #1

Coleman basement air conditioner

I have a Coleman basement ac in my 2004 Itasca motorhome, and the unit needs repair. Does Coleman still build the basement units?
Bunky 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2. I've moved your post here to get the broadest view. Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:40 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Last I heard there was still a few available, I think it was from Winnebago.

What's wrong with the one you have that it can't be repaired. Any good AC unit technician should be able to make repairs.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:46 PM   #4

I have called several ac repairmen, and only found 1 that would make a service call. We're living in the motorhome at the present time, so it makes it difficult to take to a dealer. I'm worried now since I have been reading where Coleman no longer makes the unit. Bad news if I wanted to replace it.
Bunky 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #5

How about what's wrong with it?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where are you located? I know of 2 places in California that repair them and possibly have "new" ones also. I had a mobile RV repair service repair mine.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #7

Any home Airconditioning Serviceman should be able to service it. The gent who cares for my home AC took one look at the basement ait unit and said he would have no problems servicing it as it is pretty much a fairly simple unitized ducted AC that is commonly slab mounted next to a mobile office or mobile home.

AirXcel is still in business, makes variations on the basement air unit for the marine, mobile home and elevator industries, etc. They have the service manuals available on-line for anyone to download:
Airxcel | RV Products | Tech Info
Old 02-04-2014, 10:29 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As others have said this unit is repairable. Most of the electronics are in the compartment behind the grill on the side of the coach. The units are basicall window units. The problem is finding someone that either has experience or is willing to learn something new. I've had mine out and it's not too hard, just time consuming. The article by "Duner" on IRV2 is the best resource, just do a search and print it out.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 07-01-2014, 01:35 PM   #9

I've called everybody in the Sacramento area and nobody will touch my Coleman basement A/C. Could you please give me the info on the two that you know will work on these units.
sgtstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is the place I called, they told me they work on RV's. I used a mobile repairman in Sonoma County to fix mine.

AAA Appliance Service
1824 Woolley Way
Sacramento
916-929-9777

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:53 PM   #11

Go on Craig's list for your area. Search on "HVAC service". There will be someone advertising a business that comes out to your location. Sure, some will be brand specific repair people, but with enough calls you should be able to find an independent HVAC technician that wants the business.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtstriker View Post
I've called everybody in the Sacramento area and nobody will touch my Coleman basement A/C. Could you please give me the info on the two that you know will work on these units.
Try the mfg website at Airxcel | RV Products | Service , put in a zip or just a state and changes the miles radius to what you want. When service places come up, look for those with "u-f" inthe services area. Then call and ask if they work on basement units as I have found that too often even when the code says they do, they don't.

Above comment that any competent ac tech can work on them is correct, if you can get them to take a look to start with. It is basically a "rooftop package unit". The catch is that you would need to pull it from the coach. I pulled mine a couple of weeks ago and had a friend ac tech add freon. They are sealed units w/o taps, but I had a compressor replaced by a service location 2 years ago and it had not cooled well since. When I opened it up I found they did not put a cap on the tap they had to add with the new compressor ...idiot!! It took one pound of freon to get back to full charge.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:21 PM   #13

Called AAA Appliance. The number has been disconnected and there is no website. It appears that they went out of business...
sgtstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:41 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtstriker View Post
Called AAA Appliance. The number has been disconnected and there is no website. It appears that they went out of business...
Sorry to hear that. They had a good business model, make an appt time, drive in and they worked on it until done. Never had to leave your RV, in and out the same day. Hard to find in the RV repair business!

Tags
air conditioner