Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #1

converter misbehaving???

My batteries will not charge from shore power on our Fleetwood motorhome. They charge with the generator and rig alternator. I got at the converter under the fridge. 120 V to converter is OK. The 2 fuses in the back are OK. With the DC out wires connected I measure whatever the batteries are at, just today at 11.98 V, same as at the disconnected batteries exactly. When I disconnect the DC out cables and check the voltage at the converter terminals I get the unit rating of 13.6 V output.

Could the unit be damaged and unable to charge even though my meter measures the 13.6 V?

If I remember right this problem started when I installed a sine wave inverter last summer and blew it out trying to run something that drew too much current. I admit I did not have a fuse between the inverter and the batteries. I have not heard the fan run on this converter while we are camping for a while now.

Any suggestions? I am suspecting I need to replace this converter.

Thanks,

Ken
kernst52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2018, 07:24 PM   #2

you're referring to your CHARGER, not your converter, if you are concerned that your batteries are not being charged, at least while on shore power.

If the charger is working, as it must be, since the generator is doing it's job, then it doesn't sound like it's the charger itself, but maybe the wiring from the Shore Power to the Charger. If you changed your Inverter, which should include the charger, maybe you have missed something on the install wiring.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:33 PM   #3

First, your converter runs off the generator OR shore power, to charge the house batteries. The generator has no charging system of its own.

The engine charging is independent of the converter.

If its not working on shore power, it shouldn't be working on generator power.

Your test of output voltage, with and without a battery on the converter says its bad OR the batteries are shorted out.

If you could connect the converter output to a seperate, known good, battery, and do the voltage test again, that would confirm it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:36 PM   #4

Are the reverse polarity fuses good? Sounds like the charger is working as you're getting 13.6 volts out but it's not getting to the battery.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:31 PM   #5

Yes, it does not seem to be getting to the batteries. The batteries charge quickly when running the engine so I doubt it is the batteries. Where are the reverse polarity fuses? I checked the two 30-amp fuses on the back of the charger and they are good.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernst52 View Post
Yes, it does not seem to be getting to the batteries. The batteries charge quickly when running the engine so I doubt it is the batteries. Where are the reverse polarity fuses? I checked the two 30-amp fuses on the back of the charger and they are good.
Really not sure where they are on your rig. They might be the ones you checked on the back of the charger. Mine are located on the DC fuse panel.

Do all of the 12 volt loads work with no shore power connected? Or conversly, do they work on shore power with the battery disconnected? Do you have a battery disconnect switch that might be off?
Old 04-09-2018, 10:15 PM   #7

The other thing that you might look for is a circuit breaker in the positive lead from the battery. It may be tripped and need to be reset. It should be close to the battery.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:12 AM   #8

I reread your initial post and it sounds like you have good voltage from the battery at the converter so everything has to be good from the battery to the converter. Sure sounds like a blown fuse or something open at the converter.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:50 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
I was helping a friend with his 2006 Fleetwood that had the same problem. One of the in line 300amp fuses near the battery bank was blown keeping the converter/charger power from reaching the house batteries.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:57 AM   #10

If there is a battery fuse blown, he wouldn't get the 11.97 volt reading at the converter connections.

A 300 amp fuse would be used in a inverter/charger, not a converter/ charger.

The two fuses, in the back of the converter, are the reverse polarity fuses. They fail if the wires are reversed.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #11

Bought 2 new 6 volt batteries. I noticed the old ones were 3-1/2 years old and were bulging out at the sides. They measure 12.6 volts installed. Right now I am plugged into shore power and will turn on 12 volt lights to see if the charger kicks in. If they run down again I will try it with the generator to see what voltage I get at the batteries. My next step will be to replace the charger/converter.

Thanks for the help. I got me pointed in the right directions.

Ken
Old 04-11-2018, 04:31 PM   #12

Plugged in, you should see 13.+? Volts.
If your only seeing 12.6 volts, there is no charging happening.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
First, your converter runs off the generator OR shore power, to charge the house batteries. The generator has no charging system of its own.

The engine charging is independent of the converter.

If its not working on shore power, it shouldn't be working on generator power.

Your test of output voltage, with and without a battery on the converter says its bad OR the batteries are shorted out.

If you could connect the converter output to a seperate, known good, battery, and do the voltage test again, that would confirm it.
Some RV generators have a battery charging circuit. They can have either a belt-driven alternator just like an automotive alternator, or a 12 vdc rectifier/voltage regulator powered by a dedicated battery winding in the stator.

I suspect there is an issue with the convertor. It appears to be working when running the generator because it's actually the generator charging the batteries.
flatmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatmaster View Post

Some RV generators have a battery charging circuit.

Do you know that this 2007 Fleetwood has a generator installed charging system ?

Knowing the cost cutting, of RV builders, I doubt it.

Tags
converter