Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2021, 04:34 PM   #1

Connecting batteries with equal length wires vs matched resistance.

Still working on planning our my inverter upgrade and moving to lithium. My plan is to use three 206ah SOK batteries and a Magnum MSH3012RV inverter.

It seems like there two schools of thought on how to wire the batteries together.

The most common approach seems to be to connect them all together in a line using 4/0 wire and then tapping the negative off the battery on one side and the positive from the other side.

The alternative approach is to have each battery connect to a terminal block using equal length wires. I guess those equal length wires could be smaller then 4/0. Maybe 2/0.

Is there any real compelling reason to go with equal length wires? And if so what are they?

TIA.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2021, 09:33 PM   #2

I like the buss bar method. Mainly for ease of installation/isolation if necessary.
NewBlackDak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:38 AM   #3

Ampacities of cables is dependent on both the insulation type and and the environment they will be operating in. That said, 4/0 cable should be good for at least 300 amps in most environments and 1/0 should be good for roughly 200 amps. 2/0 will be in between. Those are ball park, only.

If you choose to parallel them on a bus like NewBlackDak is suggesting, I'd go with the 4/0. That would give you a good and safe installation. If you go with a terminal block, the 2/0 should be plenty adequate. You would be talking about a lot more connectors and what I would think would be a bit of a cluttered installation using the terminal blocks. But it would surely work.

I would say that you should connect them in a manner that won't be overly difficult, and I wouldn't stress about cable lengths. Make it easy on yourself. Make it a "clean" installation. You'll be fine, either way. Whatever you do, remember that the installation of the lugs on the ends of the cables will be your most critical concern. Make sure that is done right!
K7JV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:40 AM   #4

i only have two batteries but i went with the bus bar technique. both of my batteries are in their own sealed and vented battery box. there is a small opening on each side of the box to allow a battery cable in. if i had connected the two batteries together using jumper cables between the two batteries i would have had to allow for three cables to exit each box (a positive on one, a negative on the other, and two jumpers on each). by using a bus bar on the outside of the boxes on each side i only have to run a positive and negative cable out each box and i can use the existing cable openings. i don't need to route jumper cables between the two batteries. the factory installed jumpers were 4 gauge cables. i used 1 gauge for the cables from the battery terminals to the bus bars. that was the biggest that the local auto parts store that made the cables had.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries