Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2022, 06:10 PM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
Convection microwave

Our Sharp convection microwave stops working after 59 seconds. I've read this in a common problem. The DW never uses the convection feature so am thinking may just a standard microwave which is a bunch cheaper.

Regardless, I've got to remove the unit which I've read is pretty heavy. Also I'm not sure how it's secured. Anyone remove a unit and able to provide some helpful hints.
2016 Jeep Wrangler JKU Willys trim
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2022, 06:21 PM   #2

A picture would help but normally there is a trim kit around it that also fastens to the cabinet. Two people helps because as you pull it out someone has to feed the cord thru the hole where it passes into the adjacent cabinet and plugs in.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 06:52 PM   #3

They aren't much heavier than a regular kitchen microwave.

The trim kit around the unit/cabinet is usually pretty straightforward to remove with a few screws. Then it likely just slides out.

Good luck!
Chris
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:33 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb1st View Post
Our Sharp convection microwave stops working after 59 seconds. I've read this in a common problem. The DW never uses the convection feature so am thinking may just a standard microwave which is a bunch cheaper.

Regardless, I've got to remove the unit which I've read is pretty heavy. Also I'm not sure how it's secured. Anyone remove a unit and able to provide some helpful hints.
Normally there is no trim covering anything on the sides. It is a snug fit, with the cabinets butting up to it on both sides. There should be a trim panel over the top that is 4"-6" by the width of the microwave. Which by the way is 29 7/8", 1/8" smaller than a standard 30" microwave.

The unit is held in with 2 20" long bolts that come up from the bottom. Remove the vent screens that are on the bottom of the oven and you will see them. I believe they have 7/16 bolt heads. The unit also sits into a mounting bracket on the back that has a small lip on it. After you remove the 2 bolts, with another person holding the microwave up and back, the two of you can lift it up and out. Have cardboard or blocks to set it down on.

It is about twice the weight of a standard microwave. When mine went on my 2000 HR I looked everywhere for something cheaper to replace it. Since my opening was too small to put a 30" microwave in, the choice was to go to a small apartment size or do some major modifications to the cabinet. Also, since there is no cabinet support under it, it just hangs on a bracket that is fastened to the wall. Frequently there will be a bracket across the top, near the front to add a little extra support to the front. In theory, the bouncing in a motorhome, with time could cause the bracket to loosen a little letting the front of the oven to drop, making it unlevel in a level coach.

I've never seen any other microwave fasten this way. I looked at every under-the-cabinet microwave, and microwave convection in several brands. Since a decent under the cabinet was around $350, I sprung for the direct replacement Sharp at $500. It was a straightaway bolt-in. Fit just like the original, was a considerable upgrade from the 15-year-old unit that I replaced. I did not even change the heavy metal bracket that holds it to the wall.

Just a thought. It is usually the control board that fails. They can be repaired but an electronics shop may flinch. I took my old one with me to Mexico, as we have lots of electronics repaired there. Repair to the control board was $35. The local Canadian RV tech from Canada had it rebuilt, put it in his inventory, and every time one craps out on him down there, he swaps it out and takes the bad one back to the electronics shop.

http://files.sharpusa.com/Downloads/...448.1562126481
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 03:51 PM   #5

I replaced the Sharp convection microwave with a standard sized microwave last year. We cook almost everything on our Blackstone, so we did not need a convection unit.

Here are some pics I took of the un-install. Installation is basically the reverse. You will need to drill out the rivets and install the new backwall mount with new rivets. I added additional bracing under the cabinet to receive the new upper bolts and provide additional stability.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mico 1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	373259

Name:	micro 2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	373260

Name:	micro 3.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	373261

Name:	micro 4.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	373262
VolDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:47 PM   #6

The new sharps fit right in the old mounts. Ordered mine through lowes. Worth the money to me to not have to modify anything.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:28 PM   #7

Rexhall Owners Group
Voldog thanks for the reply and pix. Since we both have Fleetwood Motorhomes, it's likely mine is attached like yours. Did you have to modify the cabinet to fit the replacement unit?

As an aside, is the Blackstone you are referring to a portable grill? If so, if've seen a few and they look pretty nice.
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 02:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb1st View Post
Voldog thanks for the reply and pix. Since we both have Fleetwood Motorhomes, it's likely mine is attached like yours. Did you have to modify the cabinet to fit the replacement unit?

As an aside, is the Blackstone you are referring to a portable grill? If so, if've seen a few and they look pretty nice.
Hi Gary,

No, I did not have to modify the cabinet. I purchased a non-labeled Whirlpool microwave from Lowes on sale for $199. It's a standard sized microwave. The only modification I made was adding the 2x4 under the upper cabinet using some l-brackets. I did this to strengthen the upper mount and the upper mount holes for the new microwave were slightly off from the Sharp unit I was replacing. I simply drilled new holes in the added 2x4.

The wall mount is very easy to remove. Drill out 8-10 aluminum rivets from the Sharp microwave wall mount. They are aluminum and drill out very easily.

I then used my Harbor Freight $10 rivet gun to install new rivets using the new microwave wall mount. Again, very easy. Then it was a mater of following the installation instructions for the new microwave.

As for the Blackstone, I love cooking on it and prefer to cook outside. You can cook 2-3 packs of bacon at once, about 20 eggs or 10-15 pancakes. We also love to cook hibachi chicken and steak with rice on it. Taste just like a fancy Japanese restaurant. Try it and you will never go back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	micro 5.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	373407  
VolDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 04:16 AM   #9

You can find regular microwaves at all the big box stores - it's hard to find convection microwave ovens anymore - seems the convection option has moved to the regular ovens now.
Make sure you notice how the door opens on your existing - make sure the way the door pivots on it's hinges, on the new one match the old so you aren't shocked to find out you can't open the new one.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave