Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #1

Converter Float Mode Voltage

I have an 9 year old Iota DLS 55 Converter and was thinking about adding their IQ4 Smart Charge module which provides three stage charging. Their specs indicate the float mode voltage is 13.6 V. The unit is outputting 13.5 V as it is (read at the battery location on full battery charge). My unit is a 35' Class A, the converter in located at the rear and the house batteries are at the very front so I expect some drop in the voltage.
I leave my converter on 24/7 full time and have never had any problem. I do check and add water appx. every six months.

Is 13.5 or 13.6 float voltage normal for most brands? What advantage would I get by adding the Smart Charge module, if any?

Dave
jdr37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #2

Anything above 13.2 up to 13.6 would be a good maintenance charge.
Does your charger step up to about 14.2 v when first plugged in to shore power ?
Having to add much water to the batteries?
I'm running an antique ( original )charger with a manual high rate charge of 14.2 , switch it down on the second day in the park to 13.2 batteries are fine, and I'll stick with it , unless it fails .
JMHO. your fine as is.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #3

Thanks, The specs indicate volt output of "13.4 - 14 @full load"
I have never checked it when first plugged in so I don't know if it goes up to 14 or not. I don't have to add a lot of water and have never had a problem. I get 4 years out of a set of inexpensive ($75 -$80 each)batteries so I'm a happy camper. I was just curious about "Float" voltage as I expected it to be in the 12.75 range.
jdr37
jdr37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:18 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
The advantage of adding the smart charge module would be faster charging when you discharge the batteries. It will step up the voltage to over 14V when it detects that the batteries are discharged, then lowers it down to 13.6 to 13.8 after they are charged.

It is really useful if you camp without shore power and want to charge your batteries quickly with a generator, for example. Without the module it can take 8 hrs plus to fully charge the batteries that are significantly discharged, which is fine if you are hooked up all the time. With the module you can charge your discharged batteries in 2-3 hours.

"Float" voltage of 13.6 to 13.8 is a pretty standard voltage that will keep the batteries at 100% charge but not boil the electrolyte.

IMHO if you camp with electrical hookups most of the time you are fine without adding the module.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter