Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2021, 06:08 PM   #1

Coleman Mach A/C Troubleshooting

I have a 2019 Minnie Winnie 31G with a Coleman Mach 15,000 BTU AC, Model # 48254C869. On my most recent trip I wanted to exercise the generator on the way to the campground. After turning on the generator I turned on the AC at the thermostat and the fan did not come on. After a few seconds I shut it off and retried and still nothing. Once it sounded like the compressor fan turned on but no impellor or distribution fan. I tried just turning the fan on manually also but nothing. I shut the generator down and drove to the campground about an hour away. After setting up I tried the AC again, no fan. I took the inside cover off and checked wiring, everything looked fine. When I was opening up the cover on the cold side the system started up. I let things cool down in the camper while checking things on the roof, everything looked and sounded fine. I cycled the system a few times and everything was fine. The system worked fine the rest of the weekend. When I got home I took the roof shroud off and looked around. The capacitors looked fine to me and wiring seemed fine, see attached pictures. Does anyone have a obvious solution or troubleshooting procedure to help me along?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3560.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	340541   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3561.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	340542  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3562.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	340543   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3558.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	375.0 KB
ID:	340544  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2021, 09:11 AM   #2

I tried again today after not using ac for a week. I started up the generator, let it run for about 5 minutes, then tried turning on the circulating fan only and nothing. I let it sit like that for about 4 minutes then the fan came on. I turned on ac and let it run for about 5 minutes then shut it down. I was able to cycle the fan on and off without any problems. Can anyone give me some advice?
Is this normal? Is it a sign of the fan going bad?

Thanks
Old 08-28-2021, 09:33 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
This sounds more like a thermostat or control board problem. I would start with the t-stat first.
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:19 PM   #4

One of the (3) Coleman Mach units in my Tiffin does this same thing. At times it runs fine, blower fan comes on and in a little while the compressor comes on. Other times, the compressor will come on, but the blower fan hasn't and doesn't start up.

The other two units do not have this issue. Is there a separate thermostat or controller other than the one control/thermostat that handle all three units?

I use the unit when I'm present, but I always listen to see if the fan comes on or only the compressor and if the fan doesn't come on, I lower the thermostat to shut down the compressor. Any ideas or thoughts?

Randal
rdtebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:00 PM   #5

I just have one unit in my Class C. I changed the thermostat a couple years ago to a Honeywell RTH5100B 1025 Deluxe Manual Thermostat and it has been working fine. My next step is to reinstall the original Coleman Mach thermostat, when I find it.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:13 AM   #6

I could not find the original thermostat so I am still using the Honeywell model. At home I was checking wires and connections and found the wire bundle going to the thermostat was hanging without support inside the wall. While securing the bundle the white wire which goes to the furnace pulled out of the crimp connector. After installing a new connector I put everything back together and tried the fan numerous times and it worked fine. I am presently in the middle of a week long trip and the fan quit again. I was able to check the wire and pin going into the control box for the high speed fan and was getting 13.7 volts but fan was not running. I switched the wire coming from the thermostat for the fan to the pin for the low speed fan and the fan worked. I’ve been running that way for a couple days without any problems.
So I guess my control box is the problem or the relay for the high speed fan.
Can I get some guidance on my control box theory? If I am correct is it worth trying to replace the relay or just replace the control box?
motts461 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coleman, troubleshooting