Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2023, 09:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRosebud View Post
At this point maybe I change all the fuel lines and clamps with new, just to be sure. That's a cheap try.

Al
Didnt you already replace the fuel lines? I wouldnt bother with anything upstream of the fuel pump. If a clamp is loose you will see a leak.

My friend has an Onan Gold. If i remember correct there is a small fuel filter or fuel regulator where the fuel line meets the carb. We had a leak there camping once. To get by i bought a small barb fitting. I think down the road we ended up buying the real replacement part.

I just cant remember if its a filter or regulator. But there is a chance that is restricting your fuel flow randomly. Can you post a picture of your genny. Close enough to zoom and see the carb?

I can go check my GFs rig. Will see if she has the insulated fuel line. Will also check to see if we replaced that little part at the carb. I will often gravity feed the genny gasoline when we have issues. That way the fuel pump and filters are eliminated from the troubleshooting. Only issue would be if that little part is a pressure regulator. Cant remember if ive gravity fed the genny with that part installed. Hopefully its just a small filter.
wopachop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2023, 07:15 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
Didnt you already replace the fuel lines? I wouldnt bother with anything upstream of the fuel pump. If a clamp is loose you will see a leak.

My friend has an Onan Gold. If i remember correct there is a small fuel filter or fuel regulator where the fuel line meets the carb. We had a leak there camping once. To get by i bought a small barb fitting. I think down the road we ended up buying the real replacement part.

I just cant remember if its a filter or regulator. But there is a chance that is restricting your fuel flow randomly. Can you post a picture of your genny. Close enough to zoom and see the carb?

I can go check my GFs rig. Will see if she has the insulated fuel line. Will also check to see if we replaced that little part at the carb. I will often gravity feed the genny gasoline when we have issues. That way the fuel pump and filters are eliminated from the troubleshooting. Only issue would be if that little part is a pressure regulator. Cant remember if ive gravity fed the genny with that part installed. Hopefully its just a small filter.
I replaced one piece of the line. The line comes out of the fuel tank, into a fuel filter (small guy), which screws into the fuel pump, which then feeds the carb. It's actually pretty simple. I'm going to get the MH tomorrow afternoon, and will do another inspection based on some of the comments. I can take the fuel line off of the carb, press the prime switch, and fuel squirts out the line about 12-18" or so (it's a low pressure - 3psi - pump). I'm leaning towards this is a heat or control board issue. I'll report back after I've looked some more.

Al
Old 01-24-2023, 10:43 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
So I first did a visual inspection today, and can not for the life of me find a squirrel cage that someone was talking about. Fuel hoses are all good and tight, connections look good - EXCEPT - the connection to the low oil sensor. It was all oily, and loose. So I cleaned it, then gave it a spray of DeoxIT, tightened the female spade, and it's now clean and tight. So the first test is it's sitting in the driveway running and will be until late today. If it passes that test the next one will be running it while we're going down the road. To you genny guys, I'm assuming that switch is a fail open switch? If it is that could explain why it shuts off while rolling down the road. Oily and loose, not good.

More to come....

Al
Old 01-25-2023, 03:30 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Update #1 - genny ran for 5 hours sitting in the driveway, no issues. Today we pull out for a weeks trip to the panhandle (NationalRV Rally) and we'll see if it runs the entire time we're on the road.

Al
Old 01-25-2023, 09:14 AM   #19

To think all that time and effort chasing it. Turns out to be a 1 minute fix on a loose connector.
Hope thats it. Strange that it wouldnt throw a code for low oil though. I would start the genny, pull off that connector, see if it shows the same code as before.
Old 01-25-2023, 10:36 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
To think all that time and effort chasing it. Turns out to be a 1 minute fix on a loose connector.
Hope thats it. Strange that it wouldnt throw a code for low oil though. I would start the genny, pull off that connector, see if it shows the same code as before.
Yeah, that would be funny, but the good news would be I've learned more about my genny, and that's always good. We are heading out in about an hour, so it will be running while on the road, so when we get to the campsite if it is still running I might try your suggestion. Good idea, and we'll see what code it throws.

Al
Old 01-26-2023, 03:31 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Update #2 - Genny ran for 2 hours while sitting on the street waiting to leave (we had a prior commitment but I had everything ready to pull out when were were done) and then only ran about 60 minutes before it shut off. Dang....the search continues....

It was warm here yesterday (about 84) so I'm thinking overheating now.

Question - how do I post a photo?

Al
Old 01-26-2023, 03:54 AM   #22
Community Administrator

See post #8 on this link for instructions on how to post
photos .

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/foru...tml#post477709

Quote:
Update #2 - Genny ran for 2 hours while sitting on the street waiting to leave (we had a prior commitment but I had everything ready to pull out when were were done) and then only ran about 60 minutes before it shut off. Dang....the search continues....

Al

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:20 AM   #23

Quote:

Al
Ours is a Onan 4000 but developed similar symptoms a few years back. It'd run 30 minutes one time and a couple of hours the next before shutting down. Replacing the fuel pump did the trick.

I realize the OP has already changed it out but it's possible the new pump could be bad.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:47 AM   #24

I don't see where you tried my suggestion.. any reason why ?
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 01-26-2023, 11:04 AM   #25

Do you have a temp gun? There are 3 things i would do.

1. Genny stops, how much gas drained out the carb?
2. Genny is running, whats the engine temp? Genny dies, whats the engine temp now?
3. Pull off the oil sensor connector and note the code it throws.
Old 01-26-2023, 07:58 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
I don't see where you tried my suggestion.. any reason why ?
Good luck and keep us posted
Yes, because it only stops when I'm driving, and at this point my driving has been on a scheduled trip, and it sometimes difficult to know when it exactly stops and then to find a place to pull over and try your suggestion. Remember, it never stops when in the driveway.

Al
Old 01-26-2023, 08:01 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Do you have a temp gun? There are 3 things i would do.

1. Genny stops, how much gas drained out the carb?
2. Genny is running, whats the engine temp? Genny dies, whats the engine temp now?
3. Pull off the oil sensor connector and note the code it throws.
See my last post for numbers one and two. I do have a Fluke IR temp gun, so next trip I'll bring it with me (we are out for a week right now).

I forgot to pull off the oil sensor today when we got to the CG. I think that is a good idea and will do so if I get a few minutes tomorrow or Saturday. We are at a rally for the next 3 days.

See the next update....

Al
Old 01-26-2023, 08:03 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Update #3 - genny ran the entire 280 miles today. The only difference was outdoor temps were 30-35 degrees cooler than yesterday. Only ran 60 minutes yesterday after we pulled out.

Al

Tags
onan