RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2020, 08:40 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Convection Oven Use -NEWBIE

For years we bragged that we didn't cook. Eating out was our lifestyle. At the beginning of the year I changed my lifestyle to a keto diet program. A couple months ago we started doing some cooking with a slow cooker but I want things like meatloaf and some keto friendly baked items. I've done some Googling and Youtube videos to get a little smarter and hopefully capable of asking reasonably smart questions. So...

1. It looks like most of the videos show the use of a rack on the turntable which would seem to make the size of cookware be important to fit while it rotates. Our turntable is 12" diameter so that would seem to restrict the size of rectangular/square pans to fit. As an example a 5"X10" loaf pan or 8"X8" square pan would work. Is there a good source for these sizes of cookware you can recommend?

2. Can you properly use a larger cookie sheet on a rack that doesn't rotate? My understanding is that the convection cooking benefits from the rotation to make the cooking be even.

3. I've seen a couple thoughts on cooking time and temps. One school is to reduce either the time or temp by about 25%. The other seems to say reduce both by 25%. Of course, I am assuming there is a little trial and error no matter what. So, reduce both or just one seems to be normal?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2020, 08:52 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Following, got NO clue how to use the convection part.

Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:34 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
1. Get Pyrex bakeware from Bed Bath and Beyond
2. There should be a stationary metal rack that goes in for baking. Especially for things like cookies
3. Reduce temp, time stays same

Happy baking
Old 03-23-2020, 11:41 PM   #4

I have been learning how to use mine, so far it has worked awesome. Pizza that used to be 22 mins in the regular oven is now 18 min with 0 preheat time. So far I've set the temp to what the recipe calls for, and shorten the time just a bit, it is a bit of trial and error, burn a few things and you will get it.....
Old 03-24-2020, 03:19 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
General guidance for convection vs. traditional radiant baking/roasting is to reduce temperature by 25 degrees Fahrenheit. Some convection microwaves, like my GE Profile, have a user-configurable option to do this automatically. Mine also has a setting to disable the turntable rotation to permit larger cookware.
slowmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:39 AM   #6

There is a conversion feature on the control panel

Oven seems to work fine with minimal compensation for temperature

Dont forget to take out the rack
Old 03-24-2020, 05:15 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Yes there is a button to turn off the turn table. I did try cooking without the racks and it doesn't work very well. It makes it take a lot longer. My OEM racks were available on ebay for a ridiculous $40.00 each. Any small baking rack will do and will work fine in microwave mode. One rack is 2 inches tall and the other is 3.5 inches tall. You use the tall one if the dish you are cooking needs browning on top. I tried cooking only using the convection part. That didn't work so well. It took a lot longer than I expected. Then I found the golden egg. It's called Convection Roast. This feature combines the microwave function with the convection function and cooking times were cut tremendously. I now use the same temp but cut the cooking time off of traditional baking time by about 20-25%. The only caveat to this is you have to make sure and cook in a microwave friendly pan.
https://enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:31 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Every oven is different, and not every one specifies or allows the use of metal racks in microwave mode, but racks multiply oven space. It is a great feature, and one of my hard requirements for selecting an oven.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	278931
slowmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Yes there is a button to turn off the turn table. I did try cooking without the racks and it doesn't work very well. It makes it take a lot longer. My OEM racks were available on ebay for a ridiculous $40.00 each. Any small baking rack will do and will work fine in microwave mode. One rack is 2 inches tall and the other is 3.5 inches tall. You use the tall one if the dish you are cooking needs browning on top. I tried cooking only using the convection part. That didn't work so well. It took a lot longer than I expected. Then I found the golden egg. It's called Convection Roast. This feature combines the microwave function with the convection function and cooking times were cut tremendously. I now use the same temp but cut the cooking time off of traditional baking time by about 20-25%. The only caveat to this is you have to make sure and cook in a microwave friendly pan.
The rack is missing from our oven, so I'll have to buy something.

Does the rack need to stay a certain distance from the interior walls?
Old 03-25-2020, 12:46 PM   #10
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
The rack is missing from our oven, so I'll have to buy something.

Does the rack need to stay a certain distance from the interior walls?
No, convection cooking simply requires sufficient space for the heated air to move around. There are no measurements that matter.

Convection cooking has been around for many years and isn't limited to these little ovens we have in RVs. We had convection ovens in the past several homes we've had.

The only real difference is that rather than having an exposed heat source in the oven (an electric heating element or gas flame) the heat is delivered to the food through "convection" which simply means "moving air." There's no magic--the moving air heats the food more effectively so it cooks a bit faster and/or you can lower the temperature.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:09 PM   #11

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2020, 06:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwyble View Post
1. Get Pyrex bakeware from Bed Bath and Beyond
2. There should be a stationary metal rack that goes in for baking. Especially for things like cookies
3. Reduce temp, time stays same

Happy baking
Note that there is "PYREX" and there is "pyrex"...

"PYREX" was made by Corning, while products with the name 'pyrex' (all lowercase) are made by a chinese company called World Kitchen and are made out of clear tempered high-thermal-expansion soda-lime glass, which has a much lower thermal shock resistance, making them susceptible to explosions in the kitchen.

A while back I had a chicken in my oven at 350F... I took it out of the oven and set the "pyrex" dish on my kitchen counter (thick 4 inch square tiles)... the dish exploded. Fortunately I wear glasses and was wearing thick oven mittens...

I did some research... old "PYREX" handles temperature changes, new "pyrex" is stronger when it comes to physical abuse. Old "PYREX" breaks into sharp small shrapnel while new "pyrex" breaks into larger pieces. I haven't dropped a baking dish in 30 years... I'd rather have the temperature tolerance.

The defining property of PYREX was thermal durability. That's how it was sold to generations of customers, and most people don't know that new "pyrex" doesn't act like old borosilicate PYREX. "Impact strength" sounds like a cover story put out by the company that owns the trademark now. No one expects any glass product to survive a drop to a hard surface. People do expect Pyrex to withstand temperature change...

I've kept my grandmothers and mothers "PYREX" and have bought replacements at garage sales and church rummage sales as (as far as I know) it's no longer available new in the USA. The good "PYREX" is available in Europe, but watch it, their measuring cups are different... one example: Americans have 16 fluid ounces in their pint, whereas the British have 20.

More info here: (remove the extra spaces)
https: // www.popsci.com/science/article/2011-03/gray-matter-cant-take-heat/

Mike
Old 03-25-2020, 07:56 PM   #13
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
Note that there is "PYREX" and there is "pyrex"...

"PYREX" was made by Corning, while products with the name 'pyrex' (all lowercase) are made by a chinese company called World Kitchen and are made out of clear tempered high-thermal-expansion soda-lime glass, which has a much lower thermal shock resistance, making them susceptible to explosions in the kitchen.
With all due respect,this story is a lot more complicated than is reflected in this sort of anti-Chinese internet story.

If you want to read about the very long, involved history of borosilicate Pyrex and soda-lime Pyrex you can read this: https://gizmodo.com/the-pyrex-glass-...die-1833040962
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:06 PM   #14

For convection baking I was taught to reduce oven temperature 75 degrees below conventional oven baking recommended temperature but never below 300 degrees. Baking time then remains the same as the original recipe calls out. This rule has worked very well for me for many years.

Tags