Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2019, 09:34 AM   #29

Sounds like an excellent plan.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2019, 10:02 AM   #30

Question

"add a GoPower IC2000 Inverter Charger to the front pass thru and connected to the shore power side AC entering the trailer."

I may not understand what you mean here. Connecting the new inverter to the shore power line is definitely a no! no! Shore power must be connected to the transfer switch. Inverter must be connected to the transfer switch at the proper terminals.

Charger/Converter can be connected to the shore power, but would be better connected to the transfer switch proper terminals so it will work with both generator and shore power.

The transfer switch usually handles AC input from three sources, Shore, Generator, and Inverter. Only one at a time may be active at a time. Some RV circuits may only be supplied by shore power depending on the generator and inverter.

You should draw a circuit diagram of your planned system including the internals of the transfer switch or switches. If you can't do that then you should get an expert to help you.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
"add a GoPower IC2000 Inverter Charger to the front pass thru and connected to the shore power side AC entering the trailer."

I may not understand what you mean here. Connecting the new inverter to the shore power line is definitely a no! no! Shore power must be connected to the transfer switch. Inverter must be connected to the transfer switch at the proper terminals.

Charger/Converter can be connected to the shore power, but would be better connected to the transfer switch proper terminals so it will work with both generator and shore power.

The transfer switch usually handles AC input from three sources, Shore, Generator, and Inverter. Only one at a time may be active at a time. Some RV circuits may only be supplied by shore power depending on the generator and inverter.

You should draw a circuit diagram of your planned system including the internals of the transfer switch or switches. If you can't do that then you should get an expert to help you.

The model he is using has a built in 30 amp transfer switch
Old 01-01-2019, 10:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clomok View Post
The model he is using has a built in 30 amp transfer switch
++1
Old 01-02-2019, 10:26 AM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
so it will work with both generator and shore power.
Thanks for the input.

As others have mentioned, the IC2000 has a 30 amp auto transfer switch and the only AC input would be through the shore power (30 amp) cable - either pedestal power or portable generator - I don't have (nor do I want) a hard mounted genny.

Long story short, power comes in on existing shore power connection (now disconnected from WFCO power centre and extended to GoPower Charger/Inverter), AC output line returns to power centre for distribution. Converter section in power centre to be deleted. On sensing AC power on the AC Input, the IC2000 delays and then switches relays to provide AC pass through otherwise the inverter is normally connected according to the literature. DC Out goes to the battery bank for charging and powering DC circuits (electrical connection already in place from previous factory install).

I won't be wiring it myself - I'm having a Red Seal RV Tech install it but I know how I want it to work which is the first step in asking someone else to install something that will work the way you want...

My original way is simpler and cheaper but this way will not cost me anything on resale - a MacGyver approach is likely to throw some buyers when and if we go to sell - and adds the benefit of an inverter for overnight phone charging or running a heating pad when boondocking without trying to do something ignorant like running a genny overnight.
RoadDogYVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:17 AM   #34

The way you explained now sounds great! You have my permission to go ahead.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:05 PM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
You have my permission to go ahead.
Woo hoo! I just hope your permission has some cachet with the girlfriend...

"Um honey... why is there an invoice here for $4000?"

"Some guy on the Internet said it was okay!"
RoadDogYVR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, charger